Cooke, Brian (68 Bronco)

Place for your vehicle notes and blow-by-blow build threads.
nvrstuk
Vehicle Information: '68 Ford Bronco
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
460sbf, 92 octane 6r80 trans, ProCase 3:1 transfer case, 40" tires, 5.13:1 frt/rear gear ratios, Air lockers, 5350#'s.
WOT only - 92uego

Re: Cooke, Brian (68 Bronco)

Unread post by nvrstuk »

Michael, I recorded another short tune yesterday after noticing it was surging and having some typical startup tune idling issues. Thought an extra datalog might help but when I got it hooked up the idle issues were mostly gone but I recorded it anyway.

Just wondering on this next item. :) I had a 4x4 rock crawling trip in southern Utah reserved/planned since October "21 with this Bronco, leaving on Feb 26. Am I unrealistic thinking that we can get this tuned and finished (mostly) by then? Typical day there is driving 2 miles to the trail, idling and below 1300rpm for 6 hours with throttle blips. Sand dune running for an hour a day at 5500rpm for about a minute at a time.

Totally unrealistic or not? Wondering because I need to cancel reservations so I don't lose money if you don't think we can make it. Costs me a ton in fuel to get there and back so just wanted to see if it would be possible or not.

Thanks a ton

Brian
Attachments
4th datalog 2-14-22.xdl
(281.69 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

We can get her dialed in before then no problem. She's already 90% of the way there. No need in cancelling the trip.

Your throttle stop is still too far closed not allowing her to idle properly. Go ahead and open the throttle stop by about 1/4 of a full turn to give her a touch more air to idle correctly.

Load this in and shoot me back a full step 1 datalog. Shoot me back a step 2 log as well.

http://www.efidynotuning.com/step1.htm
http://www.efidynotuning.com/step2.htm

Do only 1 wot pull since we have her in closed loop to verify fueling the wideband should stay right around 1.0 lambda.
Attachments
BCOO_220203b.bin
(56 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
460sbf, 92 octane 6r80 trans, ProCase 3:1 transfer case, 40" tires, 5.13:1 frt/rear gear ratios, Air lockers, 5350#'s.
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

Question,
I tried to Log for Fuel Errors. It says to apply a little throttle and "hold it at at next +25 lmaf ad counts increment"????

Example: at idle let's say imaf is at 225. So I add more throttle to get to 250 and hold it for 10 seconds, then bump the throttle up to hold it 275 & hold it for 10 seconds, then add more throttle to get it to 300 & hold for 10 seconds? I can't see how I could get up to appr 5800 rpm (shift point) by doing this up to 1/2 throttle.

If so, how do you hold it back?? My front end is lifting WAY up and torquing my Bronco and yes, literally smoking my brakes. I used my front line lock to help hold me back. Ebrake couldn't slow me down.

Tell me what I'm doing wrong. I only got up to 2500 rpm trying to do the imaf.

I never got to Stage 2 because I don't think I'm doing the imaf correctly. Guys gotta be burning brakes up, melting converters :) . Anyway, I can't hold this back the way I'm doing it and don't understand how someone could do this on a long driveway. Mine is 2,000 ft and there's no way I could not just be spinning my rear tires or creating huge heat in the 6r80.

Datalogs 5 & 6 attached
Attachments
6th datalog 2-15-22.xdl
(460.83 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
5th datalog 2-14-22.xdl
(639.61 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

You still need to open the throttle stop another 1/4 turn as the engine can't breathe to idle properly.

You only attached 2 logs.
You did very well in fact you did excellent. We got all the info we need in those logs and your fuel at part throttle is now dialed in.

If your smoking the brakes your giving it too much brake, just barely enough to help load it more.

Your iscdc jumps quite a bit from 36% in neutral to 67% in gear. If you want it to be perfect you'll have to wire up an nds.

Would be better if you label the logs with the tune revision to make it easier for me. This is tune rev. C im posting now.

Load this in and shoot me back a step 2 log. Don't forget to open the throttle stop a touch first. The key has to be off when you do.
http://www.efidynotuning.com/step2.htm
Attachments
BCOO_220203c.bin
(56 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

Thanks.

I labeled the tunes with your description but they must have had too many characters. I will make them shorter and match to the tune label you send me.

Seems like I only gain 200 rpm when I bump up 25 on the lmaf... how could I ever get to 5800 lol less brake and daylight. We have deer and cougar all over the dang roads here... :)

Do I hold it for 10 seconds on each stage still?

What is iscdc?? Do I need to let my rig sit outside and get cold like it does normally around here this time of year. 20 deg F can be a warm morning for weeks at a time. Do I need to do this as I go snow bashing in 4' deep, very heavy wet snow at 5500ft + (tremendous load- like 20 mph by GPS, speedo reads 45mph and 5,000 rpm for literally- minutes at a time struggling to keep going).

I will open the throttle blade a bit more (appr. 1/8th).

I have to be out of town all day tomorrow but if I get home before dark... :)
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

No, your part throttle fuel is dialed in no need in doing a step 1 just a step 2 log is all we need.

iscdc is the idle speed controller duty cycle thats another name for the idle air control valve. Its job is to add air to reach idle and to control the rpm on decel so it doesn't stall when you go closed throttle, thats known as dashpot. You need the iscdc low enough at stable warm idle so on cold starts it can add sufficient air flow to reach idle. If its maxed out at warm stable idle where the engine doesn't need much air then it won't be able to give it anymore air for cold starts where it needs a significant amount of air to reach idle.

No need in cold starting it yet, first the throttle stop needs to be set correctly and verified.

Yeah no problem whenever you can get to it no rush.
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

Getting this Step 2 done before we go to Seattle so you can get it before tomorrow
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

WOT is done.

1st time for WOT... unexplained but my trans went back into 1st gear after manually locking it into 2nd. Never has done this as I wheel on rocks in "manual 1st" all the time. So you will see a short log in 1st WOT in 1st gear, then a 2nd WOT in 2nd gear- AFR looked good except on take off and a split second before I shut it down.

I taped my cell phone and video'd the wide band meter so I could verify the AFR #'s on that 1st gear WOT before attempting the WOT pull in 2nd gear.

Can you program in a rev limiter for me at 5800rpm?
Attachments
tune rec.d after Step 3 WOT.xdl
(280.86 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
tune recv.c 2-16-22.xdl
(745.72 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

You still need to open the throttle stop another 1/4 of a turn.

Looking good. Load this in and shoot me back another.
Attachments
BCOO_220203d.bin
(56 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

Have one in the am for ya. :) Not doing one tonight... :( Almost backed into a damn deer getting my mail 10 min ago when we got home-literally less than 10' behind me.

Thanks.