Losing my mind on a CTBAE SLL4

For all other non specifically listed ECU tuning. This would include can-bus ecu's such as powerpc copperhead tricore and siemens ecus. As well as GM, Dodge or any aftermarket controller tuning etc...
Schemasservice
Vehicle Information: 68 Mustang with 96 Explorer 5.0H.O. Stroked to 347. Trickflow intake/ heads. Flowtech custom Cam. CTBAE, SLL4.

Losing my mind on a CTBAE SLL4

Unread post by Schemasservice »

Good evening. Long time listener, first time caller. I have a 68 Mustang with a 96 Explorer driveline transplant. Cal/ strategy in subject line. SCT proracer, so I do all my own tuning. I am a master Ford tech of 20+ years, so I think I know my way around Ford driveability… anything Ford for that matter. I stroked it to a 347, Trickflow heads/ induction. FTI custom cam, 80lb Siemens Deka injectors, 99 GT Ford Maf… I’m sure I’m forgetting something. Anyway, I’ve had this car on the road for 4 years now. Never been on a dyno, but it goes like hell. Starts good, idles good, runs great. Thanks to the write ups here on dialing idle airflow, and all that. Idles @ 750 rpms nicely. Base fuel tables, cold, startup enrichment, decay, all set. Getting to the problem…. It will stall out when I put it in gear. When I go to restart, it surges. Runs rich and stalls. I have to get on the gas, stay on it, and bring it down slowly to idle again. My wideband will drop down to .95 lambda and back to 1 a few times, then it’s good… until next time. When it stalls at first, wideband will drop down below .85. If I tap the gas when I drop it in gear, it’s fine. If I don’t, and it stalls, I have to rev the piss out of her and play games for a couple minutes to get her to settle down.. all the while, looking like a jackass in the parking lot. I can’t figure out what is causing this. A couple things; I have the maf dialed in perfectly down to 200 counts. I can’t get it to idle any lower to set those numbers reliably. (I’m assuming they are close?) When I drop into gear, could my maf counts be dropping for a split second into those ranges and that “corrupts” my fuel trims? I have tried leaning out the range under 200 counts, it hasn’t made a difference. Second thing, I have a USshift stand alone trans controller. So I have trans control shut off in the PCM. There is an anticipator for IAC and trans engagement. That is not there now. I could see that possibly causing some stalls, but not the rich issue. I have been down my software a hundred times looking for some setting that I missed. I have been fighting this for a couple years, I’m sure I’m forgetting more info… I hate asking for help, but this thing has me stumped. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks Brian
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: Losing my mind on a CTBAE SLL4

Unread post by decipha »

if you dont have a tr sensor hooked up then the ecu has no way of knowing when the trans engages.

Only way to 'fix' it is to allow more and faster idle correction and to increase idle spark torque reserve.

FN85x are the idle air PID controller functions you can use them to kick up air on rpm drops.

tc_under can be set to 0 seconds so it adds air in as soon as the rpms drop below idle

and make sure the iscdc is 0 at fully warmed idle in park.

As far as fueling are you sure you scaled the tune so the low slope isnt banging the injector clip?

if it hot starts rich have you tried reducing the cranking pw when hot? you can also use the cranking pw multiplier table to reduce crank pulse after 4 pips as well.
Schemasservice
Vehicle Information: 68 Mustang with 96 Explorer 5.0H.O. Stroked to 347. Trickflow intake/ heads. Flowtech custom Cam. CTBAE, SLL4.

I realize it’s not ideal, and I have figured out a way I may be able to add the tr sensor back as a pcm input. It’s just that, it doesn’t do this all the time, which makes me think I can program my way out of this. Maybe I’m wrong. A couple of possibly dumb questions; do you know what the FN85x functions are in SCT language? And what do you mean by the “low slope banging the injector clip? Lastly, how do I increase idle spark torque reserve? There are several titles having to do with torque calculation, I haven’t messed with any.
Iscdc is at 07 hot idle in park. That’s as low as she’ll go. I did kick the tc under down to 0. That may have helped a bit.
I did lower cranking pw at higher ect’s. Although, I don’t think that is part of my issue. It only goes rich on hot start after a stall from putting it into gear. Otherwise, it starts fine hot. It has to be learning something. Because if it goes into it’s rich funk, and I reflash the pcm, it’s instantly better…. Until another stalling (or 2) into gear. I hope I’m explaining this right…. Thank you for your input. The knowledge in your write ups is unbelievably helpful.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

should say idle proportional and idle derivative or something along those lives

make sure your not clipping the injector slope as outlined in the fuel write up

you have to give her more air to get less spark at idle, you command less spark targeted with the idle spark torque reserve scalar. Highly unlikely sct will have access to it though.

shouldn't have to

.07 is low enough no worries

if its going rich on decel (rpm drops) then its either the maf points below idle are too high or the underspeed fuel multiplier function is dumping fuel or its learning bad kams at below idle points. Set the adaptive minimum load scalar to .12 load. Clear the kams and see if thats your issue.

You should see it by kams shooting up while the comes down and stalls.
Schemasservice

Ok. So I'm not crazy. I am finding SCT doesn't give me a lot of the parameters that I need for this. So, can I just go through your forum here and donate to have you straiten this stuff out? If I understand it correctly, I can send you my .mtf file, you can make the necessary changes on your end, and I can continue with my SCT stuff on my end where I left off? I am more than willing to do that if it will work. I really don't want to invest in / learn new tuning software at this point. Thanks!
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

yeah no problem

info for remote tune

http://www.efidynotuning.com/remote.htm
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L