Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Place for your vehicle notes and blow-by-blow build threads.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Re: Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Unread post by ATPCR »

Thanks for the link!
RinerAuto
Vehicle Information: 1994 Mustang
302W w/RZASA and CNP
YouTube: RinerAutomotive
Instagram: RinerAutomotive

Unread post by RinerAuto »

Quick update: the engine officially runs on RZASA with Godzilla coils!!

It wasn't all smooth sailing though
  • Don't forget to scrape off the protective layer on the J3 port, quarterhorse won't work... All me how I know :)
  • I had ECT incorrectly wired, it should go to pin 38, which is different then Crown Vic/Marauder/Grand Marq/etc cars
  • I never could find a wiring diagram for the Godzilla coils and guessed, I guessed wrong and had them wired backwards which gave a weak spark
  • Moved ground wire from Pin 77 to Pin 3, seemed to help. I dunno
  • Now fighting an issue with Tunerpro where it disconnects after starting the engine and I can't datalog
  • Once get the above issue fixed and start getting datalogs to Decipha and can hopefully get this thing ripping again!
dleach1407
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, CBAZA Quarterhorse
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Unread post by dleach1407 »

What crank trigger did you end up using? Are you using the sn95/explorer timing cover?
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

dleach1407 wrote: 2023 Apr 21, 14:14 What crank trigger did you end up using? Are you using the sn95/explorer timing cover?
yea explorer timing cover and crank trigger. I made my own wheel though.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

I assume that you are using the Explorer camshaft position sensor. Are you using the two wire or 3 wire? Do you have a spare '03-'04 Ford full size PCM that you would sell reasonable? I have all of the topside engine part of my '99 Crown Vic harness removed and still have to get the transmission and O2 wiring (and anything that I may have overlooked) disconnected. I purchased a 1999 Crown Vic wiring book for reference. Glad to hear that you got it fired up.
dleach1407
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

ATPCR wrote: 2023 Apr 23, 21:55 I assume that you are using the Explorer camshaft position sensor. Are you using the two wire or 3 wire? Do you have a spare '03-'04 Ford full size PCM that you would sell reasonable? I have all of the topside engine part of my '99 Crown Vic harness removed and still have to get the transmission and O2 wiring (and anything that I may have overlooked) disconnected. I purchased a 1999 Crown Vic wiring book for reference. Glad to hear that you got it fired up.
You use the 99-01 cam syncro and crank sensors if using the 03/04 crown vic ecu.
RinerAuto
302W w/RZASA and CNP

ATPCR wrote: 2023 Apr 23, 21:55 I assume that you are using the Explorer camshaft position sensor. Are you using the two wire or 3 wire? Do you have a spare '03-'04 Ford full size PCM that you would sell reasonable? I have all of the topside engine part of my '99 Crown Vic harness removed and still have to get the transmission and O2 wiring (and anything that I may have overlooked) disconnected. I purchased a 1999 Crown Vic wiring book for reference. Glad to hear that you got it fired up.
As dleach mentioned need to use the later 2 wire cam sync and crank position.

I don't have a spare 03-04 luxury. Do you have a local junkyard? Row52.com is useful for seeing inventory.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Thanks for the info guys. I have the 3 wire sensor out of my '97 and somewhere in my stuff, I have a 2 wire cam sync out od a 2000 Explorer.
I've talked to 2 wrecker drivers that primarily haul junk and abandoned vehicles and will let me know if/when they get a full size 03-04 Ford. I have been so covered up at work that I haven't been to a JY since 2-23-23. The one 04 at a LKQ was hit so hard in the driver's door and fender that one would probably not even want the PCM. I'm glad that your project is going well. Mine is on hold for a bit.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Stephen, You said that you and dleach1407 purchased the Godzilla coil/wire kit and were unable to use the wire set. Was it a length issue or plug end fitment issue? I was looking at FoMoCo's picture of them to see if I could see what wire that they were made out of. I couldn't make it out.
Yesterday when I was contemplating an oil fill hole in the valve cover, I came up with an idea to drill a hole and tap it to fit a npt Allen head plug. The same way that a manual transmission of differential would be filled. I haven't rounded up my long skinny funnel that I use to see if it would fit in a 1/2" or 3/4" pipe thread hole. I think it would be easy to find an accessible and inconspicuous spot to do such. I haven't come up with any other workable ideas for that.
dleach1407
wbo2_030MtxL

ATPCR wrote: 2023 Apr 29, 07:52 Stephen, You said that you and dleach1407 purchased the Godzilla coil/wire kit and were unable to use the wire set. Was it a length issue or plug end fitment issue? I was looking at FoMoCo's picture of them to see if I could see what wire that they were made out of. I couldn't make it out.
Yesterday when I was contemplating an oil fill hole in the valve cover, I came up with an idea to drill a hole and tap it to fit a npt Allen head plug. The same way that a manual transmission of differential would be filled. I haven't rounded up my long skinny funnel that I use to see if it would fit in a 1/2" or 3/4" pipe thread hole. I think it would be easy to find an accessible and inconspicuous spot to do such. I haven't come up with any other workable ideas for that.
They are 90 degree boots which wont work on the passenger side head for me. I have 3 bar heads with angled plugs. On a few cylinders the spark plug wire is extremely close to the header on both sides and the angle causes them to run directly into the valve cover on the passenger side. They arent angled correctly to connect to the coils using angled plug heads. If you have P heads, you might be able to get away with them but its going to depend on your headers. I know on Rinners setup, he is using P heads which have straight plugs but the plug wires run into the headers because of how long they are. Regular 90 or 45 degree plug wire ends are significantly shorter than the ones that come with the Godzilla coils. .