Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Place for your vehicle notes and blow-by-blow build threads.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

delete

Unread post by ATPCR »

delete
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Re: Mustang SBF EECIV to EECV Swap

Unread post by ATPCR »

When you guys were using the coil connectors for the "Godzilla" coils, what kind of pliers did you use?
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produ ... l5u918efd5
These are the first thing that I found when I did a search.
https://www.temu.com/mini-pliers-ym-too ... 11940.html
RinerAuto
Vehicle Information: 1994 Mustang
302W w/RZASA and CNP
YouTube: RinerAutomotive
Instagram: RinerAutomotive

Unread post by RinerAuto »

ATPCR wrote: 2023 Aug 18, 18:39 When you guys were using the coil connectors for the "Godzilla" coils, what kind of pliers did you use?
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produ ... l5u918efd5
These are the first thing that I found when I did a search.
https://www.temu.com/mini-pliers-ym-too ... 11940.html
Mean crimpers for the pins? I didn't see anything at the temu link. This is what I bought that helped. I also already had a non-racheting open barrel crimper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJV ... =UTF8&th=1
RinerAuto
Vehicle Information: 1994 Mustang
302W w/RZASA and CNP
YouTube: RinerAutomotive
Instagram: RinerAutomotive

Unread post by RinerAuto »

I guess I haven't updated this for a bit. The engine runs great, yea there is some drivability things that still need to be tuned and wiring clean up I need to do. But on course and under full throttle this engine is a ripper. It does feel stronger and responds better than with distributor setup. That could also be due to getting a better tune with Decipha than what was on their previously.

My mustang is not a street car. It is mainly used on an autocross course, but there is a lot of on and off throttle. Last year I got the car running in May. Took it to Autocross Week in June where it autocrossed all week along with driving in between each venue for a total of 500 miles. Overall last year with this ECU/ignition setup the car competed is 33 events and racked up 220+ runs.

The best part, for my local club's year end championship I won first in class and first overall, while my girlfriend one first in her class as well.

Yea there is a lot of suspension work done, but without a powerful and reliable engine that would not have been possible. So big thanks to Decipha for pioneering this swap and the tuning. Definitely way more affordable than going aftermarket ecu and gets mostly the same functionality.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Great to hear about the performance improvement. Also great to hear about first in your class in your local club and first overall.
I see the Temu link doesn't work because they sold out of the cheap pliers. Mine from Temu look a lot like what you have.

ADDEDAfter looking at your pictures, I hope my cheap pliers have the correct jaw.
Temu crimper pliers.jpg
dleach1407
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, CBAZA Quarterhorse
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Unread post by dleach1407 »

ATPCR wrote: 2024 Feb 09, 07:59 Great to hear about the performance improvement. Also great to hear about first in your class in your local club and first overall.
I see the Temu link doesn't work because they sold out of the cheap pliers. Mine from Temu look a lot like what you have.

ADDEDAfter looking at your pictures, I hope my cheap pliers have the correct jaw.
Temu crimper pliers.jpg
Those look correct
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

I just re-read your thread to see how to properly hook up the Godzilla coils. I do see where you side that you had to swap the wiring on the coils. Would you, dleach1407 or someone have a pic of the coils showing how to wire it? Thanks.