Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Place for your vehicle notes and blow-by-blow build threads.
wwhite
Vehicle Information: 1994 Flarside, XLT, 351w E4OD
SD48b, Quarter Horse, Burn2

Re: Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Unread post by wwhite »

Why can't the balancer itself have 35 notches cut into it?
I don't see this as a 'weight/balance' issue, since all wheels are being added weight to the balancer, and I doubt any of them are 'balanced'.

I've been thinking about taking my old balancer(stock), 351w and have this done at a local machine shop if possible.
RinerAuto
Vehicle Information: 1994 Mustang
302W w/RZASA and CNP
YouTube: RinerAutomotive
Instagram: RinerAutomotive

Unread post by RinerAuto »

wwhite wrote: 2023 Jan 26, 00:11 Why can't the balancer itself have 35 notches cut into it?
I don't see this as a 'weight/balance' issue, since all wheels are being added weight to the balancer, and I doubt any of them are 'balanced'.

I've been thinking about taking my old balancer(stock), 351w and have this done at a local machine shop if possible.
Honestly I never looked into cutting "triggers"' into the balancer itself. The crankshaft sensor would have to be spaced out, which is easy. But something that would have to be done.

Yea I bet most are not balanced. I know I haven't balanced mine and am trying to figure out if it's needed when it's mounted inside the dampener close to the engine.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

As been mentioned, I plan to use the 7.3L Godzilla coils for my coil near plug setup. There are options out there to mount coils on a SBF but they are quite expensive. While I like the idea of welding bolt pads onto of the valve covers I didn't want to mess up the brand new trick flow coils and I haven't welded aluminum before. So that leaves a bolt on option. My plan is to design a plate and then use standoffs to mount it above the valve cover. After a little bit of cardboard aided design and transferring it to Fusion 360, I got this:
Coil_Mounting_Fusion360.png
I have really come to like designing in Fusion 360 and then uploading to SendCutSend to get plates cut. Along with parts from McMaster-Carr I get this awesome looking setup.
PXL_20230208_224416189.PORTRAIT.jpg
I think this really turned out great. Now this does require an intake manifold spacer, which I already had installed.

Like videos, check out my YouTube channel
https://youtu.be/PZB1vUMsLGw
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

On my old setup I tossed that elbow on the tb and mount the tb directly to the plenum since I had the clearance. Was a bit extra work but came out nice.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

decipha wrote: 2023 Feb 11, 15:56 On my old setup I tossed that elbow on the tb and mount the tb directly to the plenum since I had the clearance. Was a bit extra work but came out nice.
Yea, do a Fox setup. The elbow does make things a little tighter but I think it will work out.
wwhite
Vehicle Information: 1994 Flarside, XLT, 351w E4OD
SD48b, Quarter Horse, Burn2

Unread post by wwhite »

Good job on the coil mounting brackets.
I'm doing the same, but I do not like the mounting of coils directly on top of valve covers.
My plan is to mount to the outside of valve cover, more directly overtop of spark plug, but also more directly over top of headers.

Is this a heat problem, mounting over top of headers/spark plugs, beside valve cover?
Is this why almost all COPs are mounted on top of valve cover?
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

Riner, I have searched for many hours to find someone remotely working on what I'm trying to do. Without getting into detail and stepping on your thread, I will say that my base engine/trans is a 1997 Merc Mountaineer (Explorer) 5.0 with 4R70W. I'm not having a damper alignment problem because I'm using all Explorer brackets, pulleys, water pump, timing cover etc. In the spirit of 'using what you have', I have a 1999 Crown Vic that I'm pulling the powertrain harness and PCM from. Actually, the dozens of hours that I have spent in the last few weeks have to do with PCM tuning for these Fords. There is quite a bit of GM information, LS, LS, LS, but not much for Ford. I'm still stuck on what pass thru device to connect my laptop to the PCM for tuning. Maybe a J2535? I ordered Chevy coil brackets to go on top of the valve covers and ~ 9 months ago determined that I'm going to have to flip them to go with the Ford plug angle. I'm following your thread and progress. Below a picture of my valve cover/coil bracket.
Will the 7.3 coils fit these brackets?
97-5.0holleycoilbracket.JPG
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

wwhite wrote: 2023 Feb 12, 23:23 Good job on the coil mounting brackets.
I'm doing the same, but I do not like the mounting of coils directly on top of valve covers.
My plan is to mount to the outside of valve cover, more directly overtop of spark plug, but also more directly over top of headers.

Is this a heat problem, mounting over top of headers/spark plugs, beside valve cover?
Is this why almost all COPs are mounted on top of valve cover?
I'm not sure but there could be a heat problem. You may also need custom or shorter spark plug wires. I think most are on top of valve cover due to convenience of being close to engine harness and flat mounting surface. Personally I like the look of coils on top of valve covers, which is why I went that route.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

ATPCR wrote: 2023 Feb 19, 08:25 Riner, I have searched for many hours to find someone remotely working on what I'm trying to do. Without getting into detail and stepping on your thread, I will say that my base engine/trans is a 1997 Merc Mountaineer (Explorer) 5.0 with 4R70W. I'm not having a damper alignment problem because I'm using all Explorer brackets, pulleys, water pump, timing cover etc. In the spirit of 'using what you have', I have a 1999 Crown Vic that I'm pulling the powertrain harness and PCM from. Actually, the dozens of hours that I have spent in the last few weeks have to do with PCM tuning for these Fords. There is quite a bit of GM information, LS, LS, LS, but not much for Ford. I'm still stuck on what pass thru device to connect my laptop to the PCM for tuning. Maybe a J2535? I ordered Chevy coil brackets to go on top of the valve covers and ~ 9 months ago determined that I'm going to have to flip them to go with the Ford plug angle. I'm following your thread and progress. Below a picture of my valve cover/coil bracket.
Will the 7.3 coils fit these brackets?
97-5.0holleycoilbracket.JPG
ATPCR,
I'll try to answer as best as I can. For connecting your laptop to the PCM check out the Getting Started page on the HomePage:http://www.efidynotuning.com/started.htm. I have a Moates Quarterhorse which goes onto the J3 port in the PCM and connects to the computer with USB. But it looks like there are some other options for OBDII.

For the bracket, the 7.3L coil mounting holes are 2.315 inch apart. The holes in the coils are slightly oversized allowing some play when using 1/4-20 bolts. I don't know the dimensions of LS coils.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

Riner, Thanks for your reply. I've been reading Michael P.'s website and pick up a little bit more each time. I called the J box the wrong name, it's a J2534, not J2535. I want to try to go that route since the Moates Company has shut down as of this past November and I would imagine that any of the Quarter Horse products would no longer be made.
In a few weeks, I will start a thread of my project and I will include questions for "Decipha"
The brackets that I have come from ICT Billet and they are made for the Holley smart coils. I don't know the dimensions as it has to do with the spacing for the Holley coils. I will measure them at work tomorrow. I may need different brackets for the 7.3 coils.
Nice project and I'm glad to see that my idea is obtainable after all. I'm following along.
Greg in north Alabama