Custom CAI question

Forum for getting assistance with mechanical issues and custom fabrications/modifications

Custom CAI question

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm

I've been thinking about going back to the factory air intake or something similar for my car. My large conical filter sits in the engine bay as far forward as possible. I'm thinking the factory air box would be much better at deterring high ACT's.
The issue is that I run a 90mm LMAF and a 75mm TB. The factory inlet tubing is a small diameter.
This is a show and go car so I don't wish to do a hack job. I've considered using reducers to get everything to fit but not sure of the effects on air flow and the MAF. I've also considered an in fender CAI kit but the bends concern me.

Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated. Attached is a pic of my current setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fasterthangas
Power Poster

Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
CBAZA-TunerPro RT
CHP 347 SBF
10.3:1 cr
Panhandle Performance Stage lll ported upper and lower Performer RPM
TFI Custom hydraulic roller
TFS 170 heads heavily ported
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
BBK 75mm TB
T5
4.10's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Edelbrock straight through mufflers

Re: Custom CAI question

Unread postby motorhead1991 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Here's my current setup on my Ranger:

Currently, the MAF only sees heat soaking if I let it run while it's not moving. As soon as it's driving, the IATs come down to around the external air temperature, maybe only a little warmer than that.
motorhead1991
General Poster

Name: Anthony Cox
Vehicle Information: 1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.
Vehicle 2 Information: Stock 1990 Ranger. ICM relocation

Unread postby decipha » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:21 pm

easiest and most effective method would be to make a box that shields the filter against engine heat
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:13 pm

decipha wrote:easiest and most effective method would be to make a box that shields the filter against engine heat

Agreed. I'm going to install this: http://marchperformance.com/accessories/ram-air-kits/ram-air-kit-parts/air-box-for-ram-air.html
Fasterthangas
Power Poster

Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
CBAZA-TunerPro RT
CHP 347 SBF
10.3:1 cr
Panhandle Performance Stage lll ported upper and lower Performer RPM
TFI Custom hydraulic roller
TFS 170 heads heavily ported
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
BBK 75mm TB
T5
4.10's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Edelbrock straight through mufflers

Return to Mechanics & Fabrication