fuel dial in

S/D specific subforum for the Gen-1 Lightnings,
88- Tbird/Stang/Lincoln/Mercury, RV's, and Trucks.

fuel dial in

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 am

So I have a base tune that came with the tweecer and I'm having idle issues, Rich! I read fuel 101 but it appears to be all maf. Idle is almost ok some rolling and way rich. Likes to stall at lights . Present tune is about the best its been . I'm guessing if I cealn up the idle fuel the other issue will go way .I don't have much of a fast idle , but it does not stall cold . Is there a sd fuel 101?? I did see the chart for the gen 2 lightnings injector settings . I have those injectors . Where to start and what to read. I am assuming the tunes that came with the tweecer have not been corrupted by me . I have both icy1 and icy0 strategy listed on the tunes. Driving is now good shifting is good just need to tweec 4th lockup as you said ..Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 93 Lightning Wrecked the last one This one stock as far as I can tell except for FRPP (powerdyne) blower kit and Pro-m/dunnerite mass air conversion. Has Banks tc200 trans controller 24lb injectors and a Ford Cobra 24lb mass air meter. Using unchipped a9l for engine control and stock c3p1 for the transmission wideband by innovate
Vehicle 2 Information: FFR Roadster 408w mas flo Tremec 5speed ,moser axles worked dart heads
Vehicle 3 Information: Craftsman lawn mower 21hp r r r home made ram air

Re: fuel dial in

Unread postby decipha » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:14 pm

its sounds like you need to check your idle air, make sure your iscdc is 25% or less at idle

if its rich you need to lean it out, go in the VE table and reduce the cells where its rich at
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:04 pm

will start there Thanks, found the ve table but cant find the iscdc anywhere . is that isc duty cycle ? . Also am I checking the settings in the tune or watching it live Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 93 Lightning Wrecked the last one This one stock as far as I can tell except for FRPP (powerdyne) blower kit and Pro-m/dunnerite mass air conversion. Has Banks tc200 trans controller 24lb injectors and a Ford Cobra 24lb mass air meter. Using unchipped a9l for engine control and stock c3p1 for the transmission wideband by innovate
Vehicle 2 Information: FFR Roadster 408w mas flo Tremec 5speed ,moser axles worked dart heads

Unread postby decipha » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:06 pm

yea isc duty cycle you have to log it to see where its at when warmed up
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:49 am

ok found them there are 2 * the cycle adder is set at 0 and the duty cycle multiplier is at 1 . Will log and report back .Thanks Bob
okay here we go drove a bit and here it is ect 184f iscdc.500 rpm =800
other related info

advance 9.250/ hego , only 1 used .8075/kmrf1 1.0/lambse1 12.532 /tps .8 closed/fuel pw 4.5/pw%2.997/map 26.1/ fn 1320 top #65.78 and lower 815

hego is in stock location for 5.8 trucks in the little pipe that connects the y together . the wide band is down stream about 1 foot .I updated sig line with exhaust changes

I just read the idle air 101 is there a similar doc for sd ?

thanks again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby YaBoyHalle » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:34 pm

idle air 101 should cover it the same SD only differs in that you use the VE table (rpm vs vac.) instead of MAF.

26 vacuum is a bit high for idle, isn't it? i'd check for vacuum leaks. a big one.
YaBoyHalle
A+ Contributor

Name: halle
Vehicle Information: 1993 2.3 LX
~97 hp
Vehicle 2 Information: 1987 Bronco 5.0
~0 hp
it'll run in a weekend or two..

Unread postby BongoBob » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:20 am

agreed high vacuum I did a smoke test and I have no leaks except 2 at the throttle shafts on the tb. I will smoke the brake booster shortly and be sure the pcv's are seated and working and re smoke from a different point. I was using the hose pulled off the brake booster and installing smoke from there . This time I will uncap the non existing canp and put smoke in that way and see what happens,What was the idle speed at that vacuum reading ??ok so this si dumb would you consider an open breather a big vacuum leaK??? I MAY HAVE SENT YOU AN TUNE WHEN I HAD A VACUUM LEAK Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby YaBoyHalle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:27 pm

yeah, an open breather is a big leak. you should have a hose from the oil fill tube to before the throttle body, and then the pvc one from the lower intake in the back to the upper plenum. it's much better to have the PCV working properly, it increases efficiency, mileage, power.

the throttle shafts probably aren't helping either.
YaBoyHalle
A+ Contributor

Name: halle
Vehicle Information: 1993 2.3 LX
~97 hp
Vehicle 2 Information: 1987 Bronco 5.0
~0 hp
it'll run in a weekend or two..

Unread postby BongoBob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:07 am

okay then! I'll get a closed breather and uncap the connection at the tb and run it to the breather! thanx Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:02 pm

ok hers is the deal I'm close just don't know where to adjust at. Fuel cold is rich until warmup and isc duty cycle is .754 ish .The fuel is in the 11:1 range or less right after the decay timer quits .Before, right at start up its at 15:1 then way down in the high tens or 11 ish. I don't have a clue where to adjust the fuel out or the isc down . Could I have adjusted the stop screw to far in ? is there a fuel vs ect table or pid I need to adjust , and which way. any input on the isc would be good . Thanks AGAIN bOB
PS TPS IS.980
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:32 pm

tps is absolutely useless, if your iscdc is 75% when warm then your throttle stop needs to be opened significantly

cold startup e richment fuel comes from the lambse subtractor table, its in the enrichment write up on the homepage

http://info.efidynotuning.com/startup.htm
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby NxCoupe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:14 pm

BongoBob wrote:agreed high vacuum I did a smoke test and I have no leaks except 2 at the throttle shafts on the tb. I will smoke the brake booster shortly and be sure the pcv's are seated and working and re smoke from a different point. I was using the hose pulled off the brake booster and installing smoke from there . This time I will uncap the non existing canp and put smoke in that way and see what happens,What was the idle speed at that vacuum reading ??ok so this si dumb would you consider an open breather a big vacuum leaK??? I MAY HAVE SENT YOU AN TUNE WHEN I HAD A VACUUM LEAK Thanks Bob

High vacuum is not indicative of a vacuum leak, low vacuum is. Quite the opposite. High vacuum could be that something is reading incorrectly somewhere, low vacuum means there is a leak somewhere. Look at it this way, if you disconnect the map sensor, it does not read 30 inches of vacuum, it reads 0 or atmosphere. High vacuum has other causes, but a vacuum leak is not one of them.
NxCoupe
General Poster

Name: Michael
Vehicle Information: 2012 5.0 6 spd, on E85, offroad pipe, GT500 mufflers, just started tuning process, gained 40 rwhp over stock so far.
Black with black interior, base model, built shortblock.
SCT Xcal4, using Advantage to tune it.
Vehicle 2 Information: 1992 Mustang Coupe, coyote 5.0, turbo, 5 spd, race car build in progress. Used to run in NMRA Real Street, now building it for NMRA Coyote Modified
Vehicle 3 Information: 1993 Calypso Mustang Coupe, 5.0 no options, strip down coupe. Only has auto and cruise, didn't even come with a radio, lol. Future plans are to put a Windsor with an On3 turbo kit and an AOD with a brake.
Additional Vehicles: 1993 2.3L 5 spd Mustang coupe, future turbo 2.5 build.
Moates chip, BE tuned
GSS340 pump
Spec Stg 3 clutch
V8 T5 with custom input shaft, billet shifter
8.8 rear end with 3.55 gear, 4 wheel disk
V8 front spindles and brakes,
V8 sway bars front and rear
CC plates
FRPP cockpit adjustable shocks and struts. Soft to race with the flip of a switch!
Have 57mm turbo, Stinger header, ebay blow off and waste gate purchased so far.

Unread postby BongoBob » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:48 pm

enrichment on it as soon as I get home .I'll log isdc on the way home thanks !!! tons!! finally a place to start thank you Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Re: fuel dial in/isdc

Unread postby BongoBob » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:23 pm

ok so I logged the ride home and I was watching the isdc it is mostly in the .6-.7 range driving down the road steady speed'. Hot idle wants to steady about .555 and into the high .48 range , Butt when it gets to there after a few seconds it deteriorates toward zero quickly and will stall at about .12 . Is this an indication that the valve or windings it in are bad ? Or is this an isc tuning issue I saw several adjustments for isdc
isc duty cycle adder 0.00
isc multiplier 1
the others are timers
and the idle speed is high until I actually stop then it will slow and stall
off to read the recommended enrichment write up 3 or 4 times until it sinks in . Thanks very much Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:57 pm

of your iscdty is at 12% at a warm stable idle then its perfect

The iscdty will raise and decay with throttle thats dashpot

you can only verify the set screw is correct when the engine is at a stable warm idle
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:34 pm

I sent you a request via email ,Thank you very much . On the tweecer the point of stall was .125 . It'll idle at .555 the creep down and stall about .125
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:15 pm

I dont understand what your saying
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby decipha » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:34 pm

In any case, if the iscdty drops out and the engine stalls that means your throttle stop is not set correctly

do a base idle reset and all your problems should go away

http://info.efidynotuning.com/idleair101.htm#baseidle
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks !! I'll reset again .For some reason it is very touchy 1/8 turn will take it from to fast an idle to stall . It's a bbk/edelbrock 75mm . I'll try harder !!! I can't thank you enough for the help Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Re: fuel dial in/air dial in ?

Unread postby BongoBob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Ok I re did the idle air adjust , per the write up only the red written in red. I must have another problem . It' will idle at about 1000 with the iac/tps/spout all disconnected , then stall ?? I did not log this . butt tomorrow I will reload the tune and the update from December which made it better . Then I had some false cal con readings , then I adjusted the fuel regulator down and it got worse , but the adjuster was frozen up and it was ancient so I got a Ford one stuck it on there and never checked the pressure. Made no difference anyway.
So the ongoing problem is the idle surge and stalling , I reset the screw no difference , even after 20 miles ride. Now it wont even idle in park. Fuel on wb02 15:1 cold start before I started anything , also ongoing is watching the af go down from there as it warms up it'll get down to the 10:1 area , even driving its there. until fully warm then driving is good 14.7-15.3 , slow to idle and back down low again and stall . Then I have to open the throttle with the gas pedal to start it. I even pulled the hose off the brake booster to give a vac leak to lean it no difference on gage . So after the fuel pressure check if ok , and another smoke test if ok, tomorrow I'm down to an internal vacuum leak or ....???? Thanks very much . I have posted a tune review and some logfiles in the tune review section . The lambse and the AF look perfect when graphed except at idle. If I can provide any more helpul info let me know. Please reply in tweecer language too many terms between tuning devices . Thanks again
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:48 pm

if it stalls with the tps iac and spout unplugged you have some mechanical issues
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:35 am

Hey Guys , and thank you Michael !!
All test is equipment is at the shop , I'm off to work in about 15min. I have web access and a smart phone for email. Here is the starting point.
New does not always = good . Test fuel pressure for 40psi
retest for vacuum leaks with smoke test
try testing for vac leak with propane , haven't done that yet
verify comp cam did not eat distributor gear again .
and all the dum stuff , firing order timing etc
verify fuel pressure holds (leakdown like stuck injector)
I have already checked the valve setting for zero lash+

Please if you have any other things to check , short of engine dismembering give me a shout bbbongo69@gmail.com will need to drive it home !

yes it has oil in it ,. clean so I'm pretty sure it's not seizing momentarily! fuel fresh weekly, filter newish I think it's drowning in fuel it will only stall when the afr goes into the 10,s
Thanks very very much for helping me with this Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:28 pm

No luck today work busy and had a job interview at lunch, However I brought stuff home to test. Plus I have hopefully useful info : all the time when it stalls the air filter starts to whistle for a second then it stalls .I swear there is something somewhere that allows the idle to stay at 12-1300 idling down the driveway when I step on the brake to slow for the carport the idle will go down and the whistle and then the stall. Correct me if I'm wrong cold start high idle 13-1400 for a few sec the lower to 11-1200 for a few and then normal idle . I have none of this happening. Also noticed yesterday low idle vacuum , I think caused by the mixture being rich as I opened the screw for more speed , about 1100 I got great vacuum and a leaner mix, I'm lost here ect reads right , can a tune get corrupted if you have some funky readings on cal con like I had ? I will start the above list tomorrow any input on a starting point other than what I posted please shoot me a message. Could this just be a bad iac? Thanks tons ...again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:59 pm

iac's whistle when they are going bad
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:41 am

ok I'm on it ! got fuel pressure tester , propane for leak test, fire extinguisher ,there is a spare working iac on the other car ,dvom, snap on scanners ,the efi bible etc . I'm out the door now.

really really dumb question the idle air write says "drop In gear" and the write up "for info only below this line refers to neutral idle air" I'm supposed to know this but read too many articles the past week .Once warmed up to set temp to adjust stop I should be in drive ? or neutral??
BongoBob
General Poster

Re: fuel dial in vs new parts

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:58 am

and we have a loser!!! Motorcraft regulator = 49psi at idle with the hose on ! read 3 posts up I broke my own dang rule , and I know way better . I'll rebuild the kirban and set it correctly then****** test it****then I will report back NEW DOES NOT MEAN GOOD .. Michael you are the mathematician of the bunch
10psix42psi injectorsx8= how much extra uncontrollable fuel???? good thing its cheap ! thanks for listening to my whining ! My work brain is working today as opposed to the party brain which usually pops right in at 531pm Friday . I'm not saying it will be fixed but I am saying the fuel pressure will be correct. please answer the drive/neutral air question above. thanks bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:28 am

off the top of my head about ~17 lbs

for an auto i usually recommend setting the neutral idle then drop it in gear and kick up the drive multiplier to compensate, the older ecu's dont differentiate between the two which sucks so you'd have to set it in drive if you only have 1 isc multiplier table
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Thank you ! I think I saw several multipliers . I will check while waiting for regulator parts . I tried all the positions on the tweecer knob to see if anything was better and I caused a problem. Startup ok 1/2 mile down the road fuel went to 10:1 and it would not rev up in drive , but would in neutral . I turned the key of and restarted while moving . That fixed that. Any thoughts on that ? I'm at a loss. I have replaced both the pcm and fuel pump relays. I will scan for codes , but probably created some when testing. thanks again ! Regulator parts should be here in a few days. Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:55 pm

it sounds like you got some funky stuff in your tune

caledit was known for corrupting stuff thats why hardly anyone uses it these days
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:16 pm

there is a copy of my tune in ccf format in the tune review section. Maybe you could look . I could but I wouldn't know if it was no good. Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:26 pm

"Don't you believe it " quote from an old cartoon ! because I don't believe it . The no part "rebuild " on the old Kirban actually works and it aint no worse! Don't worry I'm waiting on the new one from Ford tomorrow. Made it home , had some joy with the power and no stall idle is 1100 in drive. Swap parts , test pressure and see. I appreciate the help, Michael you been a big help .thank you , be in with touch with an update and maybe even a fix . This drive multiplier , in my tweecer what would it be called and I hate to ask which way is up ?? I mean higher idle . Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:50 pm

the isc multiplier table is covered in the enrichment write up it has the PID numbers
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:03 pm

wow ! an actual working regulator! I guess the last one was a reboxed defect. this one had All the install parts ! Plus there was some confusion about the seal/o ring. The 1st regulator came with a rubber seal to cover both bottom ports and 2 orings . This one had 3 o rings , 2 round and 1 flat sided . the flat one did not fit on the return port of the regulator .
Short version Motorcraft pics show no gasket , napa website shows their regulator with a gasket. All data instructions vague , evidentally when you remove the reg there is a recess for this round flat o ring in the return side of the fuel rail.
Had the batt disconnected , and took 1/4 turn from stop screw. Idle now leaner and still too high, but no more surge.
Going to do a few drive cycles then idle 101 again . Tip in shows way lean on light acceleration 16 to pegged gage. Will drive some , reset and report back.
Thanks again for the help. Very much appreciated Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:14 am

Ok back at it today after some stressful work weeks. I've got the new fomoco regulator on pressure is correct . I've driven it as is for several weeks with only backing out the idle stop 1/4 turn with no resets or other adjustments . Got the idle down to about 1100rpm in drive but way high in neutral/park. and very minor surging and the other symptoms have gotten worse see above post. going to warm it up and follow the above instructions and see where I'm at . idle 101 and isc enrichment will report back sorry for the lost time between posts it's been crazy Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:32 pm

. at a loss here. going to swap iac for a known good one now if the tools are here thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Greetings ! I failed the iac swap had no tools and ran out of weekend . either way here's the report . Idle now 900 and surging+ stalling again too rich at idle again about 12.7 to 1 . You suggested the "isc drive multiplier" be adjusted . I'm guessing this is going to supply more air at idle in drive without increasing idle speed? Got a minute to explain what it does and what it will affect if anything else . Pretty sure my guess is wrong. Maybe you could point me to a book on speed density for beginning tuners ? Also about 3k it will run the afr right off the lean side of the gauge at part throttle . I did not use the scanner for codes yet because of the idle set procedure . Also would a short datalog help ?? thanks again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 pm

first you gotta get that fuel dialed in before you can dial in the idle

go to your idle cell in your VE table and multiply it by .85 thatll lean it out
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:16 am

got it thanks for the help ! Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Re: fuel dial in/edited

Unread postby BongoBob » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:55 pm

ok I've got 2 different tables:
ve
and ve torque .
Should I adjust both ?
They start at 800rpm which should be idle or close

I have found in the tweecer table that it will do the calculations by cell or by range, so, I"ll highlight the 800rpm in the y axis select multiply range by .85. Then verify the changes took to the tweecer
Cam grinder says I should have an 800rpm idle
I'll try this Sat am and check back here before I start

Thanks a ton for the help Bob and sorry for the confusion
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:02 pm

wtf?

I have no idea what you just posted
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett