Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Place for your vehicle notes and blow-by-blow build threads.
RinerAuto
Vehicle Information: 1994 Mustang
302W w/RZASA and CNP
YouTube: RinerAutomotive
Instagram: RinerAutomotive

Re: Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Unread post by RinerAuto »

ATPCR wrote: 2023 Feb 20, 20:33 Nice project and I'm glad to see that my idea is obtainable after all. I'm following along.
Greg in north Alabama
Thanks. I'm hoping it's obtainable too. I haven't got it installed yet. I'll probably pay to have Decipha tune mine as I just don't have the time to learn and dial it in. My first race event is about a month away.

Also post up the smart coil bolt dimension when you get it. I'd be curious if my bracket can be used for both.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

I've been meaning to measure them. I will ASAP. I have a trip to Nashville today so it may be late in the day before I can lay hands on. Thanks, Greg
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

Stephen, The Holley Smart Coil brackets measure 2.9 across. It looks like 1/4"-20 bolt holes. It looks like I need to sell the brackets that I have and purchase a pair from you if that is possible. It looks like you are using the valve cover holes to secure them with long bolts and aluminum tubes? Greg
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

What did you do to work around the oil fill cap in the valve cover with the coil/s bracket above it?
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

ATPCR wrote: 2023 Feb 25, 22:02 What did you do to work around the oil fill cap in the valve cover with the coil/s bracket above it?
When I designed the brackets, I was only envisioning for my use. So they were designed and only installed on Trick Flow valve covers. I used these because they clear roller rockers and the oil fill can be installed where ever it fits. For install I used 1/4-20 studs in the head, 3" stand offs with 1/4-20 threads and the brackets bolt to the stand offs. The stand offs I bought were 5/8 hex, which I should have gone with the 1/2 hex. The 5/8 hex contacted the valve cover and needed to be machined down.

As you noticed I have not yet installed the oil fill. It's not going to fit in the stock location (front passenger) with how it's currently designed. The only place I have the space is passenger side rear.

Lastly, I have a 1" intake spacer, which is crucial for allowing the space for the coils. It would be nice to have an LS style intake that doesn't go over the valve covers. With a 1" intake spacer a stock hood hits.

It's a domino effect....Really the bracket needs to be redesigned to work with all valve covers and efi intake manifold (if it's even possible).
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Do you have a 2D DXF software recommendation? I found some .500" OD tube with a .26" ID hole that will work for the stand offs. I have Fox Body valve covers that look like the same height as the '97 Explorer/Mountaineer covers. I think that I can add a ~1.25 aluminum bung on the right front corner to relocate the oil fill tube to. I've already picked up a 1 " intake spacer. Thanks for your input!
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

@ATPCR I'm really liking AutoCAD Fusion 360. If you want just 2D then you can just do sketches and export DXF files. But it's a free 3D modeling software that is very powerful.

No problem, look forward to seeing your setup.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

@ATPCR I forgot to mention look at https://sendcutsend.com/ if you haven't already. That's where I've been getting items cut after drawing up in Fusion 360.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

If I was looking at the correct website for Fusion 360, It appeared to be expensive and required that alot of hoops be jumped through. I may have been on the wrong site. I've looked at send-cut-send too. Great internet based service. I found a 2d, smartdraw.com? and played around with it for just a few minutes. I may just have to break out my antique drafting tools and make a drawing to take to a guy ~ 2 miles from me that has a CNC machine and other "far out" fab tools. He could scan my scale drawing and cut me something out of 1/4" aluminum plate.
I need more funding. My quest to begin learning how to tune, well not even tune, but to be able to electronically enter the insides of the 1998 t0 2004 and do something as simple as turn off PATS, is depleting my "hobby car funds". It all cost money. But it is only money, LOL.
Thanks for the information!
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

Commercial use cost money, but Personal use is free: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

Yep it's just money, can make more...lol. But I know the feeling. Not only am I doing this engine work, I'm also building my own front suspension at the moment.