Wankel Rotary Engine Basics

Rotary specific tuning forum

Wankel Rotary Engine Basics

Unread postby decipha » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:21 am

here's a very nice video illustrating the simple basics of how a wankel engine functions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCgl2uumlI

Tuning wise, a wankel engine presents a couple few EFI challenges, the first and most critical is fueling, a wankel engine can be thought of as a 4 cycle / 3 stroke engine. There are 4 cycles, intake, comp, power, exhaust, but a wankel only has 360x3=1080 degrees per revolution.

For a band-aid fix just to get the engine running on fuel injection with current technology, most people set them up as a 4 cylinder bank fire engine to inject twice per cycle, that however is not ideal.

To PROPERLY fuel a wankel engine you need a constant injection stream, this would mean you would have to design a variable flow fuel injector that operates at 100% duty cycle but regulates fuel flow. This can be approximately idealistic by having an injector at 100% and controlling the fuel pressure to reach the needed fuel flow. Thats not really practical with current injector technology. This is why a carburetor is STILL the most PRACTICAL means of fueling a wankel engine.

However, I believe that direct injection would be the most ideal. Let the intake stroke take in as much air as you can possibly force in there, then when she comes around to the combustion cycle have 3k+ psi or so of fuel pressure DIRECT inject the fueling. This will be similar to a diesel and give you more torque since your feeding the combustion as well as more power by cooling the charge from the liquid to gas reaction.

This is my personal take and thoughts on the wankel, if any of the above is incorrect let me know so i can update it.

btw, the D.E C. is the ONLY efi computer EVER designed to control a variable flow injector and can operate on all 3 of the above mentioned fueling strategies.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda