idle vs lean tip in findings finally under control!!

S/D specific subforum for the Gen-1 Lightnings,
88- Tbird/Stang/Lincoln/Mercury, RV's, and Trucks.

idle vs lean tip in findings finally under control!!

Unread postby BongoBob » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Greetings . Idle is good now just needs minor fiddling . I also have a lean tip in ? issue Start from a stop it stumbles pegs the af gage at 18 then goes. Also driving on the road the gage read good at cruise , I haven't checked since I change the other settings but surmising the same if I open the throttle quick at any rpm about 1/2 or less it will peg the af gage at 18 until I let off . I tried the ve table (a guess) I multiplied the whole x axis from the .671 map point (about 1/2 the scale) by 1.25 thinking that would ad fuel . and fix it Incorrect it got worse . So what reading do I need to do enrichment ? I checked the tps it is working everything appeared to be working right on the quick datalog I did . Please point me in the right direction Thanks again bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 93 Lightning Wrecked the last one This one stock as far as I can tell except for FRPP (powerdyne) blower kit and Pro-m/dunnerite mass air conversion. Has Banks tc200 trans controller 24lb injectors and a Ford Cobra 24lb mass air meter. Using unchipped a9l for engine control and stock c3p1 for the transmission wideband by innovate
Vehicle 2 Information: FFR Roadster 408w mas flo Tremec 5speed ,moser axles worked dart heads
Vehicle 3 Information: Craftsman lawn mower 21hp r r r home made ram air

Re: Woo hoo idle !!! Now lean tip in

Unread postby decipha » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:52 pm

if you added 25% fuel and it didnt affect fuel at tip in and otherwise something isnt right
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:07 pm

I added it at the lower half of the y axis . then put it back where it was and its still not right, going to eliminate the changes to lean at1000+1200rpm that is the other change I made and the 1 lower cell in the 800rpm field . see where that gets me .Also datalogger being stupid again reading gear at 32/64/96 so maybe cal edit failed me Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 93 Lightning Wrecked the last one This one stock as far as I can tell except for FRPP (powerdyne) blower kit and Pro-m/dunnerite mass air conversion. Has Banks tc200 trans controller 24lb injectors and a Ford Cobra 24lb mass air meter. Using unchipped a9l for engine control and stock c3p1 for the transmission wideband by innovate
Vehicle 2 Information: FFR Roadster 408w mas flo Tremec 5speed ,moser axles worked dart heads

Unread postby decipha » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:57 pm

yeah caledit's logging leaves a lot to be desired

you should ante up the few bucks and get the complete LHBL0 strategy from sailorbob for BE, BE has a little price tag but the complete def file is only $25 from sailorbob, you won't have anywhere near the issues your having now and the datalogging with derek's def is second to none
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:04 pm

I emailed Derek about something I think it was that for this efi48sd pcm and he said he had nothing to help!
Excuse my cognitive delay but I know so little about this. lhblo would be the strategy to replace my icyo? BE I know is binary editor, will this work with my present tweecer hardware?
So I hit the ve again this time I took the 1000rpm table and changed 2 cells to add 15% more fuel right at the top of the y axis just to see if that make the lean tipin better . Once I get past the first tap of the throttle the af seems close .I'll try tomorrow am on the way to work and see . Off to the sack wore slam out , but that's another can of worms! I got the viewer too . Thanks Bob
ps my 1 year old dynomax failed me had a broken tube or something rattling around in there, got a new one today just to eliminate that as a restriction , part free just labor.Droning now gone again, no driveability gain, dang
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:27 pm

What strategy is icy0 ?

what is your hardware code on your ecu?

can you post a pic of the ecu tag?
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:52 pm

20160310_184351.jpg

The oe lightning computer is long gone icy0 is the strategy I think we have a2z2 and efi-sd48b generic pcm for speed density 351 with e40d . I was instructed to get that one due to lightning ones way hard to get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:03 pm

added pic of label cheers previous post
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:18 pm

If you had to make an adjustment to the light throttle input fuel , it pegs the gage lean and bucks and farts and lays down . I've tried the ve table and keep making it worse .Dead stop try to go it just pegs the gage and lays there until I let up and hit it again then its ok but not good . I tried richening the lowest (top of chart) all the way across that was worse then added fuel to the 800rpm column to all except the top cell . I only adjusted by 5% . Going to read enrichment 101 again Cheers Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:33 pm

imma help you out give me a few to post a tune for you
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby decipha » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:42 pm

here you go, load this in and give it a go

its the ICY1 strategy in caledit

it'll run like complete garbage until it gets into closed loop and starts learning, you should probably clear the kams before loading it in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby decipha » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:50 pm

aww fuck nvm, i just remembered the tweecer wont let you swap strats

oh well, i had good intentions
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:39 pm

I posted a thank you and sent you a pm Michael . I got email that the pm was spam AND I don't see the thank you post either ?
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:54 pm

osso !! may not run right until it learns !!! Had a feeling about that . Made some adjustments ran really bad right away then changed back! Reading between the lines here I may have made the right adjustment , it just didn't learn it yet ?? So now the idle went back to crap , but I can go to the original tune and re fix that , the tip in is really terrible must have learned that last night! But the driving in top gear is almost decent can mash gas and it will creep lean to about 16 thens settle in the 14.7-15.3 range. Going back to original tune , adjust idle cell only and drive a day or two with no other changes and see what happens. May be an abby normal "special needs" pcm seems to take extra long to learn Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:12 pm

I got the email and the PM, welcome its no problem i do what i can to help

You CANNOT use the tune above with a tweecer since your ecu is the wrong strategy, unless you swap to a moates qh or j3 chip you cant use it

thats why I replied back

decipha wrote:aww fuck nvm, i just remembered the tweecer wont let you swap strats

oh well, i had good intentions
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:04 am

Now I got it !! . Thanks . I'm going to try the above changes and not rule them out so fast Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Hey I asked Derek if he thought the lhblo would help me fix this just awaiting a reply ! Now will be and the def file work with my tweecer or do I need a qtr horse . I would like not to buy all new equipment (again) . I read some files I found in search under "bog" but don't know the pids hence the lhblo questions . way too involved for me I think , don't think I have enough beer to do it!!! Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:55 pm

you cant try the above changes cuz you dont have access to everything i modified

lhbl0 is for the icy1 bin, you can use the tune above with it but not the tweecer since the tweecer will not let you swap strategies
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:15 pm

Thanks for the call and further info Michael ! Now this is a real dumb question on the bottom of the tweecer screen .... it says I am using icyo should I switch it to icy1 ??? Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Re: Woo hoo idle !!! Now lean tip in/maybe accidentally fixe

Unread postby decipha » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:49 pm

no you cannot

again, the tweecer will not allow you to switch strategies so you are stuck using the icy0 as long as you are using a tweecer
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:56 pm

it might be fixed !! So here is my guess and Michael thank again . Lean right off the bottom we took .85 out of the idle fuel cells (1st 2 x axis) in the ve. Also richened the 1st 2 cells for the 1k . It seemed to be worse but it did idle way better. yesterday fumbling around I found notes in the tune under the about tab that I left myself. Moons ago I adjusted the decay timers and the bzzrpm? I had written the old values in there so I put them back. Lowered the adaptive ect learn start to 192 from 200 degrees . ( I know that didn't fix it) Went back to the idle cells and added back 5% more fuel (pretty sure that helped) and then added 5degrees to the spark tip in table from 5 To 10 degrees . Hooked up the datalogger and got way stupid readings like I was in gear 125! its a 4speed auto! Anyhow took it for a ride as soon as it started it sounded way better got to the road and woo hoo immediate improvement !! took off banged gears etc , wtf I change none of that . But the trans functions off of load so correct load might? . Also last night I decided to change the tune switch position from 2 to 3 . Maybe faulty connection which would explain sometimes changes not working. Who knows, I let it learn during the work ride this week . Will report findings back . Also any input on the changes I made and what they might have done to fix this ? I'm on the bad switch wire and the tip in spark myself .Opinions appreciated. thanks again bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:00 pm

without being able to log the map scaling from the ve table the only thing you can do is make adjustments to see where they end up
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:38 pm

Yes Michael , I know ! using my butt and afr gage as my datalogger for now. actually making some progress , you fixed the idle . I have the lean tip almost beat . It's way better of the dead stop need to richen the 1250-3000 area but like you said its a guess at this point. Now you're the mathematical genius and self admitted cal con hater get this crap.... ve table 3000 rpm I wanted to richen that whole axis . the first cell was .99609 so I highlight the whole 3k axis , right click and go to" multiply by " and enter 1.20. Its way off so pick a number !! I hit the enter button grab my beer and look back and that same cell and it was .043something. uhh 1.20x.99690 = more than .99690 not less! Less than superior(shitty actually) performance !! As usual you are correct! . I'll find out about the map scaling , I'm sure it's there just have to find out where and what the units are thanks again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:19 am

No answer from the tweecer group on the map scaling yet , I'm going to make a wild ass umption . Considering that the x axis is rpm and it clearly goes higher from left to right ....I'm womdering if I adjusted the right idle cell On the map values y axis the values are larger on the top . So we have larger numbers = higher map (more map at idle) .I'm adjusting at the corner of map+rpm at 800rpm / is this the correct cell or should I go the bottom of Y axis and go up ?
and here is the kicker ... will leaning the idle cell affect the lean tip in ? It's right at the touch of the throttle low tps etc .
Thanks again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:43 am

without knowing the scaling you can only guess, try changing cells one at a time until you find where your at
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:24 pm

I got the data logger working , my bad ! I just looked at the excel file for the log and the map reads 30. something at all times !!!! That is atmospheric for here being 7" above sea level ! Dammit that's bad map #2 .I've got a different one on the other car that runs good going to swap . The failed unit is not a Ford product!! Twice now . I'll post the pdf of the excel file if I can figure it out .Also the formulas are in the excel file maybe I can find the scaling Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:12 pm

how do you know its not logging something other than map?

Is it throwing a map code?
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: idle vs lean tip in findings finally under control!!

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:53 am

Good questions ! I don't know that's half the problem . I'm at the mercy of the machine! The bad map was a cal con issue (again) ! In the interim I have beaten the tune into a much better state
Thanks to Decipha.
Here's what we did. There must be secret tweecer instructions that I cant find so I hope this will help someone else

#1 Believe your wideband gage half of the idle problem was too much fuel other half low map from ... too much fuel. In my app this will aslo fix some of the shifting parameters so the trans might be right, but the map is fouling you you're cooked , even with no code!

2. removing fuel at idle this will not help you unless you know this >>> Michael; said take out fuel so I went to the ve table row 1 column 1 and took out 15%fuel. Did it work , yes but made other things worse..
Evidentally the ve table can be figured out the following way. On your tweecer cal con screen, in the fn1320 display box, there is a little box in the right corner, that is your row number in the ve table, the other axis in the table is rpm.So basically ignore the fn1320 reading and use the little numbers in the box
Example Get the car to idle in drive preferably as close to your desired rpm as you can. Datalog for 10 min or so , Go to the datalogger and see which of the Rows the car idles in . Follow over to that rpm in the table and make your adjustment.

1000 rpm in the datalog . af on wideband and tweecer log= 12.5:1 *** calcon says in the row function 3.14 , rounded it's row 3 at 1000rpm .So go to row 3 under 1000rpm and adjust your fuel down 15%; or do the math in the fueling write up . My numbers here are NOT exact

Now the lean tip in
Believe the wideband gage ! I was hitting the gas and pegging the gage gage at 17-18afr .I had no idea where to look ,spark and 6000 other tables and graphs ! So looking at the same parameters above row number+rpm +afr in the logs what I found is that the corresponding cells in the table were way lean between 1250 to 2000 , so that was about rows 7 and 8 at those specific rpms so I made 20% adjustments and away we go..

I made some changes in rows 1 and two which left me with no starts. So that I'm guessing is startup fuel .At one point I had it starting right off 1/4 turn of the engine , so now that needs more fiddling.

I also added 5 degrees of tip in spark
I'm basically following this procedure until I get all the fuel out of 15.8 and leaner area then I can work on driving the af down to normal without fear of melting!!
Great info at this site I continue to learn more about this daily ! the amount of help is tremendous (thanks Michael).
Cheers and thanks Bongo Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:01 am

cool, if you were able to log the map scaling it would make it pretty easy
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:37 am

I fixed the post it was the fn1320 box not the map box. Tweecer definitions are different can you offer up a laymans definition of map scaling? is it something like fuel per inches of map or something ?? thanks
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:16 pm

scaling functions are the values that make up the axis of tables, for example, spark is load on the y axis and rpm on the x axis

your ve table has rpm on the x axis and map on the y axis

I was simply stating if you were able to log the y axis youd know exacrly where your at for any given condition
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby sailorbob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:26 pm

The Y axis of the "Volumetric Efficiency Table" (aka FN1320) is typically the "MAP Over Exhaust Pressure" (aka MAPOPE) value in the speed density strategies of this era.
sailorbob
Tuning Extraordinaire

Unread postby decipha » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:16 pm

there u go, if u can log it then youd know exactly where your at in the table
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:11 am

outstanding I have seen that , mapope now to find it again Thanks Bob , uhh fn021 mapope lets go to the graph I'll be back in a week when I figure out, less I hope! Back in < than 15minutes a new record ! I can graph map and bap separately however I'm confused as to what to do and what it means . If it were broken running rough and blowing black smoke I would suspect map 1st , but to tune with it im lost Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Return to Speed Density Tuning