Newbie requesting shopping list

S/D specific subforum for the Gen-1 Lightnings,
88- Tbird/Stang/Lincoln/Mercury, RV's, and Trucks.

Newbie requesting shopping list

Unread postby Wirenut8 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:28 am

Good Morning All,

I hope this is not an annoying repeat. I did do a search, but my limited member clearance didn't allow me to read all topics. I am new to custom EFI tuning (was a die hard carb guy). Although I have years of experience as a driveability tech at Lincoln/Mercury dealerships (1996-2003), I never ventured into more than PID reading and diagnosis. All my toys were old and carbed. Now I have a new project and I would like to stay EFI but I realize that I am way behind and want good advice before spending money. (hate buying things to fix bad decisions).

Anyway, I have a 93 Bronco with a 94 Roller 5.8 in it (E4OD). The current setup is stock bottom end (fresh), was told its a Crane cam "just over stock" with 1.7 rockers. It has the Edelbrock Truck Performer upper and lower, BBK twin 58 TB, shorty headers and cat-less exhaust. I plan to swap my AFR 185 heads with 1.6 rockers, upgrading the injectors (research leads me to think 30 lb would be ideal as I may up the performance later). I am not in a smog testing area and this will be a sand dune toy.

I have contacted both Motes and Tweecer with conflicting recommendations. The interweb makes it seem that MAF conversion is the only way, but at this performance level, a custom tune would also be needed. I don't really have the time to self teach myself how to do a tune from scratch. I would buy a tune (if there is one that would fit my setup), and try to tinker from there. If anyone has gone through all of the growing pains and can steer me to the best way to make it run strong, not lean out and/or detonate my pistons to death and not spend a million dollars ( have to fight the urge to put carb on it and C6 conversion). I would love any advice!! Thank you!!
Wirenut8
General Poster

Name: Mark Baliff
Vehicle Information: 93 Ford Bronco 94 Roller 5.8, AFR 185 heads, Edelbrock Upper and Lower, Twin 58 TB, Shorty Headers E4OD. Currently SD, probably converting to MAF with Way 1 (EFI Tuning Newbie, but experience with EFI driveability)

Re: Newbie requesting shopping list

Unread postby Wirenut8 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 am

By the way, it currently has the A2Z2 strategy in it now.
Wirenut8
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 93 Ford Bronco 94 Roller 5.8, AFR 185 heads, Edelbrock Upper and Lower, Twin 58 TB, Shorty Headers E4OD. Currently SD, probably converting to MAF with Way 1 (EFI Tuning Newbie, but experience with EFI driveability)

Unread postby decipha » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 pm

grab the efi-sd4x xdf and tune file off the homepage, give it a go, u will need a moates quarterhorse
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer

Unread postby Wirenut8 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:38 am

Thank you for the quick reply!! Two quick questions. With the QH, are there other parts needed for downloading or are those for advanced features? Also, the tune says "60lb. injectors" is that the recommended injectors for my setup? Again thanks!!!
Wirenut8
General Poster

Unread postby Wirenut8 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:39 pm

I found the answer to one of my questions. Thanks EFITuning.com. I wasn't sure when I needed the Jaybird chip and attachment. Do you recommend the TunerPro RT over BE?
Wirenut8
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 pm

i dont know what u mean by downloding but u can read the stock tune which is useless and wont do u any good

once u remove the qh the tune comes out with it since the qh serves the tune to the ecu

u mean efidynotuning.com ?

i use tunerpro, its no doubt more powerful and its free
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer

Unread postby Wirenut8 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:30 am

Yes, sorry about the typo. I did more reading on this website and found some of my answers. I was confused about how the strategy and tune was "loaded". I was under the impression it was a re-flash. I got it now. This works more like the tool (Canape') I use at work sometimes. Thanks!!
Wirenut8
General Poster

Unread postby dleach1407 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:32 am

Wirenut8 wrote:Do you recommend the TunerPro RT over BE?

TunerPro vs BE is a personal choice.. I prefer BE and I know others do too.. Either work. I still cant figure out how to interpolate using TunerPro
dleach1407
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 1995 Mustang T5 CBAZA/T4M2 Moates QH

Unread postby motorhead1991 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Either program works, and they each have their own advantages.

TPRT:
- multiple tables in a single window
- strategy editor built in
- datalog dash shares the tuning window

BE
- constantly updated
- MAF fitting tool (kinda works)
- Data tracing on functions
- built in interpolation button
- user defined PIDs (for logging external data streams)
motorhead1991

Name: Anthony Cox
Vehicle Information: 1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.
Vehicle 2 Information: Stock 1990 Ranger. ICM relocation

Unread postby Wirenut8 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks for the info!! Gotta get the head swap first.
Wirenut8
General Poster

Return to Speed Density Tuning