Broken Quarterhorse or Something Else?

Issues pertaining specifically to moates equipment belongs here.
Digidem
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT - Stock Bottom End, Holley Systemax II, AFR165, Ed Curtis Cam, 24lb Injectors, ProM MAF, Full Length Headers, 3.73 Gears

Broken Quarterhorse or Something Else?

Unread post by Digidem »

I recently installed a quarterhorse in my car and have been fighting with it so far. It’s left me wondering if my device is broken or too old and suffering from software compatibility. It’s an earlier quarterhorse without a battery socket. I bought it used and had to solder in a new battery. Binary Editor shows the device to be version 1.6 and displays serial number 0. Initially I set the quarterhorse to basic mode, cleared its ram, and loaded up the base t4m0 calibration. It did not idle well and after a short period of time just wanted to fall flat and stall out. This is not normal, my car has run surprisingly well on the stock computer with the calibrated maf and always started fine. After trying a few different things, I eventually thought to try other quarterhorse modes in Binary Editor’s hardware settings. I manually changed it to advanced settings, mode 2 and tune 2 (where it automatically loaded to when in basic mode). After this, the car started fine as it always had and ran like normal. I figured on my first attempts it was trying to run on blank tunes. A few days later I load in my first real base tune with the idle adjusted, maf transfer, and injectors parameters. It ran like crap again, was extremely rich, and was flooding the engine, and wanted to stall just like my original experience after the install. So I let it sit for a day and reverted back to a plain t4m0 calibration. Same results, tried a different tune number, same results, wrote the tune to all 8 banks, same results. Now I’m feeling the need to remove the quarterhorse and go back to running the stock computer for now. Maybe change over to a newer ecu system. Any thoughts on my experience with this?
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: Broken Quarterhorse or Something Else?

Unread post by decipha »

sounds like your base tune is dumping fuel and the engine needs time to clear out
Digidem
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT - Stock Bottom End, Holley Systemax II, AFR165, Ed Curtis Cam, 24lb Injectors, ProM MAF, Full Length Headers, 3.73 Gears

Unread post by Digidem »

That’s why I only tried starting it a couple times after making changes to the maf transfer and injector settings. In case I made a mistake on that tune. I went back to my original problem, not having success even with a base t4m0 tune. I expect it to run like it did on the stock computer with that plain t4m0 calibration, but I’ve only had one normal start up.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

if you dump fuel it could take a while for the engine to clear up you may have to run it a while

in any case you should always verify the qh is serving correctly by starting the log and verifying communication prior to starting. You can also verify by the fuel pump priming and shutting off.
Digidem

Unread post by Digidem »

Thanks for the replies decipha. I did listen out for the fuel pump and never caught it going beyond its initial priming. Once flooded, I pulled all the spark plugs for inspection and let it air out overnight.

I haven’t got into data logging yet. But will try that as a test for proper communication.