Amperage Draw for 10 dead batteries?

Come shoot the shit or scope out the scenery. Either way this is for all non specific posts.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Amperage Draw for 10 dead batteries?

Unread post by decipha »

I'm thinking a 12v nominal car battery discharged down to 10.5 volts is going to take about 230-340ma minimum draw to charge if no load is placed on it. I have approx 10 batteries I'm going to be putting in a battery rack and tossing in the back of my work truck. I drive 2 hours each day so its plenty sufficient to maintain them. Using my worse case of 3.4 amps I'm assuming a 5 amp fuse should be more than sufficient.

I plan on using a spare trailer wiring connector I have so I can easily plug in the battery pack and let it trickle on my excursions. I figured a 5amp diode would be able to survive. Suppose we shall see.

Anyone have a more realistic number or done something like this before with any experiences?
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: Amperage Draw for 10 dead batteries?

Unread post by decipha »

well diode not needed my work truck - 2019 F-150 completely isolates the trailer circuit from the parking lamp circuit so it doesnt backfeed. I've had 9 batteries hooked for the past few days and all has been well.
wwhite
Vehicle Information: 1994 Flarside, XLT, 351w E4OD
SD48b, Quarter Horse, Burn2

Unread post by wwhite »

When I first read this post, I thought "WTF?"
I am assuming you have the 9 batteries hooked in parallel.
I am assuming all batteries are identical, same amp hours, etc.
In a perfect world, each battery would have the exact same voltage, same electrolyte, same age, and take the exact same charge

When a battery with a higher voltage is connected to a battery with a lower voltage, one battery will charge the other.
This process will continue, while draining each battery.

This 'auto-equalization' of each battery is what is going to cause you issues.

The results are unpredictable.
You may have created a 9-cell electro-hydrogen bomb in the back of your truck!
PaulC-turbo5.0
Vehicle Information: 1989 fox GT convertible
5.0 stock block, E7 heads, stock cam
Explorer GT40 intake flipped to driver side inlet
Single 67mm On3 BB turbo
Flipped JBA headers, custom SS 2.5" hotside built by me
custom 3" coldside thru On3 intercooler
tuning with Moates QH + TPRT
Dechipa's GUFX and supporting files, couldnt have tuned it myself without him!

Unread post by PaulC-turbo5.0 »

I am also curious as what the reason is behind wanting to do something like this, what is the need for 10 extra batteries? lol
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

correct
no
these are all different

yes im aware of the nominal voltage

As long as they all get up over 12 volts when charged i.e. no dead batteries then I don't see any issues. Yeah a dead battery would kill the others no doubt.

lol nah no worries..

I have too many vehicles that I don't drive often enough so Instead of rotating charges every so often its easier to maintain them by having them get a little juice each day to keep them topped off. I calculated out 136 hrs of engine run time with the alternator giving them 13+ volts. I'm thinking that would be better than using a charger to charge them every other month or so.

These also act as my backup inverter power backup when the electricity goes out during hurricanes and such.