ECU Tools security dongle & Mongoose Pro for Ford

Anything not covered in the other forums.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

ECU Tools security dongle & Mongoose Pro for Ford

Unread post by ATPCR »

I guess that it what this little piece is called that plugs into the USB port on the laptop. I recently ordered module #29 from ECU Tools. I paid for the one module plus shipping. This question is for Michael or anyone else that knows the answer. I have the USB security key dongle. What do I do with it? Where does the # 29 module come from? a download? something sent to me in an e-mail? Do I now let Oleg know that the key arrived?
serc dongle.jpg
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: ECU Tools security dongle

Unread post by decipha »

you download pcmflash and your good to go
mechanicalmatch
Vehicle Information: 00 F150 4.6L Extended cab
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

Unread post by mechanicalmatch »

It has been a while since I got mine but from memory, you download pcm flash and there was a registration or activation process in which you send in something like a device code and they send a response code back which activates the software. Sorry I am probably butchering the details. It has been a long time.
I have a dedicated laptop for tuning. I put a tiny dab of super glue on the dongle to make sure the dongle doesn't fall out while moving around and bumping into things. The software is registered to that dongle so if you loose it you will have to buy again.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

I've completed the task of copying the dongle info and emailing it back as a txt file. I'm waiting on something back. Is that when I receive module #29 or do I already have it in an older email? I need to look back through my email.
mechanicalmatch
Vehicle Information: 00 F150 4.6L Extended cab
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

Unread post by mechanicalmatch »

It gets activated from the response file they send you back. I think you had to send a couple files back and forth. It has been a while , I may be remembering this wrong.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

@mechanicalmatch I believe that you are correct on the back and forth a couple of times. I have a computer literate friend that has been helping too with the back and forth. He is good at interpreting the directions. I appreciate both of your help as I step into the unknown.
Having to do with another aspect of this project, I have been assembling a "bench test adapter" from an OBDII DLC and 104 pin PCM connector. I have just a little soldering left to do. Pin #16 on the DLC appears that it may power up the VCM2/J2534 device that I previously purchased.
Soon I will be asking how to apply/use the ECUtools software to read an old 1998 Explorer V-6 PCM that I picked up for $20 as a test PCM.
My assumption would be to read/copy the file/s and modify it then write it back into the PCM? In my uncountable hours of internet study, I can't find a video of anyone doing this to a Ford OBDII EECV. Would Michael be offended if anyone were to share? Michael will probably end up doing the "local" tune when I'm to the point on the vehicle that the engine gets rebuilt and 2003 PCM installed. I would be towing from no Alabama to near coastal LA. Maybe he will still be at this by the time that I reach that point. Thanks to all of you that have helped me. Greg
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

when i got my dongle -back when
I got it with a handful of modules on it and it was good to go soon as i plugged it in. Mine came from oleg though. I think these days the dongles are shipping from elsewhere and you have to update it for the modules you order. In that case open pcmflash and send the hardware code to ecutools they will send u an update code and you should be good to go.

pin 16 goes to dlc2 thats scp data+

pin out is on the homepage
http://efidynotuning.com/pinouts.htm

No I wouldnt be offended thats what the forum is for. You probably cant find a video because it would be the shortest video is history. You literally click read and it reads the file and when its done it asks you to save the file.

yes your assumption is correct theres nothing to it
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

pin 16 of the data link connector (OBD2 port)
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Well I got all of the security key dongle stuff situated and downloaded PCMflash and when attempting to use it, I'm getting this message:
"Unable to use selected interface (J2534 Teradyne-GNA600)
Check to see if it's connected and not in use by other applications.
Well some the lights on the knock off J2534 device are on from being plugged into the laptop and more come on when I hook up 12.4 volt car battery power. I have a bench test connector that I have made and all that is good, soldered and heat shrink-ed.I have an on/off switch on the box to be the key on/running function.
I don't know if this J2534 will work for this. I need someone who can test it for me to make sure that is not the problem.
I may need to get a Mongoose and Quarterhorse device/s. Some time back some company was selling them as a pair.
It's possible though that I don't have a setting correct in the PCMflash software.
Cougar281
Vehicle Information: 1995 Mercury Cougar
2002 PI 4.6L V8
1999 J-Modded 4R70W
2004 PTP2 PCM

Unread post by Cougar281 »

If it's a J2534 spec device, it SHOULD work... I'm using a GM MDI2 with PCMFlash to read and flash the Ford EEC-V's.