cvaf1 strategy questions

Covers v8 mustangs in 99-early 01 years. Can be configured for V6 easily and cobras as well as trucks and other fords if hardware is compatible.
mechanicalmatch
Vehicle Information: 00 F150 4.6L Extended cab
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

cvaf1 strategy questions

Unread post by mechanicalmatch »

I am running CVAF1 on 2000 F150 4.6L for a little over a year. I have been learning about tuning principles , tunerpro and the quarterhorse on my mostly stock truck. I have not been able to calibrate the speedometer. I have changed the axle ratio and the tire revs to the correct setting everywhere that I could find anything that mentions tire revs or axle ratio. I have even exaggerated the tire size numbers very low and very high to see if it makes a difference and it does not. It is off by about 15%. What am I overlooking?

Another issue I am having a hard time understanding is the OBDII_MIL_SW and OBDII_TEST_SW number settings. Can you elaborate on what the different numbers would do? It says in the notes to set OBDII_MIL_SW to the same as OBDII_TEST_SW. In order to pass inspection, I set the MIL_SW to 247 and Test_SW to 0 in the past to get the monitors to show complete. That seems to work at random and when clear codes and reset the monitors, all that goes away and I have to try it again. I am looking to understand this better so I can apply a more permanent solution.

thanks
Matt
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: cvaf1 strategy questions

Unread post by decipha »

did you disable the nov_vid_sw ?

look at the obdii_tst_sw there's 8 flags there. Each one you set or unset will change the value of obdii_tst_sw.
mechanicalmatch
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

I did not change that switch. I guess what I was trying thinking I could do was to be able to maintain the vid block and how it normally functions. I will give that a go.

When I turn the flags on and off, the individual monitor for that switch will either appear or disappear depending on what I have the number of obdii tst sw set to. I also am not seeing anything happening when I apply the p1000 patch per your notes. Maybe I am expecting something it is not going to do. What I am expecting is all the monitors show complete and p1000 will not be present anymore because of this, or is it more or less just a switch for the code and nothing else?
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

qh doesn't serve that part of memory so if you want to maintain the vid block you have to write the tire and gear size to the vid block and flash the ecu

otherwise disable the switch and set the calibration tire rev and axle ratio to what you have

yep thats what its supposed to do. No, the p1000 patch lets p1000 pass and does nothing else.
mechanicalmatch
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

Ok, that is what I suspected about the VID block.

I drove around for about about 2 hours this evening trying to calibrate the speedometer again. I tried VID Block Enabled patch patched and not patched while adjusting TIRE_REVE/ REV_MILE up and down drastically and there was no change . I thought maybe tire rev min and max might be limiting , but no change. I set no_vid_sw to "0". No change. Am I misunderstanding something or is there a problem with the strategy in this application?
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

vid block enabled patch should always be set that has nothing to do with the speedo though

You must be doing something wrong. Are you updating and verifying its successful after each change?
mechanicalmatch
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

it is beeping and i cant remember if it gives me a confirmation message at the bottom. I also adjusted up my idle a bit last night by about 50 rpms so I know i am getting them in to the qh.

you said qh doesnt serve the vid block so i have another idea i am going to try. I dont have IDS here at the house so rather than waiting till monday I re- licensed forscan and am gonna try to make the changes to VID block with that. I use forscan alot at work when my laptop with ids is tied up and have used it for its diagnostic functions, but never used it for programming. I do believe i will be able to change VID block stuff with it.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

no it wont
mechanicalmatch
CVAF1
4R70 3.08

Yea I see that now. I was wanting to purchase a license as my way of showing support to the author anyway. It's always good to have tools in the toolbox.

Is there difference between qh emulation making changes real time vs not enabling emulation and making a full write to the qh as far as some parameters staying? Maybe this is something that needs a key cycle? I noticed some wierd behavior from fuel pump hz (sorry can't remember the exact name of pid) but if when I change to 300 in real time the relay buzzes at 300 hrz. After I do a key cycle, it operates as it should and does not buzz anymore. When I set it to anything other frequency, I still get a buzz from it oscillating at whatever hertz I have it set at. Maybe I need to change the tire rev and write to rather than trying a real time deal.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

yep i hear ya

no the only time emulation won't change things is if you make changes to more than 10 things at once and try to update such as multiplying the entire maf or changing too many cells at once, otherwise change and update all day long no problem.

i've updated the tire rev in realtime with no problems before. accidentally put the wrong value in once and caused a huge downshift too.