New to EEC-IV tuning

non vehicle specific forum for tuning all other EEC-IV

New to EEC-IV tuning

Unread postby junkiestunts1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am

I have a 92 F-150 with 331 stroker, 30lb injectors, howards cam, 195cc intake port heads, long tube headers. orginal ECU speed density still installed
I am wondering if I need besides the $250 quarterhorse kit from Moates to get going (do i need F3v2 and jaybird?)
I also noticed that when I startup tuner pro rt with the stock ecu file for the 89-94 F-150 that it freaks out with some strange values. example instead of a normal value of 0,1 or 2 for some "features" like transmission control, it had a value of over 200.
I am starting with the following base files.
ICY1.BIN
EFI-SD4X_180409.xdf
more questions to follow i guess.
junkiestunts1
User

Name: John B
Vehicle Information: 1992 Ford F-150, EEC-IV Was 302. DSS Forged 331 stroker assembly, aftermarket aluminum heads 2.02 and 1.6 valves. Howards Cam 219/219 duration @.050 and .578 lift with 1.7 rocker arms. 30 lb injectors. Canton Girdle, windage tray and 7 quart oil pan.
5 Speed M5R2. QuarterHorse

Re: New to EEC-IV tuning

Unread postby ironmanisanemic » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:50 pm

you have to match the calibration to the strategy your ECU is using. What you are seeing with the weird values is a strategy missmach. You can use that strategy XDF, just use the matching base tune that is on the download page and upload that to the quarterhorse.

But you only need the quarterhorse for now. Once you get your vehicle dialed in for good, best practice is to burn a F3 chip and install that in place of the quarterhorse. But realistically even though its not recommended by moates, the quarterhorse can be left in place for the long term. Only thing that may happen is if the on board battery dies on the quarterhorse, you will loose your tune, with a f3 chip that wont happen.
ironmanisanemic
A+ Contributor

Name: Miles
Vehicle Information: 89 Ford Bronco - 393W, Professional Products 190cc heads, Custom Comp Cams hyd roller cam, Edelbrock EFI Mustang intake, 10:1 compression, FRPP LU34 34LB injectors, ProM 80mm Mass Air Meter, 2-1/2" into 3" y pipe, no cat, and hooker aerochamber muffler. U4P0 computer with Quarterhorse and BE, EA. 4R70W

Unread postby gt8790 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Another newbie here, with probably a lot of the same questions that other neophytes have. I'm setting up my stuff by following instructions on the "Getting Started" page: http://www.efidynotuning.com/started.htm

I just installed the QH into my stock A9L computer, installed TunerPro5 RT with the required USB/serial driver onto my lap top, and it sees the QH.

I downloaded the A9L.bin and GUFB_56k.xdf and GUFB_56k.adx files from Moates' web site, and loaded them into TP5 RT.

I was trying to figure out how to read the stock tune from the computer, just to get a reference copy. But the starting page says that's not necessary. Does this mean that the stock tune should be identical to the A9L.bin file? What if I wanted to read a tune off of a computer anyway, what would I need to do that?

Next thing I looked at was enabling RT data logging. The instruction says to enter "Univ" in the finder dialog box. But this does not appear to be in the standard bin file. So which bin file should I get for that feature?

The long term plan is to rebuild the stock 33 year old engine with bigger stroke, heads, cam, and intake (plus MAF, TB, and injectors to match) and tune the EEC to handle all of that so I can get as much streetable power as possible and still pass California smog checks. I'm sure it's been done hundreds of times by folks in these forums, but it's all new to me.

thanks in advance.
gt8790
User

Name: gcc
Vehicle Information: 1987 Mustang GT/1990 MAF/A9L

Stock 5.0L, 1.7RR, 1.5" headers

Unread postby decipha » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:11 am

correct the a9l bin is the same as your ecu has. Vehicle identification didnt come about until obd2 with eec-v. So reading the atock tune will not have any other specific info like vin number or pats code that eec-v would have. Thus theres no need to read the stock cal.

nothing here applies to using the original gufb strategy

I have a gufx strategt which is my own code for the fox ecus. You can download it as well as the a9l2 bin from the downloads section here on this site.

Anything you find on the internet anywhere else other than here will be outdated. Always best to use the most recent files.

the getting started write up has specifics on how to read the stock tune its all in there. Not that you need though.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Decipha Ponto
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer
06 Chrysler 300 AWD - Sharifa

Unread postby Bullet Bob » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:59 pm

GT8790, you went down the same rabbit hole I did so I understand your confusion. On the download chart under "Strategy ", scroll down and download the GUFX xdf. Then move right and hit "Stock" which will download a bunch of stock bins including an A9L. Then move further right and download the A9L2 [2019/05/16]. That will provide you with the A9L2 base calibration and also the Universal adx.
Use the GUFX xdf and Universal adx with either the stock A9L or the A9L2 and you will be good to go for learning to "tune" and datalogging. At least I think so...it seems to be working for me.
I loaded a stock A9L into the Moates to get a feel for what's what. Ran the car, watched the "Dashboard" and, now that Michael set me straight on the "Universal" adx, will play with datalogging. Then it's on to loading the A9L2 which I'm setting up with the parameters for new injectors and a Cobra MAF.
Download and read everything Decipha has written...at least twice.

Good luck
Bullet Bob
General Poster

Name: Robert Evans
Vehicle Information: '66 Mustang HT, 5.0, stock A9P

Unread postby gt8790 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:22 am

Thanks Guys, I found the files, and hope to try them out soon. The laptop that I had set up for doing this had a failure, and I'm trying to get it back into working order. If I can't, I'll have to get another one to do this.
gt8790
User

Name: gcc
Vehicle Information: 1987 Mustang GT/1990 MAF/A9L

Stock 5.0L, 1.7RR, 1.5" headers

Return to EEC-IV Tuning