Need custom EEC-V tuning for governor operation

Used on the 4cyl 99-06 ranger with single coils and theft disabled.
wwhite
Vehicle Information: 1994 Flarside, XLT, 351w E4OD
SD48b, Quarter Horse, Burn2

Re: Need custom EEC-V tuning for governor operation

Unread post by wwhite »

I think this Brown Box is the governor:
wwhite

Unread post by wwhite »

I think this Brown Box is the governor:

Here is the instruction manual:
ESD5500E.pdf
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 488 times
Now that you have the engine running, you just need to configure the majic brown box,...maybe?
Acesales
Vehicle Information: 2003 JLG Boom lift 2.5L Ford EFI running on a 1998 Ford Ranger EEC-V XL5F-12A650-DA DTR0

Unread post by Acesales »

I tried all different adjustments of the governor. I could never steady the engine. It's like the engine timing was all over the place. Near idle it would be 10 degrees restarted. Just barely touch the throttle and timing would jump up to 20 or 30 degrees advanced. RPM would jump by a 1000 RPM or more. Is there a way to lock the timing in the Ranger computer?
wwhite

Unread post by wwhite »

Acesales wrote: 2022 Oct 26, 21:36 I tried all different adjustments of the governor. I could never steady the engine. It's like the engine timing was all over the place. Near idle it would be 10 degrees restarted. Just barely touch the throttle and timing would jump up to 20 or 30 degrees advanced. RPM would jump by a 1000 RPM or more. Is there a way to lock the timing in the Ranger computer?
I am assuming that is with the actuator installed.
Fast erratic governor behaviour may be caused by very soft or worn couplings in the drive train.
How many hours? Hows the coupling?

Hows the speed sensor pickup, tested to be within spec?
red5.0fogger
Vehicle Information: 1986 Mustang GT, Stock block, TFS 170 Heads , N41 cam, ported cobra intake, nitrous, T5 , 3.73s

Unread post by red5.0fogger »

it looks like G H and J should be connected to a throttle sensor so the governor knows where the throttle angle is. And there's Droop? IDK what that
is. Has a switch symbol.
red5.0fogger
Vehicle Information: 1986 Mustang GT, Stock block, TFS 170 Heads , N41 cam, ported cobra intake, nitrous, T5 , 3.73s

Unread post by red5.0fogger »

Droop could be a time out switch where the rpm goes down to a low idle when engine is not loaded.
Acesales
Vehicle Information: 2003 JLG Boom lift 2.5L Ford EFI running on a 1998 Ford Ranger EEC-V XL5F-12A650-DA DTR0

Unread post by Acesales »

The erratic RPM is without the actuator connected. Moving the throttle a few degrees causes s big jump in RPM. If you quickly release the throttle it still hangs higher then slowly comes back down after a few seconds.
The couplings are new Heim joints and tight. The speed sensor detects ring gear teeth. It generates an AC voltage. I measured around 4 to five volts while running.
GHJ are for a remote potentiometer. Same as adjusting the RPM pot inside the governor unit.
From what I've read droop allows the engine to lag in RPM response. It's mostly used for AC generators running in parallel, or synchronous operation. Also prevents RPM "hunting".
I returned the governor thinking there could be something wrong with it. Seems like with chinese products the customer is now quality control.