Long tube headers implications of calibration adjustments…

Used only on the 03/04 Marauder but can be used on any 03/04 ecu with code changes. Uses newer style SCP array so will not control cluster correctly on 2004 and older fords that use the older style SCP array such as mustangs.
m-barans
Vehicle Information: 2003 Mercury Marauder 300A with new stock bore IRON 4.6 block, Manley crank, Manley H-tuff h-beam rods, CP pistons with stainless rings, ARP head studs, GT500 lash adjusters and rollers, D series cylinder heads, VMP GEN3R 2.65 L TVS blower, 80 lb/hr FRPP Siemens Deka injectors, HPX slot 100mm MAF, coyote mustang fuel pump with Holley 60 psi filter/regulator return at pump, Stainless works long tube headers and complete exhaust, Moates quarter horse and TunerPro RT with support from Decipha, RZASA strategy.

2001 Ford Lightning SVT F-150 stock engine w/ inlet ported M112, GT500 rollers, ARP head studs, metco quick change upper pulley with stock sized upper, K&N intake system, bassani SS exhaust system from the stock manifold flanges back. 4x4 trans oil pan. SSBC big brakes 14” up front. Work/Street truck. My “next to build” with trick flow heads (before extinction) with h-beams & cobra jet crank (sitting in tool box) and proper pistons. Next up after the marauder is dialed in.

Long tube headers implications of calibration adjustments…

Unread post by m-barans »

So I am finally uncorking the terrible factory exhaust system on my my marauder which has a 2.65 TVS blower. I’m installing long tube headers and a full 2.5 inch dual exhaust system. So, my question is… What “tuning” changes are congruent with this improved performance exhaust system? Obviously boost levels will drop because of the improvement in pumping efficiency. Is there a way to take advantage of this improvement in the tune? I’m trying to improve my understanding of the implications of this mechanical engine pumping improvement and how it relates to making more power when “tuning”. Thank you 👍
wwhite
Vehicle Information: 1994 Flarside, XLT, 351w E4OD
SD48b, Quarter Horse, Burn2

Re: Long tube headers implications of calibration adjustments…

Unread post by wwhite »

following topic, I have a much simpler setup, but know there are some changes to be made, and I want to learn more.
red5.0fogger
Vehicle Information: 1986 Mustang GT, Stock block, TFS 170 Heads , N41 cam, ported cobra intake, nitrous, T5 , 3.73s

Unread post by red5.0fogger »

The safe way would be add some fuel at higher loads and then retune as needed. Make short pulls and be ready to get out of the throttle. Give her what she wants more or less fuel.
m-barans
Vehicle Information: 2003 Mercury Marauder 300A with new stock bore IRON 4.6 block, Manley crank, Manley H-tuff h-beam rods, CP pistons with stainless rings, ARP head studs, GT500 lash adjusters and rollers, D series cylinder heads, VMP GEN3R 2.65 L TVS blower, 80 lb/hr FRPP Siemens Deka injectors, HPX slot 100mm MAF, coyote mustang fuel pump with Holley 60 psi filter/regulator return at pump, Stainless works long tube headers and complete exhaust, Moates quarter horse and TunerPro RT with support from Decipha, RZASA strategy.

2001 Ford Lightning SVT F-150 stock engine w/ inlet ported M112, GT500 rollers, ARP head studs, metco quick change upper pulley with stock sized upper, K&N intake system, bassani SS exhaust system from the stock manifold flanges back. 4x4 trans oil pan. SSBC big brakes 14” up front. Work/Street truck. My “next to build” with trick flow heads (before extinction) with h-beams & cobra jet crank (sitting in tool box) and proper pistons. Next up after the marauder is dialed in.

Unread post by m-barans »

I appreciate that help. Fatten the top of the curve up a bit and cut or add fuel from there. I’m also wondering though… So the heated O2 sensors (upstream) have been moved further away from the combustion chambers. And they need heat to work properly. Is there an O2 heater function that can be modified to correct for this? Also, I imagine there may be a delay in fueling corrections as the closed loop has become bigger with that distance of the O2 sensors moved lower in the exhaust stream. But I’m a newbie so just trying to learn
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

I was wondering how far the WB O2 sensors could be from the combustion chamber, but I have "shorty" headers, so I think I'm close enough installing in the shorty collector. I was going to install one additional bung for a dash mounted AFR gauge but now after purchasing the Moates Quarterhorse I'm going to add 2 bungs. One for the stand-alone gauge and the 2nd to feedback to the Moates QH during real-time tuning. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can use wire/pin 47, the old EGR/DPFE, to wire the "2nd" wideband O2 sensor to feedback to the PCM. The header is still on the vehicle so I will be able to pick a spot that won't interfere with anything under the hood.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

no need to fatten the curve the maf measures airflow any increase in airflow will correspond with more air and likewise fuel.

if the headers move the o2s farther back then yes kick up the hego delay thats the FNTDSEC8x10 table. Kick it up a percentage say 50% or globally add 0.35 msec to start and then use the hego delay histogram on eec-v to dial it in from the ecu's learned corrections over time.

the hego heater can also be kicked up as well search for hego heater and FN_USHTR_DC should pop up which is the hego heater duty cycle for time. Kick up the duty cycle so the heater keeps it hotter as its farther back. 85% should be good, most tuners just set them to 100%.

you may need to delay closed loop as well if the o2s are farther back since it will take them longer to heat up. search CL Delay (FN_TCSTRT) and kick up the delay time.

make sure you update the inferred load table FN1036A for the new load