K-Constant and Scaling Percentage Scalars

Non-vehicle specific forum for tuning all ford ecu's 1994-2004, including the 1994-1995 Mustang, 93-98 Mark VIII, 99+ F-150, 99-04 Mustang, 03-04 Cobra, 99-04 Lightning and Harley Davidson F-150

CBAZA, CDAN4, CRAJ0, CVAF1, FBGI0, OMAE2, RZASA

K-Constant and Scaling Percentage Scalars

Unread postby decipha » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:41 pm

so in a continuing effort to make tuning easier for everyone especially when larger injectors and higher flowing maf's are used that require scaling; I have devised a method of having tunerpro display un-scaled values to make it pretty much idiot proof. The caveat is that it would require a little knowledge for the end user to do correctly if re-using a pre-existing tune that's scaled. Although I have it all documented out in the comments yet I have found over the years that many people still struggle so I have concluded the only option is to release all newly updated def's (which would be required) with all newly updated base tunes as well to go along with them. This will take out any variables and make life much easier for everyone. Pretty much as things are now but with a little more consistency in the mix.

So with that said expect all new def's to be rolled out and all new base tunes as well by the end of this year.

Now for the nitty gritty this is how it all works. Scaling maf's and injectors can be pretty tedious on highly scaled tunes and requires some attention to detail and also knowing the scaling percentage or jotting it down somewhere. I figure what better place than in the tune? So I am from this moment forward assigning 0xFFFE for single banks and 8x1FFE of bank 8 (0x21FFE) in null filler for multi-bank tunes as the scaling percentage scalar. This scalar in actuality holds the actual un-scaled injector high slope value. But the scaling percentage is also using this same address/scalar since its just another representation of the same value. i.e. (AHISL/K-Constant[30])

The scaling percentage scalar is a word populated automatically by tunerpro with the following equation:
X / 256 / (Y/582.5422)

where Y==ahisl.

Here is the comments for that scalar.

Title: DO NOT CHANGE - Scaling Percentage
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
DO NOT CHANGE this scalars value.

This is the AUTOMATICALLY calculated scaling percentage used for low slope, breakpoint, sarchg and maf scaling.

The scaling percentage is the actual high slope / the tunes current K-constant (previously known as high slope).

2020-Feb-23
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I specifically titled it DO NOT CHANGE as well as written it in the comments to make it obvious. There is an exception I'll detail below.

So continuing on we are now at the new scalar in which I've titled:
SP** (WARNING) AHISL - Injector High Slope **SEE COMMENTS**
Changing this value will cause the injector low slope, breakpoint, sarchg, and maf to need to be updated.

If you have a functioning tune and want to update it so un-scaled values are shown then change the SP** AHISL scalar to your actual injector high slope value for your injectors (unscaled value).

Now since everything will be showing correctly you need to normalize the k-constant for the rwhp and rwtq calculations in the datalog to be accurate. To do so, open up the following 5 parameters in your tune.

k-constant, low slope, breakpoint, sarchg and maf t-fer.

Copy these values over to notepad or somewhere so that you can and paste back in later.

Now first change the K-Constant to 30.000.
Then paste the maf transfer back in your tune.
Then paste your injector low slope back in.
Then paste your injector breakpoint back in.
Then paste your sarchg back in.

This scalar will calculate the scaling percentage for the actual high slope / k-constant.

2020-Feb-23

And you've guessed it this address is the 0xfffe / 8x1ffe address with an equation of X/256 giving a maximum actual unscaled high slope value of 256 lbs/hr. Very unlikely anyone will be running injectors with a HIGH SLOPE larger than that.

And the rest is pretty straight-forward. TunerPro then shows the injector low slope automatically multiplied by the scaling percentage scalar as well as the maf, sarchg, and breakpoint to show your actual unscaled data.

Thus, for now on in all tunes it is required to set the:
Global Fuel K-Constant to a value of 30.00 lbs/hr regardless. That's what the new base tunes I will be posting is all about. Basically stock tunes with the K-Constant already set to 30 which the tuner (you) will not even be aware of.

Then all you do is put in the actual high slope value in the new SP** AHISL scalar and then populate the remaining 4 parameters with their actual data. It literally takes no knowledge of scaling on the end users part.

So why all of this? To make life easier and to maximize resolution. As an aside you can now do a direct comparison with any other tune and the scaling percentage is no longer a variable you have to keep track of.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Decipha Ponto
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer
06 Chrysler 300 AWD - Sharifa

Re: Standardizing Scaling Percentage - Integral to Tune

Unread postby decipha » Wed May 13, 2020 12:58 am

I added the k-constant value to the injector data page and noted it in the fuel write up.

I'm sure there will be some questions so I have retitled the thread to be more descriptive.

I have also updated the standardized datalogging adx which now polls the scaling percentage scalar to calculate newly added rwhp, rwtq and unscaled airmass payloads.
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: K-Constant and Scaling Percentage Scalars

Unread postby canuck1 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:03 pm

I keep doing something in the wrong order?:

1.) set SP**AHISL to actual (unscaled) injector high slope
2.) Global K-constant set to 30.00
3.) paste in MAF transfer FN036 volts-kg/hr values
4.) enter actual (unscaled) injector low slope
5.) enter injector breakpoint
6.) enter actual c.i. engine displacement in SARCHG

I press commit changes each time I enter the values but when I open the bin file up again later, they have changed by a seemingly random 3% +/-.

I've read these instructions a few times but I'm obviously doing something wrong. Can anyone explain what I need to do to keep my bin file from changing when I re-open it?

I'd wager I'm simply not understanding how it's supposed to work!?

Sean
canuck1
Power Poster

Name: Sean Gibbs
Vehicle Information: Factory 5 roadster
351w based 396 c.i. stroker. Mass-Flo-EFI style intake w Siemens Deka V 80lb/hr injectors, AFR 195CC Renegade heads, Comp XE274HR, 10.4:1 CR, custom long tube headers and sidepipes. 5spd manual trans, 3.73:1 rear.
A9L ECM E9ZF-12A650-A2A with Moates F3 chip, Burn2, Quarterhorse, A9L2 calibration

Unread postby decipha » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:59 pm

decipha wrote:Now first change the K-Constant to 30.000.
Then paste the maf transfer back in your tune.
Then paste your injector low slope back in.
Then paste your injector breakpoint back in.
Then paste your sarchg back in.

K constant has to be changed first
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby canuck1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Can I use my old MAF curve? It ran up to 16v. I can see your 'stock' A9L2 values only go to 5.12v. Do I need to adjust mine to fit into the 5.12v range and how do I do that?

Sean
canuck1
Power Poster

351w based 396 c.i. stroker. Mass-Flo-EFI style intake w Siemens Deka V 80lb/hr injectors, AFR 195CC Renegade heads, Comp XE274HR, 10.4:1 CR, custom long tube headers and sidepipes. 5spd manual trans, 3.73:1 rear.
A9L ECM E9ZF-12A650-A2A with Moates F3 chip, Burn2, Quarterhorse, A9L2 calibration

Unread postby decipha » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:29 pm

I rewrote the code so the maf doesnt have to go to 16v at the top now.

Just simply change the top value from 16 to 5.12
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby canuck1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Got it, thanks.

Are there any changes in the way I calculate and input values for things like FN348 Crank PW - ECT modifier? I still just use (stock inj=19.641)/(new inj=89.309) x (new c.i.=395)/(stock c.i.=302) to multiply against the existing 'stock' FN348 y axis? My new inj values above are after adding fuel pressure multiplier to the provided high slope specification.

Sean
canuck1
Power Poster

Unread postby decipha » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:59 pm

u got it
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda