Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Place for your vehicle notes and blow-by-blow build threads.
RinerAuto
Vehicle Information: 1994 Mustang
302W w/RZASA and CNP
YouTube: RinerAutomotive
Instagram: RinerAutomotive

Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Unread post by RinerAuto »

Hey everyone. Figured I'd share the EEC-IV to EEC-V conversion that I am starting on my SN95 Mustang. While this will also end up on my YouTube channel, some things are better shared in text form.

Why am I converting the Mustang from EEC-IV to EEC-V?

I have several reasons for the swap. One being that the EEC-V supports ODBII, which I then can record data for better analysis of my autocross/track runs. Second, switch the ignition system to distributorless. This is to bring the old 302W into the modern era of ecu control. Plus getting rid of the distributor will clean up the engine bay in my opinion. Lastly, its not a very common swap that I think is more affordable and just as good as the aftermarket options out there.

What parts am I using?
  • 2002 F-150 5.4 harness
  • 2003 Crown Vic ECU
  • Explorer 5.0 Timing Cover
  • Explorer 5.0 harmonic dampener with trigger wheel
  • Explorer 5.0 cam and crank position sensor
Things left that I need to figure out
  • Figure out what connectors need to splice from mustang engine harness
  • Figure out how to merge F-150 harness into Mustang body harness
  • Figure out what sensors to use from Mustang and which to use from donor vehicles (ie F-150, Crown Vic, etc)
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

Re: Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Before doing any cutting or splicing, I need to map out each harness. I'm doing this by creating a spreadsheet with each connector on the harness and using a multimeter finding continuity from pin to pin. It's very tedious, but I want to know what every wire does. That way I have a good plan going forward and remove connectors I don't need.

Shown below is the passenger fender harness from the SN95 mustang. My plan is basically rebuild this harness with the EECV connector. Most of the mustang specific connections will remain.
PXL_20211220_183623233.jpg
Once I know where all the wires go I start cutting the harness apart. Right now I'm not trying to cut any wires but remove them from their connectors. But it becomes quite a mess and can be overwhelming.
PXL_20211207_224138918.jpg
But take it one wire at a time and I eventually got the EECV connector separated from the F150 engine bay harness.
PXL_20211222_210406942.jpg
Right now I'm researching connector terminals. It would be nice to do minimal splices and actually repin the harness. But the EECV terminals are proving difficult to find. I think I have found the terminals for the explorer cam/crank sensor. Also the terminals for the coils. I have ordered the all in one solder and shrink splices to make things easy.

Once my connector spreadsheet is complete I'll also share that.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

I recently recalled that the V6 engine in the SN95 was EEC-V from the start. My car started out as a V6 option, so I found that harness (luckily never throw anything away). I'm going to use the V6 fender harness as my base. I think it will be easier since it already has the EEC-V connector on it and the correct mustang specific fender connections (fan, CCR, power connectors, etc).

There will be some wires that have to move in the connector and some wires will still need to be spliced. But this will be the easiest, cleanest solution.

I have ordered terminals from Ballenger Motorsports for several of the sensor connectors from the engine harness. I'll add part numbers later once confirmed to be correct. Then I also ordered terminals from clip and fasteners to see if they are for the EEC-V or something different.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

I started getting the fender harness built, but one thing I didn't think about...wire length. Since I'm trying to do very minimal wire cutting and splicing, I removed the engine disconnect connectors between it and the EECV from the F150 harness to plug directly into the V6 harness. However the length of wire is 10 inches shorter than the Mustang harness. So change of plans, I'm going to try a Mustang 4.6L engine and fender harness instead. Just waiting for one to show up in the junkyard.

So I turned my attention to hardware changes on the engine. I installed the Explorer timing cover and cam sync sensor. Then test fit the Explorer harmonic balancer. As expected from online research the pulley is too close to the block and out of alignment with the SN95 accessories.
PXL_20220116_194522097.jpg
Since the pulley is part of the harmonic balancer it can't be easily spaced out.
PXL_20220117_181723325.jpg
Trying to figure out the best course forward for getting a trigger wheel installed onto the car. Then also how/where to install the coil packs.
dleach1407
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, CBAZA Quarterhorse
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Unread post by dleach1407 »

You can try calling these guys. They make custom 28oz balancers for explorers, maybe they can put the reluctor wheel on a 95 balancer. I'm interested in this too since i have a 94/95 vortech kit that i works be interested in using in my truck.

https://www.damperdudes.net/
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

dleach1407 wrote: 2022 Jan 17, 20:28 You can try calling these guys. They make custom 28oz balancers for explorers, maybe they can put the reluctor wheel on a 95 balancer. I'm interested in this too since i have a 94/95 vortech kit that i works be interested in using in my truck.

https://www.damperdudes.net/
Interesting. That's a possible option.

Last night I bought a trigger wheel from 64bit Tuning Concepts (https://64bittuning.fwscart.com/Ford_Sm ... 26462.aspx). It seems this one is intended to be installed between the balancer and pulley. I prefer to have it on the backside of the balancer. I think I can bolt it to the backside of the Mustang balancer as the pulley holes go all the way through. Then either leave it bolted or weld it to the harmonic balancer. The ID of the trigger wheel is 2.38", but the Mustang balance is just shy of that. So I can't turn it down to make a press fit, but it might be close enough for welding.

But I'll see once it's delivered.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

Also, last night I ordered M-12029-SD73, which is the Ford Performance 7.3L gas ignition coil and wire set. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the plug wires, but it was cheaper than buying the coils individually.

So according to information dleach1407 and I have found, we think these coils will work with the EECV PCM. They have the right dwell setting and have just two wires going to them, which means they are not smart coils with ignitors onboard. Ballenger Motorsports has what we think is the correct connector for them, https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produ ... l5u918efd5.

Things are starting to come together. just need to find the 99-04 Mustang 4.6L Harness that I want to use as a base.
dleach1407
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Have your coils shipped yet? I still haven't gotten a shipping notification.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

dleach1407 wrote: 2022 Jan 20, 01:39 Have your coils shipped yet? I still haven't gotten a shipping notification.
Not yet. I think we might have purchased from the same supplier, Levittown.
dleach1407
wbo2_030MtxL

Im thinking its going to be a while before we get these in hand. I still havent gotten a shipping notification. Its been 3 weeks already