Misfire at low loads

Decipha's custom GUFX strategy covers all 89-93 foxbody ecu's including the 88 mass-air california ecus.
Brewster
Vehicle Information: 1992 Mustang LX
347 Cui
AFR 185

Misfire at low loads

Unread post by Brewster »

IF you guys wouldn't mind taking a minute to look over this file and logs. Working on a 1990 GT with a 347, Fixed a bunch of customer install issues and started up a base file. Running and starting good but cruising on the dyno at low loads its somewhat bucking and seems like it has a misfire. I feel like its either a lean miss or an actual miss. If I get into the throttle a bit it clears up and runs good, will have wideband hooked into EEC today for future logs. Maf looks a little unstable, Just trying to use the trims to get part throttle worked out. Also to mention I found a Capacitor in the EEC that leaked its guts out and had a broken leg. Had Cap replaced and other x2 caps looked mint. EEC seems to be working well.

1990 GT 347
24lb EV1 injectors ( Purple )
Professional Products 87mm MAf
New plugs Auto lite 3924
New wires ( Taylor Thunderbolt)
Mallory Ignition box
MSD blaster coil
Timing set at 10 with spout out
GT40 Intake
Comp 224 cam
Edelbrock E street heads- 202
A9L2-CL-Mech-Idle.bin
(56 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Attachments
Warm-Idle.xdl
(115.32 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Cruise-Accel.xdl
(138.24 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
dleach1407
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, CBAZA Quarterhorse
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Re: Misfire at low loads

Unread post by dleach1407 »

bypass the aftermarket ignition box and see if the problem is still there.
Brewster
347 Cui
AFR 185

Yea I'm starting to think the aftermarket ignition is an issue so far. Last couple hours been working with the MAF and FN035A to get the fueling dialed a little closer. Runs good with no miss if your hard into it but now it acts like its hitting a rev limiter right at 4700 rpm every pull no matter what I do. The data looks pretty good to me but maybe someone else can chime in incase I've missed something. Maf isn't very stabile but I don't think that's the issue. 3rd gear pull log attached with newest .bin
Attachments
A9L2-CL-Mech-Idle.bin
(56 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
WOT3RD.xdl
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Brewster
347 Cui
AFR 185

Also to note the Wideband is a touch fat but hoovering around 11.5, and when it hits the brick wall at 4700 it sounds just like a rev limit so I let off instantly. Fuel pressure is maintaining 43 psi
Brewster
347 Cui
AFR 185

Here is a log of a steady cruise and then a slight accel through a few gears and then decel back down to idle. Who thinks this maf is super unstable and causing some issues?

Why is bank 1 and 2 lambse apart from each other ? Car has short tube heads but look like they have some length to the primaries.
Attachments
Cruise-Accel-2.xdl
(96.65 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Brewster
347 Cui
AFR 185

Exhaust leak or vac leak ? I sprayed some brakleen around the intake and what not and am not hearing anything or seeing any trim changes. Exhaust seems sealed up but will smoke it for the hell of it
m-barans
Vehicle Information: 2003 Mercury Marauder 300A with new stock bore IRON 4.6 block, Manley crank, Manley H-tuff h-beam rods, CP pistons with stainless rings, ARP head studs, GT500 lash adjusters and rollers, D series cylinder heads, VMP GEN3R 2.65 L TVS blower, 80 lb/hr FRPP Siemens Deka injectors, HPX slot 100mm MAF, coyote mustang fuel pump with Holley 60 psi filter/regulator return at pump, Stainless works long tube headers and complete exhaust, Moates quarter horse and TunerPro RT with support from Decipha, RZASA strategy.

2001 Ford Lightning SVT F-150 stock engine w/ inlet ported M112, GT500 rollers, ARP head studs, metco quick change upper pulley with stock sized upper, K&N intake system, bassani SS exhaust system from the stock manifold flanges back. 4x4 trans oil pan. SSBC big brakes 14” up front. Work/Street truck. My “next to build” with trick flow heads (before extinction) with h-beams & cobra jet crank (sitting in tool box) and proper pistons. Next up after the marauder is dialed in.

Unread post by m-barans »

Exhaust leaks could explain the bias in fueling for bank 1 vs bank 2. If you have a misfire(s) on one bank it can throw off that banks fuel trim (rich) as well. If I had to guess it’s probably an ignition system related misfire on that (richer) bank.
Brewster
347 Cui
AFR 185

Just found a crack in the intake manifold! Smoked the exhaust and intake system with a Mac smoke machine and sure enough the intake manifold is leaking. I'll report back once I replace the intake manifold.
bad86capri
Vehicle Information: 1986 Capri 306, Twisted Wedge heads, RPM II Intake, Anderson B3 cam, 80Lbs Siemens Injectors, MAC Longtube Headers, G-Force T5, Spec 6 Puck Clutch, Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft.

Unread post by bad86capri »

Did this fix your issue? My car is having a similar issue. Between 1300-2000 rpm at light throttle is goes straight lean and starts bucking. if youre on the throttle around halfway its seems to be fine. My issue started when i let a guy help me with my tune. i switched from the A9L2 bin to binary editor. after making tune adjustments thee issue popped up. im going to move all the data from back into A9L2 and see if it goes away.
Brewster
347 Cui
AFR 185

Still haven't had a chance to finish this one, customer opted to come grab his car and replace his intake manifold himself. When he's done with that I'm sure he ll bring it back and I can continue onward and upward.

I've noticed any cammed fox's I've played with usually have a bit of a miss while cruising or low loads. I've always inspected the ignition systems and never find any issues there, not sure if there just running a little lean and don't like it, a characteristic with a cam or what it could be.

Hows your trims when yours starts messing around?