Ideal ECM recommendation for new motor?

For all other non specifically listed ECU tuning. This would include can-bus ecu's such as powerpc copperhead tricore and siemens ecus. As well as GM, Dodge or any aftermarket controller tuning etc...
sydude
Vehicle Information: '92 Ford Bronco Prerunner
DART 427w Stroker w/all Forged Internals
Tremec TR-6060 6-Speed Manual, 4x4 conversion (TRANZILLA)
FTI TF High Port CNC 230 Heads & FTI Custom Cam
Holley Hi Ram Intake - 95mm with FRPP 60lb Injectors
Stainless Works 2"/3.5" High Port Long Tube Headers
--
Old Motor & Trans: FRPP 302, E4OD, 80mm MAF, AKC0 EEC tuned by Core, E303, GT40X, Edelbrock EFI Truck etc

Ideal ECM recommendation for new motor?

Unread post by sydude »

Hi guys. I’m trying to figure out which ECM to go with for a new motor that I’m building (see signature below). My current eec is a AKC0 with a QH and I use binary editor. I’m happy with the way it runs, but for the new motor I want to go fully distributorless, preferably with individual coil packs, or at a minimum with built in EDIS(8?). A big plus would be CAN bus, for digital dash capability etc. I definitely want to stay Mass Air.

So I think I definitely want to go with something more modern than an eec-iv, but I don’t know what would be best. Here are the eec’s I’m thinking of, in the order of current preference:

1. Ford CDAN4, or any Ford ecm that would be newer and better (I know nothing about eec’s newer than eec-iv)
2. Haltech Elite 2000
3. Pro-M EFI
4. Stinger PIMPxs

My existing harness is thirty years old, I need to replace all of it anyway, so additional labor and time to change to a different wiring configuration is not an issue. Cost difference between these choices is also not a consideration.

my top factors in order:
1. Long term reliability and parts availability
2. drivability
3. Modern infrastructure compatibility and expansion capabilities

Your suggestions and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Sy
dleach1407
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, CBAZA Quarterhorse
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Re: Ideal ECM recommendation for new motor?

Unread post by dleach1407 »

RZASA is probably going to be your best bet. You can get an ecu and wiring harness from any 03-04 crown vic. im currently building a 57f100 and am using what I suggested. Ill wait for others to chime in but i think RZASA is going to be your best bet
91GTman
Vehicle Information: 1991 Ford Mustang GT
A9L - BE/EA
306, RPM heads, Cometic Gaskets, F-cam, Cartech intake, Pro-M blowthru, 80lb deka, DIY GT42 Turbo, Tremec 5sp, 3.73, Baseline Suspension

Unread post by 91GTman »

I was looking to go distributorless and individual coil on a windsor as well. I pulled an ecm, engine harness and crank sensor from a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis and planned on using Rzasa but have not started the install yet
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

None of the eec's are going to be can bus thats powerpc and newer 2005+

best bet is always a 2004 luxury sedan ecu as whats been said running an rzasa tune
sydude
--
Old Motor & Trans: FRPP 302, E4OD, 80mm MAF, AKC0 EEC tuned by Core, E303, GT40X, Edelbrock EFI Truck etc

Unread post by sydude »

Awesome, thanks guys!
sydude
--

Unread post by sydude »

What’s the best place/way to get an RZASA ecm? A rebuilder like Cardone, Flagship One, etc? They all ask for a VIN and mileage, which I assume doesn’t matter if I’m ‘tuning’ it. I can’t seem to find any private party used units, and I’m wary of buying a unit from a junk yard remotely (there aren’t any local yards near me)

How about PATS? Is that anything I need to pay attention to I’m picking an ECM? Or is PATS simply disabled in the tune whether the ECM has it built in or not?
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

Always best to get them from a u pull it.

We don't concern ourselves with PATS.

I can ship you an ecu for $150 if your interested. LMK your full setup so I can flash a base file to it. http://www.efidynotuning.com/info.php
Pappacosworth
Vehicle Information: SIGNATURE
Ford Mustang Cobra -94. Ported M112 ratio 2.375:1, 4.6 Dohc, ported c-heads, TR3650, 3.55 IRS, ZYA2
Coretuning/Moates/HPTuners/Innovate/Tunernerd Knock Monitor/

Unread post by Pappacosworth »

Would it be difficult to swap s197 ecm to 2003 Mustang and have everything functional, except pats.