Cooke, Brian (68 Bronco)

Place for your vehicle notes and blow-by-blow build threads.
nvrstuk
Vehicle Information: '68 Ford Bronco
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
460sbf, 92 octane 6r80 trans, ProCase 3:1 transfer case, 40" tires, 5.13:1 frt/rear gear ratios, Air lockers, 5350#'s.
WOT only - 92uego

Re: Cooke, Brian (68 Bronco)

Unread post by nvrstuk »

I can't run it as it is almost 550deg F on each primary tube within 3 minutes. I can not find any exhaust leaks or vacuum leaks.

Question- could this 460 run at all on the A9l ecu if something happened to the programmed Jchip? I disconnected all power before removing the chip when I tried it on another A9l as I had the CKT not working properly (didn't know it) and tried another working A9l. After figuring out the CKT, I put the original ecu back in with the chip.

thanks
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

sounds like the timing is off then

post that log

it'll run without the ecu as the ignition is independent it just won't get the correct signals to control timing
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
460sbf, 92 octane 6r80 trans, ProCase 3:1 transfer case, 40" tires, 5.13:1 frt/rear gear ratios, Air lockers, 5350#'s.
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

OK, I will try to get a datalog of it idling, and hitting the throttle a few times. I have only moved it out of the shop. Ran it for a full 4 minutes and it was 625-640 deg on both banks.

We are running Mahles min spec for piston/wall clearance and these excessive temps have us concerned about scoring.

Upon cold start up, I will start the engine, hop out and check the header primary tube and temp is 430+ (probably less than 20sec as the wide band isn't reading yet). Makes sense for timing possibly being the cause.

thanks
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

You mentioned that the timing is independent of the ecu and it's not. EDIS is dependent on the ECU to help with timing control. EDIS is not independent of the Ford '89-93 MassAir ECU.

I will try to get a data log of it after a couple minutes. I realize you probably want the water temp up but that will take 10 min and as you know at 4-5min my header temps with 3 different IR guns are appr. 625deg +.

Once again, thanks for helping getting me going.

Did you notice the large lsa differences between the 2 cams? I wasn't sure if you still had access to the old cam specs on my last vehicle log data sheet. It was 108 lsa.

Brian
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

You just contradicted yourself.

Yes its fully independent of the ecu. You can remove the ecu and use carb spray and it will fire up and run. The ecu only shoots out the timing it wants ita up to the EDIS module to do it.

No you dont have to let it warm up. You should always start logging before you start the engine.

Yep the seperation is a bit wider now. No biggie. The injectors and maf determine AFR. As long as those two are the same and unchanged the fueling should be the same.
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

Here comes two files. Both just sitting in the shop. Hit the pedal a few times. Took it up a bit. Water temp is appr. 135F. I don't see a way to attach files here. I will try a PM.

Just saw your reply. Never heard of that. Learned something new again today.

thanks
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

My "outbox" still shows 2 msgs that haven't gone out. Did you receive my datalogs? I just realized that this is the 4th of July weekend.

I hope you got them!

Can I attach files on this page?

thanks
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

I was re-reading some of the old conversations we had when tuning this last year-I was learning a lot. Just saying it runs SOOOooo much better now than it did before you "got involved" with the tuning! No comparison. Want to say thanks for that.

I do struggle with navigating your site. I am extremely concrete sequential and might have mentioned last year that my wife's company had software engineers who had to pass all instructions for their products through me so every step of instructions would be included. I don't skip steps well. lol I reread where you said I was the only one who had noticed some steps on your site that were difficult to follow. Said I was the only guy who'd noticed-- yeah, that'd be me alright!

I am so anxious to get this running. It's been down since last Sept waiting on Ford. Literally my daily driver till it got pulled apart. I bought it June 26th, 1976.
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

OK, I"m in "notifications" and I will attach the 2 files I had hoped were sent yesterday or earlier today. I see from looking at these notifications that this is where we communicated for all the previous tunes.

Hope I'm doing it right.

thanks

2 files attached
Attachments
june 29, 2023 #2.xdl
(16.65 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
June 29, 2023 #1.xdl
(116.85 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
nvrstuk
A9l, Moates Qtrhorse
WOT only - 92uego

Unread post by nvrstuk »

Evening Michael,

Just checking in to know if you have received my data logs and either the PM's or notifications ? Want to know if I am trying to contact you the correct way or not?

I started it tonight, sprayed ether around the ports on the SuperVic with the afr reading of 14.3-15.0 at idle and well shy of 3 1/2minutes both sides were over 630F and when I went back to the PS primary tubes the first two I checked were over 760deg F. I was so concerned I hustled back and shut it off w/o checking the DS. I'm sure they were close to the same.

Thx