chipping a 7.3 powerstroke

Forum for tuning diesel's, carburetors, and mechanical fuel injection.

chipping a 7.3 powerstroke

Unread postby Chinai » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:29 am

I know there are a ton of Powerstroke forums out there, but they tend to lean toward the brodozer side. That's not me. I've got a 115,000 mile 1997 F250 HD Powerstroke. I like it quite a bit. This last weekend I towed a 12,000 lb triple axle enclosed trailer with it 500 miles, and while it was great on the interstate- it struggled on some long hills and especially up Monteagle mountain. I'll only tow this trailer a couple of times a year probably, but it's annoying to me that my dad's 2000 V10 pulls better. So I'm considering adding a 6 position switch to the truck to add some power when towing. I don't care anything about rolling coal or anything like that, I just don't want to fall on its face headed up the mountain again. Does anyone else have experience with this? Btw, I've got the 3.55 gears on this I think. It runs 70 mph at about 1900 rpm.
Chinai
User

Name: Dominic Asher
Vehicle Information: 1990 Ford Ranger, Ford forged/dished pistons

Re: chipping a 7.3 powerstroke

Unread postby decipha » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:07 am

yea no problem there are several vendors out there with can chip tunes you can plug in that will give you quite a noticeable boost in performance while towing

usually for all my diesel stuff I call mike mcknight at white horse tuning outside of dallas texas. As for a diesel its not worthwhile to DIY tune it without investing a substantial amount of time and money. For one vehicle diy tuning a diesel is not really ideal.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Decipha Ponto
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda