New to the quarterhorse tuning. Need advice

non vehicle specific forum for tuning all other EEC-IV

New to the quarterhorse tuning. Need advice

Unread postby Bad86capri » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 am

I'm new to the quarterhorse tuning. Im picking up my quarterhorse today and will likely be downloading the software tonight. The setup im getting has a dongle already setup but i was curious about what software to use. I know a lot of people use BE and a lot use tunerpro. Which do you guys recommend? And where can i find on this site a good base tune to start with?
Setup- 306ci, twisted wedge heads, Anderson b3 cam, holley systemax intake, 30lbs inj., 80mm c&l meter with c&l elbow.

Thanks again!
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Name: Bill
Vehicle Information: 86 Capri T-Top. Oxford white, grey trim and canyon red interior. 306 with twisted wedge heads, Anderson b3 cam, holley systemax intake, ev6 30lbs inj., c&l 80mm maf, 70mm tb, longtube headers. Im currently using a plx wideband mounted in the driverside header. Tuning with moates quarterhorse and BE although sometimes i play around with Tunerpro

Re: New to the quarterhorse tuning. Need advice

Unread postby 85GT » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:34 am

Unless something's changed, the dongle is for BE. The quarterhorse doesn't care or need one. Some like BE, some like TunerPro. Other than it's sluggish data log start up and occasional fail, I prefer BE's graphical interface. And only been using TunerPro on the chevys so far. BE, for me is easier to navigate. What ever you click on opens. Then closes as you select something else. With Tunerpro, every PID needs to be double click to open a window for it. Then the window needs to be clicked to close. Lot of excessive mouse clicks.
85GT
Advanced Tuner

Name: Hank
Vehicle Information: 85 Mustang GT. 5.0, QH, A9L
Vehicle 2 Information: 91 Caprice 5.0 TunerPro RT
Vehicle 3 Information: 95 Caprice 4.3 TunerPro RT

Unread postby 85GT » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:36 am

Are you going to swap in a A9x EEC, or stay stock/speed density?
85GT
Advanced Tuner

Unread postby StangD » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:04 am

I have used both for a few years. IMO here are the pros and cons.

BE-

Pros- A little less tedious opening and closing PIDs as mentioned, incredible customer support which I used a lot a few years ago, super high quality DEF files at an affordable price from Sailor Bob.

Cons- (Many may have been solved?), frequently unstable due to software conflicts. Operating system, Innovate wideband etc. Locked up constantly. It was true torment for awhile but as I said they have good support and will work through it with you. The datalogging is weak in comparison to TP R/T

Tunerpro RT-

Pros- Free or $39 registered. MUCH more stable in my experience. No software conflicts. Rarely locks up unless user does something weird. Datalogging is awesome. Timely customer support is about non-existent but Decipha will help you here when he isn't busy with paying customers and life.

Cons- DEF file availability is limited and nowhere near as complete as SailorBobs BE DEFS

I tried the best of both worlds for a few months. Write tunes in BE with my good DEF, and datalog in TP. Worked for awhile, then I started have frequent tune corruption at the drag strip. Traced it back to having both programs open at once. Went with TP only and tune corruption immediately reduced by 90%. I don't have the knowledge to know specifically why the tunes corrupted, but it stopped happening daily when I stopped mixing programs.

Probably going to try to sell my BE dongle so I guess I am a TP guy going forward.
94 Mustang GT-T5-347(Fordstrokers DIY)-TF190s,FTI Cam,Ported Victor EFI,42s-LMAF,85MM TB-Nitrous-Suspension mods and DRs.
CBAZA-TM40

12.1 @119.50 NA

Pulling baby wheelies and breakin stuff.
StangD
Supporting Member 25

Name: Dewayne
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT T5 CBAZA TM40

347 TF190-Victor EFI-LMAF- 85MM TB- 42s,4.10s-DRs

Unread postby Bad86capri » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:06 pm

85GT wrote:Are you going to swap in a A9x EEC, or stay stock/speed density?

I'm running a a9l
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Vehicle Information: 86 Capri T-Top. Oxford white, grey trim and canyon red interior. 306 with twisted wedge heads, Anderson b3 cam, holley systemax intake, ev6 30lbs inj., c&l 80mm maf, 70mm tb, longtube headers. Im currently using a plx wideband mounted in the driverside header. Tuning with moates quarterhorse and BE although sometimes i play around with Tunerpro

Unread postby Bad86capri » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Who's sailor bob? Thanks for the info.
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Unread postby Bad86capri » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:09 pm

85GT wrote:Unless something's changed, the dongle is for BE. The quarterhorse doesn't care or need one. Some like BE, some like TunerPro. Other than it's sluggish data log start up and occasional fail, I prefer BE's graphical interface. And only been using TunerPro on the chevys so far. BE, for me is easier to navigate. What ever you click on opens. Then closes as you select something else. With Tunerpro, every PID needs to be double click to open a window for it. Then the window needs to be clicked to close. Lot of excessive mouse clicks.

Yes the dongle is for binary editor.
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Unread postby 85GT » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:49 pm

The A9L (A9x) kinda started it all and been the most supported. And CREY8's public def gives you everything you need. It's free. Comes with BE. For other vehicles, need to rely on others for better defs then what's available free. Sailorbob is a user on here? but more so on eectuning.org

Did you get EA with BE? It's well integrated to the datalogs from BE. Tunerpro, you need to export data first before you can import it into EA or even Excel.
Are you looking for just quick results or also interested learning the in's and out's too.
85GT
Advanced Tuner

Unread postby Bad86capri » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:10 am

I'm actually running a a9m. When i pulled it yesterday to install the q.h. i seen it. I forgot that's the computer i was running. I believe their pretty much the same as the a9l
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Unread postby Bad86capri » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:12 am

85GT wrote:The A9L (A9x) kinda started it all and been the most supported. And CREY8's public def gives you everything you need. It's free. Comes with BE. For other vehicles, need to rely on others for better defs then what's available free. Sailorbob is a user on here? but more so on eectuning.org

Did you get EA with BE? It's well integrated to the datalogs from BE. Tunerpro, you need to export data first before you can import it into EA or even Excel.
Are you looking for just quick results or also interested learning the in's and out's too.

I actually have all 3. BE, EA, and tunerpro.
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Unread postby StangD » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:32 am

Sailorbob is his forum handle here and other forums. He posts here occasionally. His name is Derek and he lives in England. His BE DEF files are the best I have ever seen and only $25. I bought CBAZA three years ago. I bet he has sent at least six free updates since then. I don't use BE now but I highly recommend Sailorbob, and so do many others including Decipha.
94 Mustang GT-T5-347(Fordstrokers DIY)-TF190s,FTI Cam,Ported Victor EFI,42s-LMAF,85MM TB-Nitrous-Suspension mods and DRs.
CBAZA-TM40

12.1 @119.50 NA

Pulling baby wheelies and breakin stuff.
StangD
Supporting Member 25

Name: Dewayne
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT T5 CBAZA TM40

347 TF190-Victor EFI-LMAF- 85MM TB- 42s,4.10s-DRs

Unread postby 85GT » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:13 pm

Not sure why you would need one for an A9x eec from him though. Or even sure if he did one.
85GT
Advanced Tuner

Unread postby decipha » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:32 pm

no you wouldnt

derek "dex" sailorbob, was the originator of the original def files for gufb and cbaza for tunerpro

back when BE first came out it had a tool to import the tunerpro def files to xls for BE

afaik, im the only one that actively writes ford def files for tunerpro
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Bad86capri » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:37 pm

decipha wrote:no you wouldnt

derek "dex" sailorbob, was the originator of the original def files for gufb and cbaza for tunerpro

back when BE first came out it had a tool to import the tunerpro def files to xls for BE

afaik, im the only one that actively writes ford def files for tunerpro

Ive tried using tuner pro but can't get it to recognize my quarterhorse. BE seems to be pretty good. Im wanting to try tunerpro. I may spend some time on it this weekend and get working and try it out.
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Unread postby decipha » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:11 am

did you set up tunerpro correctly?

http://efidynotuning.com/started.htm
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Bad86capri » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:57 am

Probably not. Ive honestly not had time to mess with Tunerpro. I've been happy with how easy b.e is to navigate. I just read your write up on timing. So it's easier to only set timing using the sea level scaler. I set up a timing strategy using the base wot. I haven't had a chance to drive the car yet due to a dead battery. When i get home today I'm going to follow the write up and go that route. Im looking forward to learning more about tuning and getting my car tuned in!
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Unread postby Bad86capri » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:59 am

Another thing. How do i write up my plx wideband to the harness so I can datalog the a/f? I've looked around but i keep finding the same articles that don't really help me any.
Thanks again!
Bad86capri
Power Poster

Return to EEC-IV Tuning