MOATES -- FYI

Issues pertaining specifically to moates equipment belongs here.
efloth
Vehicle Information: 1991 F150 4.9L J1X 80lb Injectors E85
1995 F150 5.8L MOB1

Re: MOATES -- FYI

Unread post by efloth »

MX-Brad wrote: 2022 Dec 06, 15:40 According to a post on the Corral, MF Kustoms will be producing/selling the Quarterhorse. Decipha probably knows stuff, but is being very quiet. :)
Thanks for sharing that great news. I have been brainstorming and I believe the CPLD code should become part of the OpenEEC project so technically anyone could produce at least a F3 style device. The EEPROM and Xilinx chips appear to be available in smaller quantities. Does anyone have access to the PCB design for the F3V2? We should make everything public so we are never tied to a company that can be threatened or shutdown.

The Quarterhorse is one I'd leave to the professionals.
SOAB_465
Vehicle Information: 1998 Ford Mustang GT 5 speed box code BAI1, CRAI8
stock return fuel system with Walbro 255 in-tank pump and aeromotive adjustable regulator.

2008 4.6
PI Heads and Cams
9:1 forged pistons
Forged H-Beam Rods
60lb Deka injectors
BA2800 MAF
2.3L whipple supercharger intercooled approx 13 PSI

- tuning with TunerProRT

PLX Wideband
GM 3bar MAP

Unread post by SOAB_465 »

Coretuning.net bought all the remaing QH stock from Moates. At first they were offering standalone hardware for Moates Retail price, that's how I got mine. Now it looks like they want to sell you BE with it, but at least there's still a few left if you needed one.
wwhite
Vehicle Information: 1994 Flarside, XLT, 351w E4OD
SD48b, Quarter Horse, Burn2

Unread post by wwhite »

MX-Brad wrote: 2022 Dec 06, 15:40 According to a post on the Corral, MF Kustoms will be producing/selling the Quarterhorse. Decipha probably knows stuff, but is being very quiet. :)
You mean "accourding to @SorsCode'
Link: https://www.corral.net/threads/moates-i ... t-18751548
Quote:
"M.F. Kustoms (my company) will be reproducing the QuarterHorse. We have started the R&D already."
My first thought is ROTFFL.(sorry sorscode, but I've chatted with you in forums before, I don't see this happening, ...ever).

The best solution is for everyone to put their heads together, develop another J3 port adapter, no need to socket the EPROM since MBUS is available on the J3 port. Start with small project like EECSucka for reading, then implement the write.

OpenSource the design of hardware/software, follow rusefi project or something.
efloth
Vehicle Information: 1991 F150 4.9L J1X 80lb Injectors E85
1995 F150 5.8L MOB1

Unread post by efloth »

I was mistaken in thinking that a standard EEPROM could interface directly with the CPU so i agree the j3 port is the way to go. It would be nice to figure out a way to write the internal EPROM via j3 as I presume that is how Ford did it in the factory. It would be cool to do a uv erase like this: https://youtu.be/_sSuzDg4ntA
wwhite

Unread post by wwhite »

efloth wrote: 2022 Dec 08, 07:17 I was mistaken in thinking that a standard EEPROM could interface directly with the CPU so i agree the j3 port is the way to go. It would be nice to figure out a way to write the internal EPROM via j3 as I presume that is how Ford did it in the factory.
I am currently working on re-creating the E-sucka on the J3. I figure once I can read, writing shouldn't be too dificult.
I have all pin information, logic states and voltage levels that are required to write, its a matter of getting some time, a bread board and test.

The problem I see with writing to the stock EEPROM, is they are only good for 100-200 erase and writes. Failure would be inevitable on these old devices. I've got a bunch of test boxes with EPROM and EEPROM, not afraid of bricking them.
wwhite

Unread post by wwhite »

efloth wrote: 2022 Dec 08, 07:17 It would be cool to do a uv erase like this: https://youtu.be/_sSuzDg4ntA
That's how we did it in the early 90s.
I follow that youtuber, The software he uses looks like the programmer has configurable pins. That is what would be needed to program a stock Ford EEPROM. The programming/write pin that takes 12-15V is on the middle of the chip, pin 18 or something. Most EEPROMS its on the beginning or end of chip pins, like 0/1 or 23/24 or 27/28, something like that.

Anyways, UV erasing the EPROM should result in a read of all 0xFF's, chip bits all 1. When it is written it writes 0s.
It's all about testing and succeeding!
034v
Vehicle Information: 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC - Custom Turbocharged
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - Custom Turbocharged --- SOLD
2013 Ford F150 FX2 - 3.5L Ecoboost
2019 Explorer Sport - 3.5L Ecoboost

Unread post by 034v »

I believe the TI Performance setup would work as long as the offsets can be configured in TPRT.

Can anyone verify?
wwhite

Unread post by wwhite »

I believe the TI au stuff is strictly J3 chip. You can request tunes from them and they burn it. WIth the programmer you can write to their J3.
They use TPRT for editing bins, thats it, I beleive.
You would also need their J3 chip programmer.
They do not have a device like the QuarterHorse.
034v
Vehicle Information: 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC - Custom Turbocharged
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - Custom Turbocharged --- SOLD
2013 Ford F150 FX2 - 3.5L Ecoboost
2019 Explorer Sport - 3.5L Ecoboost

Unread post by 034v »

wwhite wrote: 2022 Dec 11, 00:19 I believe the TI au stuff is strictly J3 chip. You can request tunes from them and they burn it. WIth the programmer you can write to their J3.
They use TPRT for editing bins, thats it, I beleive.
You would also need their J3 chip programmer.
They do not have a device like the QuarterHorse.
Ok so at least there's the ability to tune the J3. Just making sure I'd have the ability to address offsets on the chip burning side so I don't have to change anything on all of my XDF's.
J-man
Vehicle Information: 1988/FORD/Bronco/Eddie Bauer (Project)
Currently has 1996 302/E4OD with 96 dash and 96 front clip swap using all 1996 wiring including ADA3/AGANF/ML1-441
Have a 393W that I want install (one of these years) may use TIN3/AGANF/MLC-496 or CYP3/MPAL6/MLC-496 to run the stroker and E4OD?

2003/FORD/Expedition/Eddie Bauer (Daily Driver)
Stock 5.4 2V/4R70W HAP3/RKAOA/HPC-313 (I have a core 4R75W to rebuild and swap in)

My son and I recently got a 1991 Foxbody Mustang GT put together for him with parts from several cars. It has the stock 302, 5-speed, and A9L. Very sad that Moates is gone. Hoping the old Moates crew are all healthy and well. (Still Sad/Upset though)

Unread post by J-man »

I find it so interesting how once something is not available everyone wants to have it. I see this big time with Moates products, I'm even left wanting some products as I write this. There's been a handful of times when I thought I should just buy some J3 stuff but didn't really have an immediate need, so I didn't make the purchase. I suppose I'm part of a niche group in this forum with others that have common interests. For me most of the time I'm happy just reading about the technical challenges of chasing the ones and zeros in between tuning ideas and the old Ford EECs. Maybe because it feels like it's US against the big Ford company, even though I'm like 20 years behind. It'll be interesting to see what happens next, sure seem like Moates could have sold the business along with the IP they've built up. Maybe they didn't realize they have a cult following. What if they just released it all to the public in various forums, would that hurt certain other small businesses?

Thoughts anyone?
J.W.S.