high tps code

Vehicle specific forum for tuning the Foxbody Chassis Mustangs utilizing the LUX0, GUFA, GUFB, and GUF1 Strategy

high tps code

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun May 21, 2017 7:27 am

Greetings all ! I have not been here in a while and this my not be in the right section . This is a 93 F150 Lightning with pro m /dunne Right mass air conversion . I use an a9l for engine control and the truck pcm .
I didn't see a truck or special app tab to post this . please move if you have to move this post feel free

here's the deal typical F150 Lightning had code for high tps , bad wiring to the tps repaired all 3 wires set voltage rechecked at connector , perfect check all the way to pcm perfect. Start up mil on code 23 low tps.The test for this code says ohm wires if not to spec replace pcm. Ohms good replaced pcm .
code for high tps???
I had a hard shifting trans , harder than the normal lightning and no lockup for the converter. which started the investigation . I also had stinky rich stalling etc . I epoxied the huge hole drilled in the tb plate and removed idle air adjuster plate which was 1/2 open . Applied efi "idle 101" to fix that.!

Still have the code for the tps and codes for the disconnected items egr, purge and tab tad evr etc . No trans codes truck runs and drives great except the no lock up. I have 24 lb injectors and a 2004 Cobra air meter
Grateful for any help with this eating up the little spare time I have . thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 93 Lightning Wrecked the last one This one stock as far as I can tell except for FRPP (powerdyne) blower kit and Pro-m/dunnerite mass air conversion. Has Banks tc200 trans controller 24lb injectors and a Ford Cobra 24lb mass air meter. Using unchipped a9l for engine control and stock c3p1 for the transmission wideband by innovate
Vehicle 2 Information: FFR Roadster 408w mas flo Tremec 5speed ,moser axles worked dart heads
Vehicle 3 Information: Craftsman lawn mower 21hp r r r home made ram air

Re: high tps code

Unread postby decipha » Sun May 21, 2017 7:43 am

welcome back, yep this is the right place

ill never understand why dummied drill the tb blade and put idle air bypasses on it when the throttle stop is there for that exact purpose, it just completely blows me away

if the trans controller nor the ecu is seeing the tps its most likely a wiring issue if the tps itself checks out

i would disconnect the trans controller and see if the ecu sees it, if not check the ect and act sensors as those are linked
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun May 21, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks Michael ! The hole in the TB was like 1/4" !! There is an easy bypass for the trans controller , I'll try that, Banks says it has nothing to do with the tps, but if the trans shifts off the map and the tps that makes no sense!
Ect and act both ohm and voltage tests ?
I think all of the sensors are new I know I tried 4 tps because they were here all read the same at the connector butt..... I learned from last time you have to use new Ford stuff
Thank you again Bob
will post findings
BongoBob
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 93 Lightning Wrecked the last one This one stock as far as I can tell except for FRPP (powerdyne) blower kit and Pro-m/dunnerite mass air conversion. Has Banks tc200 trans controller 24lb injectors and a Ford Cobra 24lb mass air meter. Using unchipped a9l for engine control and stock c3p1 for the transmission wideband by innovate
Vehicle 2 Information: FFR Roadster 408w mas flo Tremec 5speed ,moser axles worked dart heads

Unread postby decipha » Sun May 21, 2017 8:55 am

plug a qh in it and read the ect, act, and tps, thats the only way to diagnose it is to see what the ecu is seeing
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun May 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Don't have a qh , sold my tweecer rt because I was not smart enough to operate. Is the Qh easier to operate? Any how test 1 ect resistance test is "ol" on fluke o meter . "ol" = doa try a new one tomorrow . Thanks again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun May 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Michael , what would be required to get a qh to work . I;m guessing if I buy the qh it wont do anything without software correct . Trying to avoid me doing the tuning , my skills is that area are "less than superior" Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby SlowBox » Sun May 21, 2017 4:39 pm

TunerPro RT is free in the downloads section and is all you need beyond the chip itself. Noob questions are always welcome on the forum.
SlowBox
Advanced Tuner

Name: Troy G
Vehicle Information: 1989 Mustang GT
5 speed, 3.73
GT-40P heads
Alex's Parts springs
10:1
FMS B303
GT-40 upper and lower
65mm TB
80mm Mk8 MAF
Decapped injectors
E85
Motorsport shorties
A9L/A9L2/GUFB
TunerPro v5
Moates QH v1.6

Unread postby BongoBob » Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 am

Where is the downloads section ?? Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Mon May 22, 2017 1:00 pm

on the homepage

www.efidynotuning.com
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun May 28, 2017 6:20 am

Please note new profile for the truck !!! downloaded and looked at tuner rt . I did not see a file for the c3p1 stock computer. The file for the a9l is there. With the qh are there instructions on how connect my wideband , I have a dataq unit from my old tweecer setup if that is useable. . I'm going to be looking for the easiest way to datalog to fix the tps high code 23 . I am in no way a tuner . Once I fix this issue and drive it a while .I am going to put the real motor from the wreck in and get a real tune from decipha. I opened the rt program but did not read all the instructions yet See previous posts for what I have already fixed or checked. Going to disconnect the trans controller today and install fuel pressure gage , again! Last one the transducer failed in 3 weeks I was almost a carbomb Nice!! As always help is greatly appreciated Enjoy the holiday weekend and support our troops Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:02 pm

ok here's is an update . the ect was changed and did nothing .I will be checking the act and bypassing the trans controller this weekend. Todays question I check tps voltage at the connector was at .86 checked it at the mass air ecm and it was .76 . I upped the voltage at the tps to .97 then drove home , no difference. Did not recheck voltage at ecm was tired and hungry. Any thoughts on why the voltage might be lower at the ecm? Don't Forget using dunne rite mass air conversion so the ecm in question is an a9l with a j3 chip. Thanks again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:00 pm

there is no open source file for that strategy as no one has needed it yet

if its getting lower voltage at the ecu then at the tps sensor that means you have high resistance in the line, as long as it reads the full sweep + 3.6 relative volts when the tps is opened to WOT its fine though no problem
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Uhh sorry open source strategy . Lost me there. . Pretty much from what I understand The a9l computer would need to be chip tuned for the 351 and supercharger just like in a mustang . The truck ecu controls only the trans. So I "jumped out " the trans controller via banks instructions and guess what no difference at all shifts the same and still no lockup ! The tps is putting the mil on and usually this will inhibit lockup Code is 63 . Pulled some info from all data will get to that shortly . My chip is junk it did raise the idle and stop the stalling , but it was not done right . I have a rom failure due to mismatch one of those tweecer parameters I have forgotten ahh checksum probably incorrect. Last on the list is the act tomorrow I'll get professional help I hope to test this and figure out why the lockup converter is inop. Thanks again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:16 pm

u didnt see the file because its a pay for def

checksum cannot be correct on a tweecer cuz it doesnt serve the full tune

make sure the tps is getting both 5v refernces and grounds from both ecus

I dont understand what your doing, u have the a9l ecu controlling the engine correct? then u have a banks trans controller controlling the trans? then u have an old stock sd ecu hooked to the trans too?

i dont follow

why not just use 1 ecu for everything?
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:46 am

the checksum is adjustable on the twecer I think the setting was 0 .
Your diag is correct 1 a9l for engine control , 1 stock c3p1 for trans control.
Then this banks box which they say adjusts trans pressure via epc by sensing load . Buuutt it's not hooked to any load sensing device on the truck!! Probably needs to go.I have to look closer at the connector pinout you change out 3 wires in the connector I don't know what they are yet

. This mass air conversion marries the ecu's together and adds mass air and converts the bank fire to sequential efi

I tried the one ecu thing on the last truck speed density with a tweecer . I could not tune it , but that's not my strong point.
I used a a2z2 computer sd48 351 w40d was a nightmare .either way I I wrecked the truck and sold the tweecer,
How would you do it with one ecm And can you send me one. Thanks again Bob
I had signal and 5v reference at all points I'll go check the tps grounds I had it at the tps connector and the forgot about it ,
The idle and driveability are great sans the no lockup
Thanks Thanks thanks thank you Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:31 pm

holy shit your running 24lb injectors on a boosted application??? 24s will only support 245rwhp with boost

all you need is one ecu from a 96 truck that supports the e4od and mass air
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:50 pm

Michael it's not my fault , it came that way , to ease your mind there is an fmu and an extra fuel pump on the frame rail. I've been easy on it because I know the fuel is not right this powerdyne blower is rated at 5-6 psi .I've seen 2.5 psi . I have a set of 42 lb lightning injectors (green) and a matching pro-m air meter. I also have a mass air conversion harness from a Mustang which I assume I will need . since there are no additional provisions in the factory harness for this. Ok your advice is top notch I'm going to order the computer remove all the extra pro m wiring etc . Sounds like you will need to send me a chip and probably a qh . I like that idea less wires = less problems. Let me know what else I need and provide instructions in the box with the parts . Hit me on my private email bbbongo69@gmail. Really looking forward to being done ! I will a chip that can be programmed for current combo and then adjusted to accommodate the 396w . After I fix the tps issue. I can buy the needed parts before I fix the tps I think it may be in that prom harness. get me asap. Have beer sales goes easier that way. Cheers and thank you Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:04 pm

i cant send u out a chip without tuning it first and i dont send QHs as theres no point when you can buy it direct from the manufacturer at moates.net

if u want to tune it right and be done, go to the scrap yard and get yourself a ecu and wiring harness out of a 96 f series that uses a maf with an e4od

give me a shout when u get it all situated and ill tell u which ecu pin i can reassign for the torque converter lock up
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 am

cool everything from the firewall forward ? Or just the engine harness, from the fender out to the engine .I thought all the trans pins are the same. But you know better . No way to add the maf sensor like on a mustang ? Thanks Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:06 pm

no just snatch ecu and pull the harness connector through the firewall, take that harness and anything else along with it you might need, you should be able to unplug all the connectors on the trans, vss, tss, oss, mlps, epc bulkhead, and that harness should fish back up through to the top, theres usually a bulkhead connector there some refer to as the salt and pepper connector, snatch that too

then you have the tedious process of going through each wire and removing and adding the stuff you don't need or want to make it all clean and tidy, it'll basically be a stand alone harness at that point
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby BongoBob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:41 pm

uughh tedious , I do tedious work all day long. I think I'm going to stick with what I have.
I have beaten the tps code finally!! My smarter friend who helped me on sat and I figured it out . I rewired the tps wrong. had pins 46 + 47 crossed . I was only able to figure it out by using an old 60 pin connector as a guide, some of the wires had changed color with age and whatever else . I fixed it Monday and that code is gone !! Thanks to all who provided help especially Decipha. While we were at it we tested the tcc lockup wire and if you ground it the solenoid in the pan clicks . That's for the next post I have no tool here that will reset the kam so the battery is off now maybe it will magically work tomorrow!!! Thanks again Bob
BongoBob
General Poster

Return to Foxbody Tuning