Using PCMFlash & Scanmatik 2 Pro to "write"

Anything not covered in the other forums.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Using PCMFlash & Scanmatik 2 Pro to "write"

Unread post by ATPCR »

Late yesterday, I had on the bench before me the $20- '98 Explorer V-6 test PCM. Almost 2 weeks ago it was the very first PCM that I "read" with TunerPro RT and the Moates Quarterhorse. The next experiment would be to convert the 256k 0-1-8-9 bin file to 224k 1-8-0-9. After conversion "write" it back over itself in the test PCM. My results were an unsuccessful "write". I got this message and another. The pics may not be in order.
PCMFlash unsuccessful write.jpg
I really didn't expect any issues. I assumed, (and I have had to assume a lot during the "learning" process. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm not),
I assumed that the bin file converted from TunerPro 256k to PCMFlash 224K that it would be a simple process to write it back over the original bin file contained within the PCM. I'm glad that I do have a test PCM to experiment on.
pcmflash warning.jpg
Also a question about PCMFlash. In using module #29, when the program is open, on the selection list it says EEC-V 216k. I didn't notice that during the first 2 PCMFlash OBD2 reads. Is there a 224k vs 216k issue? or does it just say that being "European" software? The read files are 224k.
Capture pcmflash specs.PNG
Thanks for the continued guidance.
ADDED:8:37 central Is part of the problem my "test" PCM? Is it technically a 1997?
Capture98QQsnip.PNG
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Re: Using PCMFlash & Scanmatik 2 Pro to "write"

Unread post by ATPCR »

I think that I got it. I went to settings and configured them such.
PCMFlash settings.jpg
The next test may or may not work. My current "driver, beater" is a '97 V-6 4.0 SOHC. The PCM is from a '98 4.0 OHV. I'm going to see if a 4.0 SOHC engine will run on a 4.0 OHV program. An Explorer friend said it will work. I'm about to see sometime today. The firing order is the same so I don't think I will mess anything up trying. The stock PCM will be put back in after the test.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

They list as 216k cuz thats actually what it is rom wise, 224k includes ram and 256k contains all the filler for actual flat addressing. Its actually russian software.

They have to copyright the cal file a year before production so you will always see stock tunes being the year prior. Updates will come later like the 97 crown vic with the dealer flash update got a 2006 cal file.

Yeah it will run as you can damn near run anything on anything pretty much but its not ideal.

Other than the cam type, the different size injectors and that the OHV deletes 2nd gear they are pretty similar tunes. The SOHC will be neutered from the low timing running the OHV cal and fuel will be off probably 20% or more at idle. Interestingly enough they actually fuel very very closely up top.

This is comparing a SRE1 (SOHC) and LLA1 (OHV).
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

It worked. It started right up, and I ran it at idle for a minute before 2 easy vroom vrooms. Definitely not WOT! I undid the battery and hooked the stock one back up. Then nothing. (battery needs to be hooked back up too). Glad to see that I didn't have to pop the PCM out of the cowl pocket. Thanks for the continued help and info.