Getting a new trans

Forum for discussing engines in general, anything engine and not tuning-specific belongs here, such as power adder discussions (turbos, blowers, nitrous, meth / water injection, exhaust setups, etc...)

Re: Getting a new trans

Unread postby RIKIL » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Would you happen to know the part number for the neutral safety switch (mlps) at something like pep boys or autozone? I would like to buy this in town instead of having it shipped to me but I can't cross reference any of the part numbers I find.
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Vehicle Information: Red, 1992 F150, 351W, E4OD, Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with CBAZA / QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires

Unread postby decipha » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:52 pm

not off hand just throw out an application and have them pull it up
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby RIKIL » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks, I was going to try that.. And the more I think about it, if they don't have it, I'll order it and it'll be here before I can drive the truck. Since this is a new transmission, and my first, conversion, it'll take me more than just a few hours to get up and going. I guess it's not a big deal
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Vehicle Information: Red, 1992 F150, 351W, E4OD, Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with CBAZA / QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires

Unread postby decipha » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:40 pm

there two types of mlps, the early ones which have a 0-5v analog output for all gears

and the "digital" 1998+ mlps which has multiple switches in it

the mlps on all fords is the same for the early ones and the later ones
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby RIKIL » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Ok, the ones I am watching on ebay specifically state for 92-97. The trans is coming with the connection for the senoid pack for the same years so I thought I'd keep it the samw5
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby RIKIL » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 pm

HHHHHHHHHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo my fucking shit my trans is here and............................(wait for it).............I can't use it

I bought an adapter from advanced adapters so I could connect this trans to my transfer case. I called them and asked for what I needed. They sold me a part for a 1350 transfer case (these are for a Ranger). I have a 1356 case. Oh my! So I called them and they are researching...trying to find out who I talked to. If they don't find out by tomorrow I can tell them who and when and even send them the recording of my call.
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby RIKIL » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:14 pm

OMG, if this isn't the motherfucking saga...

When I started this project I called two places that I found on line that would build and ship me a 4r70w. The first place I called, don't remember the name, said that yes I can get a 4r but to mate it to a borg warner 1356 transfer case I need an adapter kit from advance adapters in Downy, CA. The second place I called, and this is the place I ordered the transmission from, also advised me I need an adapter from advance adapters to make this work. I called advance adapters in CA and talked to a person who seemed to understand my problem. The problem is that their website advertises an adapter kit for a borg warner 1350 transfer case. These are for a ford ranger. In my 92 F150 came a borg warner 1356 transfer case. I called them to see if the 1350 would work with my 1356. The guy I talked to put me on hold to talk to a technician and came back to tell the me part for the 1350 would work for my 1356.

I ordered the suggested parts. I received the transmission and the back of the trans didn't fit to the transfer case.

So I called the place that sent me the trans and asked them if a 4r70w build with a stock 4x4 adapter on the back would mate to a 1356, like I have. They said no, I need the advance adapter 1350 kit to make that work. After a few min of discussion and me asking targeted questions, the same person that I was talking to said 'this trans came in a 95-96 bronco and that was the AOD trans, so that shoudl fit your borg warner 1356, it seems it has a 31 spline output shaft whic his compatible.' Seems the two prominent trans builders didn't know this. I called two places that build a lot of 4r70ws and both said I could not mate a 4r to a BW1356 without an adapter and that pointed me to advance adapters where they also gave me the wrong info telling me that their 1350 kit would work with a 1356.

Right now I am waiting for a call from advance adapters, they have someone looking into this. They told me they record their phone calls, and so do I on my smartphone. I deleted all my archived calls a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find the recording of when I called advance adapters to ask their advice. After looking more in my app, I found the recorded call in my recycle bin and restored it. That call verified that I asked about the 1356 and not 1350.

At the very least I will need to ship the trans from CO back to FL where they will build me a 4r with the 4x option tha thas the 31 spline output shaft and will mate to a 1356.

"the saga continues...Wutang...Wutang..."
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby RIKIL » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Something is really not right about this flexplate - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma- ... /make/ford

I can't even get it to bolt to the back of my crank using all bolts. Could not get all the holes to line up. Says it is for a 351w. I mounted it using 3 of the 6 bolts, just wanted to start the motor. As soon as I did I noticed the engine vibrating a lot. Even thought there were only 3 bolts, I couldn't shake the flexplate so it seemed to be on OK. Started the motor again and the same thing. So I put back on the old flexplate and it ran fine, warmed it up to 190F.
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby RIKIL » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:54 pm

forget the comment I said about the flexplate, it is the right one, I just didn't have it on right.
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby decipha » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:32 pm

yea one bolt is off centered so it bolts on one way to locate the balance weight correctly
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby RIKIL » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:35 pm

So far things are coming along pretty good. I have two questions:

1. For the TCC solenoid that I switched out...would I be able to leave the 10ohm solenoid in the trans and put a resistor on the wire coming out of the trans for the TCC? I realize this really isn't the best since I already have the 1 ohm solenoid but the trans has a 2 year warranty and if something is going to fail, I'd rather it be their parts. I know I could switch it out if I had a problem and had to send it back to them but just trying to modify the trans as little as possible.

2. I was told the 4r came in a 95 Bronco and I have been looking on the internet for images of the shifter linkage (not 4x4, regular drive gear linkage). For the E4 I have a plate the shifter cable would mount in and that plate would mount to the trans but it doesn't looks like mine will work at all. I also need to know how the linkage attaches to the trans. The E4 had a lever that mounted on the trans at the MLPS and pointed up but from some of the pics I saw for the 4r the lever was down and a little different shape, but again, I am not sure if those were for a Bronco or just what.
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby decipha » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 pm

1> you should be able to, it won't control the lock up correctly during slip but should lock acceptably when hardlocked

2> the e4, 4r, aod, aode, all have the exact same shift lever setup. On the trans the lever itself can be flipped around internally from the bottom to the top.
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby RIKIL » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks. I will use the 1 ohm solenoid.

My sifter cable bracket is definitely different, in the pic my E4OD bracket is on top, what I got from u-pull-and-pay today is on the bottom.

I also found out what the large hole on the back of the driver's side is for...the VSS. Right now my VSS is in my rear diff. Do I even need to change it (install a VSS in the trans and move the wires)? I found it is the same part number. If not I will just put a VSS in there to plug the hole and leave the wires at the rear diff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby decipha » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:20 am

oh yeah the cable bracket itself is vehicle specific but the linkage is the all the same

no you do not need the vss on the back of the trans you can keep your vss in the rear dif so your cluster reads correctly
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby RIKIL » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 am

I got the flexplate drilled out with holes to fit the converter. I put the flexplate and converter together and I noticed with the flexplate being thicker than the previous, the nut goes down only far enough for a little of the stud threads to come out the top. I usually put a lock washer on there with nylock nuts but I don't think I will have room for the washer. OK to just use those nuts?
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby decipha » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:03 pm

as long as u didnt make the holes abnormally large where it can slip through it will be fine

iirc the nuts should be shouldered
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby RIKIL » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Trans will be here Thursday and assuming all is correct this time and I can actually install it...what is the first step with the tune after I am ready to drive? I am all ready to go with exception of the drive shafts. I need to measure for those but after talking to the shop that will do the work, it will only take 1 day. So I am thinking I will be ready to go the Tuesday after I receive the trans if all goes well during install. Very excited about this and hope it works out as planned.
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Unread postby decipha » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:47 am

assuming all is the same from your 2016 tune i posted it with the 4r70w enabled in your thread

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1279&p=38532#p38532
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby RIKIL » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:08 pm

OK, getting closer now and also excited.

Trans is in. Since I have a (Rancho) lift, the place were I need to mount the rear support is blocked where the tortion bar for the lift mounts to the frame. I did some looking around the area on the frame and I see two holes I can use to mount a support. I just need to make it. I think just this and getting the drive shafts modified is all that is in my way now.

For reference, the transmission speed sensor is Borg Warner SN7143. The shifter cable is 5 inches shorter, have not got that part yet. There was one other thing that was different but can't remember it now.
RIKIL
++Premium Elite Member

Previous

Return to Speed Shop & Engine Talk