Fox Body CBAZA Swap Setup

Vehicle specific forum for tuning the Foxbody Chassis Mustangs utilizing the LUX0, GUFA, GUFB, and GUF1 Strategy

Fox Body CBAZA Swap Setup

Unread postby Severus » Sun May 13, 2018 3:36 pm

I started a new thread for this now that we have the ECU sorted out.

I got back to working on this car today and I went through the setup steps (timing, idle reset) and I can get the car to start up and idle up to operating temperature. Idle seems fine but on the rich side (mostly based on smell, I don't have the wideband hooked up yet). Problem is that as soon as I even touch the throttle the engine breaks up and when I come off the throttle it won't idle any more. If I let is sit for 10 minutes or so it will start again and idle fine but has the same problem. I do see in the log that the driver side HEGO is flat at 0.00. I'm sure that's not helping me, should I try changing that sensor? Any other ideas I should try?

Since I'm still new to this I appreciate any input anyone might have.

For reference:
Stock 302
B303 Cam
Stock Injectors/MAF
Cobra Intake
Equal Length Shorty Headers
No EGR/Thermactor
No A/C
Severus
General Poster

Name: Blake Keller
Vehicle Information: 1992 Mustang GT
W4HO
TunerPro RT/QH
Vehicle 2 Information: 1989 Mustang Coupe
Carburetor
Screwdriver

Re: Fox Body CBAZA Swap Setup

Unread postby decipha » Sun May 13, 2018 3:59 pm

maybe you fat fingered something?

load this in and fire it up, should have no problem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Severus » Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Man, thanks for the fast reply! That works a lot better. I had downloaded a clean copy of the cbaza bin from the downloads section earlier today and hadn't changed anything other than the injector order, ports, and the fuel pump prime time to 2 secs. I'll compare bins in a minute to see what I did wrong. It also looks like I need to dial in the idle again, as I am getting a high IPSIBR value now that I wasn't getting before.
Severus
General Poster

W4HO
TunerPro RT/QH
Carburetor
Screwdriver

Unread postby decipha » Sun May 13, 2018 5:02 pm

IPSIBR should not be high with that tune! If it is you need to open your throttle stop significantly. The isc multiplier in there i dialed in for a big inch engine with aftermarket heads and all. It barely idle'd without a significant amount of air.

Don't compare bins and expect an a/b comparison. Theres a bunch changed in there that's not detrimental. I just opened up a tune for someone i did a cbaza swap on that had a b cam then just copied the stock maf and injector info over.

it'll give you a good base to at least get started and dial it in, theoretically your fuel and spark should be dialed in so that only leaves idle, dashpot, startup enrichment, the isc multiplier and inferred load to dial in.
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Severus » Sun May 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Ok good to know. I think I am going to swap that one o2 sensor that is barely reporting any voltage as I have a few spares. I'll open up the throttle too, which is odd because the idle set just fine following your pre-tune write up.

Thanks again for your help, I'm basically experimenting with this motor while I build a new 306. I will almost certainly have you do a remote tune on that motor.
Severus
General Poster

W4HO
TunerPro RT/QH
Carburetor
Screwdriver

Unread postby decipha » Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 pm

if it was fine before and nothing changed then most likely the idle spark is lower causing her to want more air, i find the b cams dont like alot of timing at idle

go set the fbs_spk_min - idle spark min clip to 10 deg see if that helps it a bit, otherwise make sure your fuel isnt doing anything goofy it should be on the money being stock maf and injectors

yep experimentation is the best way to learn. cool just lmk when the time comes in the premium member section youll see step by step exactly how i dial in a tune. its much easier to learn when you see what all it takes to get it there.
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Severus » Sat May 19, 2018 6:57 am

Pushing that timing up to 10 definitely helped with the air demand, it is sitting a nice 0.00 now. It also seems to have helped with part throttle response. There is no more hesitation or lugging when there is a fast transition to WOT. Couple of questions:

1. The idle is very high for some reason. Withe spout,iac,tps disconnected I can get it to a non-surging ~800 RPM, but with it all connected its up around 1050-1100 and won't come down. I am going to try another base idle reset today to see if that helps.
2. When I push in the clutch and let off the throttle the engine is slow to rev down, then drops back to idle quickly after approx 2 seconds. I have a brand new IAC on there so I don't think its stuck open, and I cleaned and tested the throttle body and the action is good there so I don't think I have a mechanical issue.

I'm going to try and dial in the rest of the parameters this weekend working from your write ups, mostly as an exercise.
Severus
General Poster

W4HO
TunerPro RT/QH
Carburetor
Screwdriver

Unread postby decipha » Sat May 19, 2018 10:04 am

1) u need to close the throttle stop

2) thats dashpot, adjust it how you like, can reduce the min clip in that rpm range and speed up the decay a touch at that dashpot airmass
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Severus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:48 pm

I've been away from this project for a while (changed jobs) but I'm back working on it now and have learned some interesting things about this car. Turns out what I thought was stock heads is actually some old school GT-40 Y aluminum heads that were just really really dirty. Which explains why the previous owner had bought a new shortblock and basically everything else for it except heads. My current plan is to pick up where he left off and swap the shortblock out, but in the mean time I'm trying to get this one running well enough to tool around on the weekends while I wait for my 89 Coupe to sell.

So I hooked up to it today after changing the O2 sensors out and loading in T4M2 base tune from the downloads section (I sorted out what I was doing wrong when I was editing it before to fix the injector order) and it fires up fine. For the first couple minutes was getting (albeit low) readings from the O2 sensors but they slowly bottomed out to 0.00 on both sides and stay there no matter what. I went through the wiring harness from the sensor all the way to the ECU with my wire tester and verified there are no faults, so I am at a bit of a loss here. The new sensors are genuine motorcraft parts, so I don't think the sensors are bad (I got a similar result from a new set of Bosch ones before I bought the Motorcraft ones).

Any thoughts out there why this would happen? I'm kind of leaning towards grounding issue with the ECU harness but before I mess with it more I wanted to see if there were any other opinions. Thanks!
Severus
General Poster

W4HO
TunerPro RT/QH
Carburetor
Screwdriver

Unread postby decipha » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:39 pm

is your fuel dialed in or anywhere in the ballpark?
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Severus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:07 pm

I havent done much to it other than cut the maf flow below 400 counts by multiplying by 0.85. So in short no, but I wouldn't expect it to be way out since it's not a huge change to the motor over stock. Then again I am a novice...
Severus
General Poster

W4HO
TunerPro RT/QH
Carburetor
Screwdriver

Unread postby decipha » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:18 pm

considering you have a stock maf and injectors it should be right in the ball park, if you multiplied the bottom portion of the maf by .85 your hegos should be report 0 as it should be lean

put your maf transfer back to stock let it get in to closed loop and dial in your fuel
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda