Newb to EFI cars

This forum is for saying hello and/or testing your posts, such as checking your signature, etc, or to just say hello.

Newb to EFI cars

Unread postby Bearwen » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:46 pm

I am not a kid and have experience with motors and cars but and a BIG but I really know almost nothing when it comes to the EFI and computer stuff when EFI really got big I was starting a family and had no money for cars. Well the kids are older my paychecks are bigger and I want to learn and play with cars again and now I basically have to learn all over again.
Now I am not an old man so technology is not evil to me but I am not a texting facebook kid either.
So is there a getting started for dummies section that really breaks it down in an understandable way giving you the insight of "what, how and why" ?
Before joining I was reading through some posts and someone pointed to a getting started section and I read through most of it and a lot of it was a bit over my head "but I will get it eventually".

So moral of the story I have a 1999 mercury sable with a duratec 30 motor and I want to mess with it and learn this tuner stuff.
I looked for a newb section but didn't find one if I missed it please point me to it.

Thanks
I couldn't agree more with the rules section about helping each other with the knowledge cause it is a shame to keep it to yourself
Bearwen
General Poster

Name: Berry
Vehicle Information: 99 Mercury sable 3.0 liter DOHC Duratec with AX4N Auto transmission

Re: Newb to EFI cars

Unread postby decipha » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:00 pm

welcome to the forum Berry

The Member Introduction section is under The Range, direct link ----> viewforum.php?f=55
No worries, most people miss it as well so your not alone.

yep yep knowledge is powah.

Do you have any go fast goodies on the sable?

if that's the vehicle your wanting to tune there isn't any open source support for it

yes the getting started link has info about where to begin, in short any EEC your best option is always a QH, in your case though you won't be able to immediately jump in since there isn't a def file out there for you, unfortunately the only way to get one made is to pay for one, its very unlikely you'll find an open source one.

getting started link ----> http://efidynotuning.com/started.htm

as for the intricacies of tuning, your best bet is to go to the Write Ups sub menu on the homepage and start at the top most write up which is the getting started page and work your way down that list, I put the top of it in order so its in practical continuation as for learning steps and the correct order you should proceed.

It gets pretty involved and takes quite a bit to grasp it all, its MUCH easier though if you have a vehicle you can play with in the process to make changes and see how it affects the engine running. You can read it all many times over but until you actually put it to use it'll be difficult to retain it all. Don't be discouraged if you don't get it all at once, it usually takes about a year before you can get an in depth understanding of what all is going on. After that its all a walk in the park.

Check it out and if you have any questions post back here. Any questions you have others are sure to have as well, it just takes that one person to ask the question. I always look forward to improving on the write ups as well as it helps everyone. Anything you need clarification on don't hesitate to post.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer

Unread postby Bearwen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:03 am

Yah that's the car I wanted to mess with the duratec 30 motor is actually pretty impressive but it gets no love.
In fact I got to this forum after a few days of googleing to find tuning info for this car.
Since there's no def file how can I learn about that as well making one I like to know as much about something hint as I can and I figure this info will transfer to other cars and what not may be some differences but once you learn the ins and outs should be able to figure it out whether ford eecv or whatever a Honda uses.

So I will start reading the info you noted but I would like to know more about a def file how to make it and who could make me one and what does that cost
Bearwen
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 99 Mercury sable 3.0 liter DOHC Duratec with AX4N Auto transmission

Unread postby Bearwen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:18 am

Just checked the page you linked that's the info I read that got me excited that I finally found a place with the info I was looking for but no def file for me so know that I have read the write up where do I go next since I have no def code I know I will need hardware but gotta figure out some of this stuff before I buy hardware as it may be a useless endeavor unless I can get a def file or learn to make it
Bearwen
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:47 am

the disassembly write up on the homepage has the details on how to interpret the actual machine code the ecu is calculating (the 0s & 1s) thats a bit more advanced than tuning and many tuners have no understanding of assembly at all. if you dont have a background in integrated circuits and some form of upper level programming at a minimum then youll be in for a treat. Thats like a nurses aid attempting to perform brain surgery on the first day at the job. I dont mean to discourage you but its quite involved. Read over the disassembly write up and if you can follow along then your in good shape.

Theres only a handful of us who make def files, its a time consuming and tedious process so most either give up or dont bother. It takes a special kind of person to devote that much time on these old boxes. But if your in it for the long term you will eventually pick it all up and understand it all.

I dont mean to discourage you im just giving you a fair warning that its a pretty steep slope.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer

Unread postby Bearwen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:23 pm

No discouragement I actually work in electronics component level repair 2m micro certified solder and surface mount stuff.
I do not have any real knowledge of programming. Some basic and atlas many many moons ago.
All though I work component level repair of electronics I am no engineer and to be honest have forgotten a lot since school days (20+ years ago) I did learn binary and hexadecimal to get through school so I'm sure I can learn it again.
I realized the info you pointed me to that there were quite a few more In drop down than I thought so I am going through it once I get through it I will write back and hopefully have more knowledge and better understanding as the what to ask so that it can start moving forward with possibly creating a def file. Thanks for all the info so far.
Bearwen
General Poster

Return to Member Introduction