Rubber Expandable Freeze Plug Review

Good experience? Bad? Or just want to compliment or complain about an experience you've had with a company or individual? This is the place for all reviews good or bad.

Rubber Expandable Freeze Plug Review

Unread postby decipha » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:26 pm

I figured Id put this here to give my 2 cents

my moms explorer lost 2 freeze plugs, both of the front most plugs on each side of the engine corroded through. The stock freeze plugs were rinky dink they only looked to be about 0.020" thickness. I got 3 new plugs from the machine shop we had that were .050" thickness plenty stout to widthstand the test of time, so i knocked the old ones out which was easy, but i couldn't get the correct angle with the engine in the truck to knock the new ones in. I damaged two of the plugs trying and knocked the 3rd inside the block :shock: so my only option was to try out the expandable plugs, 20 minutes later she was back up and running, those gems are an excellent design. Its only been 3 days but its doing well

If you were like I prior and had no faith in the rubber plugs, I highly recommend
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: Rubber Expandable Freeze Plug Review

Unread postby StangD » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:51 pm

It's been decades since I used one. I've had some work about forever and some popped out real soon. It's all about the block thickness and the reach of the rubber plug. If you get a good bulge on the inside of the block they can hold for a very long time. I don't like them but I hear you on the angle. There are times when you aren't going to install a standard freeze plug without some disassembly and jerking the motor half out of the vehicle.
94 Mustang GT-T5-347(Fordstrokers DIY)-TF190s,FTI Cam,Ported Victor EFI,42s-LMAF,85MM TB-Nitrous-Suspension mods and DRs.
CBAZA-TM40

12.1 @119.50 NA

Pulling baby wheelies and breakin stuff.
StangD
Supporting Member 25

Name: Dewayne
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT T5 CBAZA TM40

347 TF190-Victor EFI-LMAF- 85MM TB- 42s,4.10s-DRs

Return to Reviews, Compliments & Complaints