Diablosport CMR Ford Chip burner

Anything not covered in the other forums.
mechanicalmatch
Vehicle Information: 00 F150 4.6L Extended cab
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

Diablosport CMR Ford Chip burner

Unread post by mechanicalmatch »

I picked up a Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution D3 Ford Chip burner a week ago.I want to try to get a read of a black Diablosport J3 chip as the Moates reader would not read any data off it. I was able to get a read of the d3 chip after alot of messing around as the chip burner has to have the same dealer number as the file on the chip if you want to get a proper read and even be able to save the file.
So now I have the contents of of the chip saved in .frd format and now trying to figure out how to convert it to a usable bin so i can modify it with tunerpro and load it onto a QH. I know that one way would be to use CMR to write it back to a PCM and use something else like a PCM flash to read it back out in .bin format. I do not have any other CMR hardware to be able to accomplish this (yet), so that is the next thing I am working on.
One thing I wanted to share with you guys is how I was able to even get the chip to read even though I am not the dealer. It turned out to be pretty easy. Here are the steps
- download CMR software from http://installers.diablosport.com/softw ... taller.exe
- after it installs, open Revolution Burner (should be 3.13)
-click the "READ MOD" under the utilities tab on the right. You will get screen pop up that will give you some information about the read, look for the dealer number used to program the chip and write that number down so you don't forget.
-download the file the update Revolution Burner software which has a firmware change in it as well. https://forum.diablosport.com/download/ ... p?id=15446 (this is version 3.2.0.1)
-when it creates a new desktop shortcut, add something to the name like 3.2 so you know which version it is.
-run the installer, after it is complete, plug the burner
-You should get the message "USB Programmer need to be upgraded.Proceed?" so click ok and let it update the firmware and let it do its thing and then close out the window when it is done.
-open Revolution Burner software back up and it will ask you for your dealer code. Put the dealer code that is on the chip in that box. Now your chip burner dealer code is whatever you put in it.
-to change it again, open up the earlier version of Revolution Burner (3.13) and it will ask you to update the firmware. It will try and then tell you "incompatible programmer version *** , please update your programmer!!!) click ok and close out the window
- open up your "newer" version of revolution burner. You should get the message "USB Programmer need to be upgraded.Proceed?" so click ok and let it update the firmware and let it do its thing and then close out the window when it is done.
-open up the newer version of revolution burner again, you can change your dealer code again to whatever you want. you can repeat this process as many times as you want.
-If any of this is unclear, just ask.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: Diablosport CMR Ford Chip burner

Unread post by decipha »

Its usually always easiest IME to just start from scratch when tuning

seems like it would take more work to get the tune than to actually tune it
mechanicalmatch
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

yea i know and i agree. in this situation, i have a friend that asked me to see if i could convert it. i said what the heck lets see what we can do. i am up for a challange. so far i am, lets call it half way there. maybe this could be of use to another forum member in the future to help them get them started with a QH and tuner pro or let them see what has already been done or something like that.

reading the chip only takes about 5 min after the software is downloaded with the steps i just described. if one already has had a custom tune from Diablosport and just wants to do something small like a idle speed adjustment, tire size etc...and they dont want to pay another diablosport tuner to make the changes needed, than i can see how this would actually be a time saver. that is if you have access to the hardware.....maybe i need to think about helping other forum member out when i get this sorted out.
wwhite
Vehicle Information: 1994 Flarside, XLT, 351w E4OD
SD48b, Quarter Horse, Burn2

Unread post by wwhite »

I'd be interested in the .frd format file.
Can you post that?
Might have to add .zip or .bin instead of the .frd extension.
More than likely it is a custom software, and will not be worth converting.
But, maybe its just a .bin disguised as a .frd.
mechanicalmatch
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

I will post it as soon as I get my laptop back together. I updated to a SSD last year and didn't go big enough, so I get to upgrade again.

The .frd file looks to be encrypted. It doesn't look like any other bin I have dug thru. It opens fine in a hex editor. I would like to hear your thoughts after you get to take a look at it