CME's and sensitive electronics

Come shoot the shit or scope out the scenery. Either way this is for all non specific posts.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

CME's and sensitive electronics

Unread post by ATPCR »

There have been many recent articles about corona mass ejections and the affect on satellites, the electric grid and electronic devices. The next solar storm could be worse than the 1859 Carrington event. The next “Carrington-class” solar storm could affect us or not. I guess that it depends on whether it is daytime or nighttime.
https://www.wsj.com/science/environment ... m-b6324524
What would or could this do to vehicles that rely on computers to control the engines and more? Are we vulnerable? Would a EMB released over the US say by a country like North Korea do the same damage? Would the majority of the vehicles out driving during such an event be affected and turn our roadways into "junkyards".
The main question is if individuals that are aware that this could happen have a spare PCM stored away in an old metal ammo box, would it be protected in a "Faraday cage" sort of way?
red5.0fogger
Vehicle Information: 1986 Mustang GT, Stock block, TFS 170 Heads , N41 cam, ported cobra intake, nitrous, T5 , 3.73s

Re: CME's and sensitive electronics

Unread post by red5.0fogger »

If a huge one hits and kills all the cars and electronics it will be like Mad Max out there. folks will be attacked or killed for a running car but also roads will be clogged with dead cars and trucks. Dang that would be an ugly thing for sure. Food will run out quick and so on....
But maybe it won't harm most cars in the way we think.... Not sure if anyone knows for sure.
Cougar281
Vehicle Information: 1995 Mercury Cougar
2002 PI 4.6L V8
1999 J-Modded 4R70W
2004 PTP2 PCM

Unread post by Cougar281 »

Based on EMP simulation testing videos I've seen, it seems unlikely that such events would have catastrophic results with cars. The testing found that most vehicles were either totally unaffected or only experienced minor issues like stalling, but being able to be restarted immediately, or in some cases, non-critical systems were damaged, but the vehicles still functioned.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

The EMP that would be required to kill an eec-v would have to be at a proximity and magnitude well over the threshold most humans could tolerate.

Most likely youd disrupt it and it would reset from ram getting wiped. Unlikely but I suppose possible youd could erase the prom before death but thats a long shot.

EMPs of that magnitude would be more detrimental to electrical infrastrusture and gasoline production itself since all refineries require computer controls to operate. It would be a huge ubdertaking to revert refineries and plants back 60 years when they weren't computer intervention monitored and partially valve controlled.