Looking for tuning help on 1996 Bronco

Covers most all fords in the 96/97 model year including but not limited to mustangs v6, v8, cobra, thunderbids, lincoln town car, grand marquis, crown vic and even some trucks and vans.
TexasA&M
Vehicle Information: 1996 Bronco
427 Stroker
GT40 Heads
Trickflow Cam
Edlebrock Intake
Bassini Shorty Headers
30lb injectors
Pro-M MAF

Looking for tuning help on 1996 Bronco

Unread post by TexasA&M »

Howdy folks -

Last year I swapped a 427 in the place of the worn out 351 in my 1996 Bronco. I added the standard stuff - intake, headers, exhaust, etc. I'm using the factory Ford EFI and programming. I upgraded to 30lb injectors and a calibrated MAF from PRO-M. Overall, she is running good, but I haven't gotten the timing dialed in perfectly as I can still hear some pinging in certain situations. I haven't touched the tuning but feel that I'm probably leaving some power/effeciency/driveability on the table. I don't know much about tuning, so I'm hoping that y'all can educate me a bit before I take the plunge (want to make sure this is the right direction before spending $$$).

I reached out to a couple of local(ish) shops last year after the swap only to find that they were backed up several months. Since they are all 50+ miles away, I didn't press or stay in contact because I basically didn't want to have to go there multiple times to get this thing dialed in. After dpoing some more google searching recently, I stumbled upon this site and am intrigued.

Thoughts on how y'all could help? What should my expectations be? I don't know much about the internals of the engine (I had it built... I do have the cam specs and calibration sheet from the MAF though) nor how much power it makes. I've read through a lot of the getting started stuff on the site and most doesn't apply to my situation, but still think I could get something out of the motor with some custom tuning.

I'm all ears and am ready to learn!
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: Looking for tuning help on 1996 Bronco

Unread post by decipha »

But most importantly, Custom tuning will Improve Fuel Economy, Performance, and Safety. And gives you peace of mind knowing your vehicle is running properly

All aspects of the tune from cold startup to idle, part throttle drive-ability and wot peformance.

I copy and pasted from the homepage.

If your running the stock 351 tune on your modified 427 then theres probably a good bit lacking that your probably unaware of in efficiency.

not sure how to describe what your expectations should be but it should be a noticeable improvement
TexasA&M
427 Stroker
GT40 Heads
Trickflow Cam
Edlebrock Intake
Bassini Shorty Headers
30lb injectors
Pro-M MAF

That's what I wanted to hear. I've done a lot of mods in the past that didn't meet expectations, so am trying not to set this one up too high. Other than donating to become a premium member, what kind of costs am I looking at? I'm figuring it'll be ~800 total... does that sound right?

What all am I going to need to get started? I've read through the getting started but am having trouble pinpointing what would be needed for my specific application.
dleach1407
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, CBAZA Quarterhorse
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Unread post by dleach1407 »

Did you at least install a chip and tell the computer the new engine size? If not, its not calculating load or fuel correctly (at a minumum) and It will for sure run better once you change the tune. That could be where the pinging is comging from.

You really just need a quarterhorse (250$) and a laptop for logging and making changes and then become a premium member if you are having Decipha tune it. You will also need an F3 chip to burn the tune to if you want to remove the quarterhorse which is a good idea since the quarterhorse has a battery that needs to be replaced every couple years.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

what ecu do you have?

No need in a chip the quarterhorse is all that's needed. I wouldn't be concerned about the battery on it.
dleach1407
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

decipha wrote: 2022 Feb 11, 13:14 what ecu do you have?

No need in a chip the quarterhorse is all that's needed. I wouldn't be concerned about the battery on it.
How often do you replace the battery in yours when left in a car? Ive been doing it every couple years.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

Ive had my first qh in my black sc since 2009 and never changed it.

any qh made in the last 3 years gets power from the ecu so as long as the car bettery isnt dead not even used
TexasA&M
427 Stroker
GT40 Heads
Trickflow Cam
Edlebrock Intake
Bassini Shorty Headers
30lb injectors
Pro-M MAF

decipha wrote: 2022 Feb 11, 13:14 what ecu do you have?

How do I determine the ECU?

I'm ready to start ordering parts as soon as I figure out the end game! Ready to get this thing running top notch!
dleach1407
wbo2_030MtxL

TexasA&M wrote: 2022 Feb 11, 16:31
How do I determine the ECU?

I'm ready to start ordering parts as soon as I figure out the end game! Ready to get this thing running top notch!
You have to pull the ecu and look at it. There is a sticker on it that has a code. That code is what you need to determine which ecu you have. That dictates which stats(s) can be used for that particular computer.
TexasA&M
427 Stroker
GT40 Heads
Trickflow Cam
Edlebrock Intake
Bassini Shorty Headers
30lb injectors
Pro-M MAF

ok, I'll look into pulling the ECM out and taking a look. Any way to see the label without removing? I'm actually planning to do some interior work this weekend (wiring in new lights), so could pull the kick panel and have a look.