How to save PCM load?

non vehicle specific forum for tuning all other EEC-IV

How to save PCM load?

Unread postby Senator » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:30 pm

I am not new to tuning, but brand new to Ford, Quarterhorse and Tuner Pro RT tuning. I'm tuning my sons 1995 Bronco with a pretty highly modded 351, using a '93 Mustang ECM IV computer (A9P).

I want to load the stock PCM load to use as a starting point to tune, but can't find instructions on how to save the existing PCM file to load it into Quarterhorse. Is this possible with this setup?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Darden
Senator
General Poster

Name: Darden Hamilton
Vehicle Information: 1995 White Bronco (OJ Truck) - 5.7l w/ 93 Mustang EEC IV (A9P), Quarterhorse, TunerPro RT

Re: How to save PCM load?

Unread postby decipha » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:45 pm

make sure u have the correct def, a9p may be guf1 its been a while so im not sure

in any case the stock tunes are all garbage and require a bunch of changes to dial in properly so be warned

best to stick with gufb and load in a stock a9l bin if u want to start from scratch
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Senator » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm

I have loaded the stock A9L and gufb and the setup is pretty daunting to me. The engine won't run without a lot of info that I don't have. The MAF cal has been lost, so I need to go to the stock cal until a new MAF can be installed.I am trying to get the stock tune back onto the Quarterhorse since the truck runs OK and just needs some fine tuning to disable EGR and some of the other unneeded functions that are no longer on the vehicle and fine tune the mass flow and fuel curves to fit the new cam, go back to a stock cal on the MAF sensor (which is now "calibrated" ) as opposed to just putting in the correct cal for the sensor.

It would be much faster for me to start from the sw load already in the EEC.

Is there a way to read the EEC's .bin file and move it into the Quarterhorse, so I can at least be on the road to make other changes as time allows?

Regards,

Darden
Senator
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 1995 White Bronco (OJ Truck) - 5.7l w/ 93 Mustang EEC IV (A9P), Quarterhorse, TunerPro RT

Unread postby Senator » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:48 pm

I have read the /starting post and gone as far as I can with that, but only made it to changing the engine displacement. Is there any documentation that covers basic tuning with the Quarterhorse/Tuner Pro RT combo for the EEC IV? Is there any other software available that is documented so someone with very limited Ford tuning experience can figure out how to use it?

I used LS1 edit, with all of it's warts, for 17 years and the first thing you do is to DL the onboard tune and save it, using it as the starting point for the changes and the basic tune file that is used to go back to if something goes wrong or doesn't work as modifications to the tune are implemented in increments. I feel like I can't get started with this tune. The good news is that the EEC IV tune is on a PROM that goes back to it's original config so, if I have to I can remove Quarterhorse, and get the Bronco back on the road so it isn't any worse for the experiment.

With my limited Ford experience, maybe there is software available that has more detailed documentation that would be better suited for me. What are my options? I have a few days off this week to help my son through this tune, so if I have a source of info, I can work through this with him. Quarterhorse is working, and communicating with the EEC IV. Yesterday, I UL'd the stock A9L and GUFB files into Quarterhorse with no success in getting the setup completed as described in /starting. That is why I am needing to go to the stock tune to get started.

I have a lot of experience with engine controls (35 years as an Aerospace Propulsion Flight Test Engineer) so if the info is out there, I can likely figure out how to make it work.

Help!

Regards,

Darden
Senator
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:38 pm

if it runs on the stock tune load the a9l2 in it, if you think your going to dial in properly starting from the stock tune your sadly mistaken, in order to dial in a stock tune properly it takes a fond understanding of all the ford algorithms, the stock tune is jumbled together and is far from ideal on the foxes, by far one of the worse calibrations ford has ever made

you don't need the maf data just simply dial the maf in, all the info is on the homepage in the fuel write up

the getting started write up on the homepage should point you in the right direction and tells you how to read the stock tune if you so desire

gm's are pretty basic to tune anyone can do them, the ford take a bit more knowledge to do it properly since theres so much more controls

everything you ever need to know is on the homepage in the write ups
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Senator » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 am

Thanks. I will try the a9l2 to get me on the road, and work the tune in between. That helps me a lot.
Senator
General Poster

Return to EEC-IV Tuning