1997 Mountaineer 5.0 for Coil-near-plug swap

Place for your vehicle notes and blow-by-blow build threads.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 for Coil-near-plug swap

Unread post by decipha »

ect and cht are not interchangeable.

ect is a simple thermister and just a simple potentiometer reads it. CHT requires dual resistor hardware to determine which slope its on.

I wrote ect code for rzasa thus why I always recommend the 03/04 ecus as they have the most inputs and outputs of any ecu so you can do pretty much anything you want with it.

also, no manuals needed as the pinouts are on the homepage under reference
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

In post #26 I have pictures out of the 1999 Crown Vic pinout charts. The arrangement doesn't match what is in the big charts 1999 to 2004. The 1999 CV pinout chart that I have doesn't match the 1998 Crown Vic pinout chart column either. I think that a column could be added for the 1999 Crown Vic pcms.
ADDED: I just looked at "view source" and the HTML edit would be time consuming to add a column to your chart.
Below is a picture of the books that I'm using for reference. My 1997 MM 5.0 was built at the half year point in March 1996 and this Mountaineer wiring book is an early release and could be very rare.
1999cv1997mm1999cv books.jpg
ADDED: In my chart in my 1999 CV book I have a CHT listed at pin #45. I would think that is where I need to pin the engine coolant temperature wire.
Early on in this project I had determined that #66 cyl head temp ( a dry sensor) would not be used.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

I think it time for me to do a little 'splainin', southern for explaining. 4 years ago my 1997 Mountaineer broke down. I had an idea that the coil-on-plug system off of a V-8 Ford could be adapted to the 5.0. I knew that they both used a 36-1 trigger wheel. Then I got a bit misdirected and decided that I would use the Holley Terminator Max system. But the cost of it was just too much. The big turnoff on that system was that it would indicate misfires but it would only tell you left or right bank. I thought that for the money it should tell which of the 8 is misfiring. Then I purchased a totaled 1999 Crown Vic P71 cop car that a friend needed the engine for, for an R&R. That left the powertrain control harness and pats turned off pcm available. ARA1 was printed on it and only recently have determined that it has been flash upgraded to ARA3. Now it has been over two years ago since I have obtained these 1999 parts. Admittedly this method of PATS delete was my poor man's approach to making this powertrain system make my 1997 MM function.
12 and a half months ago I was told about efidynotuning site. I read and read and read and mention of the 2003 and 2004 Marauders and other big Fords pcms were the best to use. So I purchased a used 2003 pcm and later two new, "new old stock" Ford pcms. Now I'm starting to get too much stuff.
I studied the Crown Vic powertrain harness and it is a mess of wires. It is only recently that I decided to modify the 1997 Merc Mountaineer harness to work with the coil on plug pcms. I also decided to back up a bit and revert back to my ARA1-3 idea and not waste good parts. Not stuff them in a box somewhere and 20 years from now when I'm 80+, find this box of antique stuff that good money was spent on and never got used.
The totaled cop car ran well but was undrivable because one of the rear axles was sheared off in a side angel collision.
The '99 pcm is tunable. This vehicle is not a race vehicle, It is used sometimes for trailer towing and I'm fully aware that this site is geared towards CUSTOM TUNING, RACING & SUPERFORMANCE. However the fundamentals are exactly the same.
I do have 3 more 5.0 projects planned and I guess that means I need 1 more 2003-04 pcm. I have the 99 CV harness that is only missing the DTRS connector. I have a 1996 4.6 Thunderbird harness that will take the same amount of work to modify and also I need another harness for project 4. I think that a 2003 Mustang harness would be a good harness to start with because of the pcm location. I also would like to do a CNP 351W project and from asking wwhite questions it seems that my target vehicle to get parts for this would be a near running 1996 Windsor powered truck and make sure that it has the 4 star wheel on the HB/damper.
So in a nutshell, I do know what is going on here. I may not have the experience, Yet, to tune, but I have the equipment and learning how to use it.
I'm still all invested, not counting dozens of hours, but cash invested, I'm right at what the Holley system would have cost.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Happy 3-06. Current state of my project is as follows. The harness has taken more time than it should have however now that i figured out that I needed to add 3 DTRS wires to the transmission end of the harness all the way to the pcm, things are speeding up on it. Last night, I got the harness taped to the point of where the EGR plug is sticking out. That has me on hold and to the point of needing more advice. If I don't say it enough, thank you Michael P and all off you other guys too.
I'm deleting the EGR. I have read somewhere here and can't quite find the info to redesignate the main EGR wire? to use with a wideband O2 sensor in the act of RealTime tuning. At this point should I just keep wrapping and let this connector hang out of the harness? I haven't clipped it off so that at a glance, I know what it is. The weekend of the 17th I started on this and determined that it was best to work from the back to the front. Start with the VSS and work forward. It didn't take long to get stalled but as I determined that the DTRS wires would have to be added, was moving again. Early in the unwrapping of the harness, I was able to repurpose the rear O2 sensor wires to use for the 4 additional coil circuits needed. Then I was halted again. The Brother label maker ran out of thermal label tape. 5 days later, more tape. I didn't loose my place for long. I had roughed in the new coil wires and I'm glad that I didn't wrap that part of the harness up because the angle that the c-n-ps are sitting means that either the wires fore the coils need to be for or aft depending on which side of the engine or make sure that the coil wires are long enough before installing the over $9 each coil connectors.
At work where the truck is and blocking antique Mustang restoration projects, early in this week I have been able to get the coils on the brackets fitted for the first time. I had to get quite persistent with the Fabrication shop to finish up and then cut the brackets. If I was more PC literate, I would have designed them myself and used the online send-cut-send service. These were cut on a plasma cutting table and all of the edges look like cutting torch edges.
So as soon as I get the word as to what to do with the EGR wires, I can move forward on the harness. I have today that I could stay home for a while and could maybe even get close to finishing the harness to get it back on the powertrain.
Pictures below of fitting the brackets for the first time. The 1997 Mountaineer/Explorer one year only headers interfere. I'm going to have to do something different as it has to do with the exhaust.
Thanks again for the help. I've looked around on Michael's site and haven't found a donate button. I would like to donate because of how much this site has helped me so far.
1997mm coil bracket lh first fit.jpg
1997mm coil brackets first install.jpg
I must get back to work on the harness. This past Monday a guy came by my shop looking for an Explorer. He wants to buy my V-6 driver. He will buy it just as soon as I'm back in my Mountaineer. We shook hands on it. That doesn't happen much these days, a handshake contract!
ADDED: I'm reading this now...http://efidynotuning.com/config.htm
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

I have the EGR connector clipped. The EGR wire or/yw wire is pulled out from the harness and dangling. On the 97MM it was plugged into pin #63. I have moved it to pin #65 which matches the 99CV pinout location. Bk/w ground and gy/rd signal return have been clipped and insulated.
I have been studying the config information.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

ATPCR wrote: 2024 Mar 06, 08:12 In post #26 I have pictures out of the 1999 Crown Vic pinout charts. The arrangement doesn't match what is in the big charts 1999 to 2004. The 1999 CV pinout chart that I have doesn't match the 1998 Crown Vic pinout chart column either. I think that a column could be added for the 1999 Crown Vic pcms.
ADDED: I just looked at "view source" and the HTML edit would be time consuming to add a column to your chart.
Below is a picture of the books that I'm using for reference. My 1997 MM 5.0 was built at the half year point in March 1996 and this Mountaineer wiring book is an early release and could be very rare.
1999cv1997mm1999cv books.jpg
ADDED: In my chart in my 1999 CV book I have a CHT listed at pin #45. I would think that is where I need to pin the engine coolant temperature wire.
Early on in this project I had determined that #66 cyl head temp ( a dry sensor) would not be used.
99 crown vic is under RZASA is identical. The vss isn't listed but no biggie.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Friday later evening.
In preparation for the first firing, I'm doing a little work in TunerPro on the laptop here. I have my 1999 CV passenger car bin file loaded into TunerPro along with the CRAI8_230620 xdf file. I'm wanting to switch off PATS and adjust the gear ratio. Also, I want to switch off the rear O2 sensors. Also, you can see by the open parameter windows, I have several questions. I haven't changed anything and I assume that when I do, I will "save as" the file with a new name.
This snip is a pic of the PATS info as it is in the virgin bin file AFAIK. Also, in the snip you will see what I found when I searched for PATS and rear axle.
1999cv pass snip for PATS disabled.JPG
Here is a snippet of the bin file identification at the end of the file in hex.
1999 cv pass pcm id.JPG
Saturday early morning. I have been looking through parameters and flags.
This is not entirely virgin territory to me. Last summer when I had been attempting to purchase tuning and read/write equipment, there were delays caused by either the pandemic or the Russian/Ukraine war. I spent a lot of the delay time looking at files in TunerPro and TunerPro RT. Now I'm looking at all of this to make the changes that I need to make. Making changes is new territory for me. I do understand that to look at bin files in TunerPro, you use the 256K bin files. When it is time to flash the updated bin file, you convert to 224K to use the read/flash tool, Scanmatik in my case, to flash in the updated file via the OBDII port. Below is a screenshot from TunerPro currently.
1999 cv pass pcm parameter questions.JPG
It looks like I need to set PATS to disable it.
Now I'm studying about the Disable Hego 2
1999 cv pass pcm dis downstream o2 sensors.JPG
Any tips would be appreciated.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

You cant edit a craib file with crai8 its two different strategies, youll corrupt the file
also all you have to do is open the scp id scalar in tunerpro and it will show you the strategy / cal code tag

you need to download the yya2 file in the crai8 downloads, thats a stock 99 crown vic cal. yya2 is the police bin so theft is already disabled. 63.99 if max value (0xFF == null) which means your vid block wasnt setup on your ecu. Thats not uncommon.

the original bin file you read out can be deleted its absolutely useless since you dont need the pats code or vin from it.

I have a conversion script in the programming section of the forum to automatically convert file sizes for you.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Thanks for the info. You saved me a lot of time.
I've just opened the YYA2 bin obtained from this site and I'm looking at the end of it.
1998 cv YYAZ id snip.JPG
So even though it says CRAI8, it is different but it works with the xdf file?
I also possess a stock ARA3 flashed PCM from the junkyard. Should I write over the original file as well?
The 2nd PCM just mentioned has an ARA1 sticker on it but has been dealership or motor pool flashed to ARA3.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

I'm looking through parameters and I have several in the capture pic. Some of them I feel confident about switching off. Some not. I see PATS is switched off. Number of rear hegos could be changed to "0". OBDII_TST_EGR can be not set to skip test. Others I'm not sure of.
1998 cv YYAZ snip of parameters 01.JPG