Multi-purpose Rollcage possible? Nhra,scca, nasa legal?

Forum for getting assistance with mechanical issues and custom fabrications/modifications

Multi-purpose Rollcage possible? Nhra,scca, nasa legal?

Unread postby Squishy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Ive been doing a lot of reading on what is required of different organizations (scca, nasa, nhra) and they all seem to differ on what is required. A rollbar is easier to satisfy everyone and i thought of going that route as it doesnt need to be recertified every few years..... i just like the safety aspect of a cage.

From what im reading if i build it all out of 1.75 .120 dom it should be legal for tube size for all organizations. While it will be heavy and thicker than required scca/nasa requires 1-3/4 .095 and nhra 1-5/8 .120 listed as MIN.

Nhra require a certified cage for 9.99 or 135mph, and a 5 point 1-3/4 .120 rollbar at 11.5-10.0 and doesnt have to be certified.
Now say i run 10.9 with a cage, does it still have to be certified? Or just certified once i hit 9.99 or 135mph?

If having a cage requires certification every few years no matter speed ill really rethink the cage vs rollbar thing as this car is just for fun and not a dedicated racer. I just like the cage for safety.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?
Thanks
Squishy
Supporting Member 35

Vehicle Information: 91 5.0(302) Stock Shortblock, A9l, QuarterHorse, F-303, 1.7rr's, Edelbrock Performer 60379 Heads, TrickFlow-R Intake, BlowThrough PMAS MH30-HPX-E 3" MAF ,SD 80lb Injectors, Stock FPR@39PSI, GSS 340(255lph High Pressure) Fuel Pump, 70mm ThrottleBody, Vortech V3sci 10-rib 8" Crank 3.33 Blower Pulley, NX Meth Kit Dual Nozzles 625ml/min&325ml/min 300psi, Bosch BPV, 1-5/8" BBK Equal Length Headers, 2.5" BBK H-Pipe, 2.5" Magnaflow Cat Back, Taurus 2 Speed Fan, No Smog Pump. No EGR. T-56 Magnum (Close Ratio)
WBo2-C (AEM)

Re: Multi-purpose Rollcage possible? Nhra,scca, nasa legal?

Unread postby decipha » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 pm

no u only need to cerify when u crack the 9s, most tracks will even waive a rollbar in the 10s as many stockish vehicles can run that these days, our local track stopped requiring it when we showed up with 15+ stockish cars one day all running 10s lol

in any case, as long as your not running a sanctioned event its really up to the track tech, a lot of our cars are one pass wonders as we can only get 1 pass in before they kick us out, if u go on test and tune nights and run consistent they usually dont bother u though, if u go from running 11s to 9s expect to get a follow up. its more so how u present yourself. Running 10s you shouldnt have any problems. At least I personally never have.

If your running 9s and have your nomex helmet and nitro boots they usually wont give u a second look. If your running junk missing lug nuts though and are unprepared expect to get hassled. Again all in how u present yourself.

one recommendation, make sure u do at least a 12 pt and put swing outs on it
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: Multi-purpose Rollcage possible? Nhra,scca, nasa legal?

Unread postby Squishy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:06 pm

decipha wrote:no u only need to cerify when u crack the 9s, most tracks will even waive a rollbar in the 10s as many stockish vehicles can run that these days, our local track stopped requiring it when we showed up with 15+ stockish cars one day all running 10s lol

in any case, as long as your not running a sanctioned event its really up to the track tech, a lot of our cars are one pass wonders as we can only get 1 pass in before they kick us out, if u go on test and tune nights and run consistent they usually dont bother u though, if u go from running 11s to 9s expect to get a follow up. its more so how u present yourself. Running 10s you shouldnt have any problems. At least I personally never have.

If your running 9s and have your nomex helmet and nitro boots they usually wont give u a second look. If your running junk missing lug nuts though and are unprepared expect to get hassled. Again all in how u present yourself.

one recommendation, make sure u do at least a 12 pt and put swing outs on it

Ive herd about them relaxing the 11.5 rollbar rule on 2008 or 2009 and newer vehicles but not sure how strict they are locally with older vehicles and the rollbar rule.

Was hoping an 8 point would be good. im sure its a lot stronger extending forward from the a pillar though.

I guess i should get it to the body shop and put it up on the frame bench and verify its square before that much fab work.
Squishy
Supporting Member 35

Vehicle Information: 91 5.0(302) Stock Shortblock, A9l, QuarterHorse, F-303, 1.7rr's, Edelbrock Performer 60379 Heads, TrickFlow-R Intake, BlowThrough PMAS MH30-HPX-E 3" MAF ,SD 80lb Injectors, Stock FPR@39PSI, GSS 340(255lph High Pressure) Fuel Pump, 70mm ThrottleBody, Vortech V3sci 10-rib 8" Crank 3.33 Blower Pulley, NX Meth Kit Dual Nozzles 625ml/min&325ml/min 300psi, Bosch BPV, 1-5/8" BBK Equal Length Headers, 2.5" BBK H-Pipe, 2.5" Magnaflow Cat Back, Taurus 2 Speed Fan, No Smog Pump. No EGR. T-56 Magnum (Close Ratio)
WBo2-C (AEM)

Return to Mechanics & Fabrication