A9L Error Code 15

Decipha's custom GUFX strategy covers all 89-93 foxbody ecu's including the 88 mass-air california ecus.
Jstauffe
Vehicle Information: 1966 Mustang Coupe
289 A9L, ported heads, gt 40 intake, mild cam, long tubes

A9L Error Code 15

Unread post by Jstauffe »

I keep getting this code and it's making my check engine light flash rapidly, which is terribly annoying. I just about have my tune dialed, car runs awesome, no issues whatsoever. I'm afraid the bin got corrupted in some inconsequential way. I've been playing with it for almost a year now, so lot's of opportunity. It's been doing this for a while, can't really pinpoint what or when. Occasionally the light will stop flashing, but I don't have a pattern yet.

I've tried...
Replacing the capacitors in the A9L...didn't help.
The software says 'checksum updated' down in the footer when I save the file. Does it load that down to the quarterhorse automatically? In any case I've also tried downloading the file and it doesn't help

Quarterhorse hardware, new battery(didn't help)
TunerPro 5.00.9995.00
Started with older A9L2_200713.bin(was a while ago)
GUFX_200726.xdf
Decipha_200714.adx

I know there are newer versions of the files out there, but the thought of starting over.....I've spent some time getting idle and daspot working to my liking. I'm so close to being done with this!

BIN is attached.

I really hope I'm doing something dumb.

I appreciate any suggestions!
Jonathan
Attachments
A9L2_2024_FuelScaled_15_17.bin
(56 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: A9L Error Code 15

Unread post by decipha »

post a log driving around
Jstauffe

...from this morning
Attachments
A9L2_2024_fuelscaled_15_19.xdl
(986.5 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

Why do you have her forced in to open loop ?

The kam clear patch is set thats whats causing her to freak out.

Attached your tune updated to the a9l2. Give it a go and see if you like it, if not then just delete it no biggie.
Attachments
A9L2_2024_FuelScaled_15_17_fixed.bin
(56 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Jstauffe

Awesome thank you! Good to know about the KAM clear patch.

I assume I use the latest xdf/adf files with this? I'll give it a whirl and let you know. Curious, was it difficult to convert between the 2 files? Does that Tunerpro compare tool work? I kinda figured since you tweaked the BIN base code that it would not.

I have been going around and around with the closed loop, and using the O2s in general. It leans out the fuel at idle so much that it won't run. When we were on Power Tour last year I had a couple of times where I had to pull over and reload a previous tune. I finally just gave up. It runs better.

I have a narrow band meter with a switch for both hegos so I can look at either of them live, and while my wide band says lean, they both say rich. I have replaced them, checked wiring, verified the ground, etc etc. I think it's the motor. My wide band seems to give better results, both based on how it runs, and my highly accurate wide band O2 sensing nose :)

I think it's a combo of the long tubes, x pipe and cam overlap(~65 degrees).

I really appreciate the help!

Jonathan
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

well thats the problem right there

read the pre tune info
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

well correction its not in there

im not sure where i put it but ill add it there

in any case you CANNOT have any wiring modifications on the factory hego wiring. You cannot use extensions and you definitely cannot tap it for a gauge.

All narrowband rich lean gauges REQUIRE A DEDICATED HEGO. The hego CANNOT accurately control fuel when the hego or the factory wiring is tapped.

Hegos are voltage generators, its impossible for them to generate a rich voltage without a rich mixture.

Most widebands read incorrectly at low flow conditions. This is why narrowband o2 sensors should always be used for dialing in fuel up to half throttle where the wideband should then be reading much more stable.
Jstauffe

Good to know on that. Makes sense. I'll pull the tap from the gauge. Hopefully this is why I've been pulling my hair out. Man this thread is a twofer for me!

Thanks for all the time you have put into this site. I know I appreciate it!

Have a good night.
Jonathan
Jstauffe

Ok I tried the new bin, and disabled the clear KAM patch. Still got Error Code 15

This morning I swapped in a different A9L, just to rule out hardware. Same BIN. Still got Error Code 15.

This seems to be linked to the BIN? I did not change much from what you had. Disabled patch, idle speed 900, tweaked mass air curve a touch

New problem, which seems to come with the delta-n modification(my old tune wasn't doing this). See the attachment(DFSO Spark Retard). When the throttle closes (Fuel_APT_last=-1), spark advance drops down to single digits. Looking at the tables added for Delta N it seems to be doing what they are set at. The question is....why? I'm getting exhaust backfires on decel, which I never had before.
DFSO Spark Retard.JPG
This table(FN111) seems weird to me.
FN111.JPG
multiplied by these(FN841, FN839)?
FN841.JPG
FN839.JPG
Also, and this is with both new and old tunes, when I'm cruising on the hairy edge of closed throttle(for me 60 mph, ~1750rpm), the motor goes lean and 'clunks'. This is happening when fuel_apt_last=0. It seems to be tied with the tp_rel_calc, when it drops between 10-15 counts. Below 10 it kicks into closed throttle, and it goes lean. Above 15, part throttle, back to normal. But when it drops below 15, above 10, it still seems to go lean. This is super annoying, as my drive to work is a 60mph 2 lane cruise. Any way to turn it off?
Part Throttle Lean condition.JPG
Am I missing something simple here?
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

that means you didnt diisable the kam clear patch correctly

what do you mean you didnt change much from what i had- disabled patch? disabled what patch?

spark is supposed to drop on closed throttle at higher rpms thats the objective

thats not backfires thats decel burble, it means you dont have enough delta pressure. You can simply kick up spark on decel to reduce it but in doing so it will tske longer for rpms to fall and youll have less torque reserve

nope, fueling has nothing to do with throttle position. Sounds like you need to dial in your fuel injectors.