Digital Cluster Epiphany - finally a feasible solution

Specifics pertaining to the DEC

Digital Cluster Epiphany - finally a feasible solution

Unread postby decipha » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 pm

For the past couple weeks Ive been driving my friend/cousins 1969 C10 pickup, it has the rare spare on the fender and a complete LQ9 and 4L80E pull out / swap from a 2005 1/2 ton. Ive been working out the little quirks in it and it runs absolutely amazing. Its definitely a looker.

In any case it has the original dashboard and gauges, NOTHING has been hacked up or added to it over the years. It only has the speedo and fuel level gauges and flasher, generator, and low oil pressure warning lamps, all except the speedo which was cable driven still work.

As far as the DEC the digital cluster is the only means of communicating or controlling the pcm. The digital cluster isnt required but is very nice and is needed to enable n2o, trans brake, and other various little additions that it can control.

The placement of the cluster has always been a problem, back in 2010-2011 when I came up with the first protoype the idea was to replace the stock cluster with a replacement fitted cluster that would fit right in. That quickly became a problem since it would require the replacement of the oem cluster, the expense of fabricating, the time required, the skill level needed, etc.. It simply wasnt a feasible solution

I then considered having small thin displays that could be placed over the cluster that would be near seamless, that too was troublesome due to the significant differences in factory clusters.

I then considered a remote mounted cluster that could be located out of way, almost like a palm pilot or ipad that you could whip out when needed. That too wasnt optimal but the only solution I had.

Well just now sitting in this truck I think Ive reached a new decision. The sun visor!

All factory vehicles have sun visors and for those offroad vehicles that do not I could easily fab up a swing door. I believe this to be the oppurtune location. It can quickly be flipped up and out the way not impeding the factory cluster taking away from the nastalgic look on older hotrods yet easy enough to be concealed. Its in a location that doesnt require the operator to focus elsewhere other than the road. Its not distracting. And most all sun visors are of similar enough deminsions that it could be universal with perhaps 3 or 4 variations. Its simple enough to strap on with some bands making installation a breeze.

This has always been an issue and one that really bothered me quite a bit. Ive honestly lost sleep over this. Hopefully now I can put it to rest.

Thoughts anyone?
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: Digital Cluster Epiphany - finally a feasible solution

Unread postby YaBoyHalle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:23 am

although i'd like to replace my cluster anyways, it's a pretty good idea. as long as it's not too heavy to sag the visor, it can be made to look at home.
YaBoyHalle
A+ Contributor

Name: halle
Vehicle Information: 1993 2.3 LX
~97 hp

Re: Digital Cluster Epiphany - finally a feasible solution

Unread postby decipha » Sun May 01, 2016 12:22 pm

yea weight isnt a problem the display isnt heavy at all, but for good measure i'll can afix a magnet to the bottom so when it flips up it will have slightly more help staying closed

another bonus is that its unlikely it will see much sunlight

when i get my harley engine done and some free time ill be tossing one in there for testing
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda