Using Ford IDS and VCM to flash tune?

Anything not covered in the other forums.
m-barans
Vehicle Information: 2003 Mercury Marauder 300A with new stock bore IRON 4.6 block, Manley crank, Manley H-tuff h-beam rods, CP pistons with stainless rings, ARP head studs, GT500 lash adjusters and rollers, D series cylinder heads, VMP GEN3R 2.65 L TVS blower, 80 lb/hr FRPP Siemens Deka injectors, HPX slot 100mm MAF, coyote mustang fuel pump with Holley 60 psi filter/regulator return at pump, Stainless works long tube headers and complete exhaust, Moates quarter horse and TunerPro RT with support from Decipha, RZASA strategy.

2001 Ford Lightning SVT F-150 stock engine w/ inlet ported M112, GT500 rollers, ARP head studs, metco quick change upper pulley with stock sized upper, K&N intake system, bassani SS exhaust system from the stock manifold flanges back. 4x4 trans oil pan. SSBC big brakes 14” up front. Work/Street truck. My “next to build” with trick flow heads (before extinction) with h-beams & cobra jet crank (sitting in tool box) and proper pistons. Next up after the marauder is dialed in.

Using Ford IDS and VCM to flash tune?

Unread post by m-barans »

Ok. We have Roush software and Ford software and they can both use the VCM pass through device to flash calibrations onto PCMs. File types look different between them. Whipple emails bin files and we have flashed them. Conceptually I believe I am missing something. Are all the tuning software companies just tweaking the strategy so all other's interfaces are confused? What is needed to take a RZASA custom bin made in Tunerpro art so that it can be flashed? Also, is it recommended to purchase the BE flash and QH package? Looks like both pieces of hardware are becoming or have already become obsolete.

My current objectives are to

1: flash a great base tune on the car in case my QH fails me.

2: be able to continue adjusting cal and dialing in with the QH
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Re: Using Ford IDS and VCM to flash tune?

Unread post by ATPCR »

@m-barans. I may be mistaken, but from your vehicle information it sounds like you already have a Moates Quarterhorse and TunerPro RT?
~10 days ago, I contacted the Core Tuning people and asked if Moates QH and BE combo was still available. They said that they have a few left. I don't know if this means 3 or 4 or 96. I purchased the package and early this week the Moates device and BE arrived.
Attachments
CaptureMQH&BE.PNG
Cougar281
Vehicle Information: 1995 Mercury Cougar
2002 PI 4.6L V8
1999 J-Modded 4R70W
2004 PTP2 PCM

Unread post by Cougar281 »

m-barans wrote: 2023 Oct 18, 22:47 Ok. We have Roush software and Ford software and they can both use the VCM pass through device to flash calibrations onto PCMs. File types look different between them. Whipple emails bin files and we have flashed them. Conceptually I believe I am missing something. Are all the tuning software companies just tweaking the strategy so all other's interfaces are confused? What is needed to take a RZASA custom bin made in Tunerpro art so that it can be flashed? Also, is it recommended to purchase the BE flash and QH package? Looks like both pieces of hardware are becoming or have already become obsolete.

My current objectives are to

1: flash a great base tune on the car in case my QH fails me.

2: be able to continue adjusting cal and dialing in with the QH
I don't think you could use Ford IDS to flash a TunerPro BIN. Your best bet there is PCMFlash, which should work with your VCM assuming it's J2534. I use my GM MDI2 with PCMFlash to do exactly what you describe with my Cougar (Yes, the GM MDI2 works with the Ford PCM - Chrysler too).
m-barans
Vehicle Information: 2003 Mercury Marauder 300A with new stock bore IRON 4.6 block, Manley crank, Manley H-tuff h-beam rods, CP pistons with stainless rings, ARP head studs, GT500 lash adjusters and rollers, D series cylinder heads, VMP GEN3R 2.65 L TVS blower, 80 lb/hr FRPP Siemens Deka injectors, HPX slot 100mm MAF, coyote mustang fuel pump with Holley 60 psi filter/regulator return at pump, Stainless works long tube headers and complete exhaust, Moates quarter horse and TunerPro RT with support from Decipha, RZASA strategy.

2001 Ford Lightning SVT F-150 stock engine w/ inlet ported M112, GT500 rollers, ARP head studs, metco quick change upper pulley with stock sized upper, K&N intake system, bassani SS exhaust system from the stock manifold flanges back. 4x4 trans oil pan. SSBC big brakes 14” up front. Work/Street truck. My “next to build” with trick flow heads (before extinction) with h-beams & cobra jet crank (sitting in tool box) and proper pistons. Next up after the marauder is dialed in.

Thank you for your response! I’m wondering if you have any recommendations on purchasing PCMflash or any details on how it works… I’m interested in finding a solution to my problem and learning more about how these things work.
m-barans

ATPCR wrote: 2023 Oct 19, 07:29 @m-barans. I may be mistaken, but from your vehicle information it sounds like you already have a Moates Quarterhorse and TunerPro RT?
~10 days ago, I contacted the Core Tuning people and asked if Moates QH and BE combo was still available. They said that they have a few left. I don't know if this means 3 or 4 or 96. I purchased the package and early this week the Moates device and BE arrived.
Thank you for the helpful info!
Cougar281
Vehicle Information: 1995 Mercury Cougar
2002 PI 4.6L V8
1999 J-Modded 4R70W
2004 PTP2 PCM

Unread post by Cougar281 »

m-barans

What about the mongoose setup? Can I use that to flash the tune to the PCM? Can I use tunerpro bin file with that or do I need to use binary editor with it?