SBF EDIS (or CNP?)

Anything not covered in the other forums.
lugbolt
Vehicle Information: 1992 ford mustang gt A9P 10.5:1 pump gas 408"w AFR205 T56 Magnum 8.8/3.73

SBF EDIS (or CNP?)

Unread post by lugbolt »

75 ford maverick bracket race car. 440" SBF, methanol injected (think of it as a carburetor but even more crude). Makes about 700hp n/a and no power adders. Shift at about 7200-ish, finish line sometimes gets up around 7800 depending on the weather. 7600 most of the time.

Looking at EDIS and using MegaJolt. I have a lot of it figured out, or "brainstormed", but a few things that people have been telling me have me concerned, to the point where I don't think I'm gonna go any further until I get some better understanding.

I have the MJ (E) box, and I have an EDIS-8 module from a Crown Vic 4.6 (96 I think). Some guys are telling me that the EDIS module won't support the RPM that my car turns. Most are telling me that 6300 is tops. Some say 25,000 tops. Who's right and who's full of it? 6300 is the stall speed of the converter for crying out loud!

Second issue and may be a non-issue. The car has a 16v battery in it, which will stay. It has 3 terminals on it, ground +12v and +16v. IT is all 16v right now. Any reason EDIS won't run on 16v? I haven't found a 12v accessory yet that doesn't work better on 16v. No alternator on this car. Running voltage stays up around 15.5v with everything on (fans, lights, ignition, etc). The charger puts out a little over 18v, and I kick the master switch off if I'm charging (always).

Thought about going with coil-near-plug but I don't have a controller for that, and would need to buy something. MegaJolt/C is a dead project and would have probably worked fine for what I'm doing. So that leaves me with MS3, right? Can MS3 run ignition only without it getting confused with not having any FI? Really all I need is a 2D ignition. Start at about 15 deg BTDC and then all in by 1000 rpm at 38, then pull 2 deg at 6000, 2 more deg by 6800. With MSD 6AL box and dist currently in the car, I can't do all that. It has really soft "HEI" springs on the mech adv, so it's cranking at 14 initial and 32 by 800, whhere it stays. It slows down at 34 deg (MPH drops way off).
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: SBF EDIS (or CNP?)

Unread post by decipha »

I wouldn't recommend using megajolt or the old edis module. Best bet is an integrated edis module from a newer faster ecu.

16v ain't shit I've ran them up to 19v with no problems.

Curious, why do you need a fan if running methanol? We used filled blocks back in the day. Unless trans cooler?

Toss an 03/04 luxury sedan on it for timing duty only. You can do either coil on plug using oem ford coils (99-04) or you can use coil packs (98 and older).

All the ecu needs is the crank trigger and she can spin 8k all day every day no problem.
lugbolt
Vehicle Information: 1992 ford mustang gt A9P 10.5:1 pump gas 408"w AFR205 T56 Magnum 8.8/3.73

Unread post by lugbolt »

I use a fan, because bracket racing. Sometimes there's not 15 minutes between rounds, often less in later rounds. Last year in the semi, and finals were all run in 20 minutes succession. Engine will get hot (well warm), but the fan + electric water pump will cool the block down sufficiently in 5 minutes' time in the Arkansas summer heat. Engine and trans Oil temp is also critical when you're chasing ten thousandths of a second.

I guess I don't follow the integrated EDIS module? You mean use a 03-04 entire ECU, then have to buy a chip for it? Or? Sorry, I'm a kind of a dummy with this-but learning.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

yep, use your quarterhorse to dial it in then when done I can write the ecu directly and we can ship-swap them no problem.