MOATES -- FYI

Issues pertaining specifically to moates equipment belongs here.
J-man
Vehicle Information: 1988/FORD/Bronco/Eddie Bauer (Project)
Currently has 1996 302/E4OD with 96 dash and 96 front clip swap using all 1996 wiring including ADA3/AGANF/ML1-441
Have a 393W that I want install (one of these years) may use TIN3/AGANF/MLC-496 or CYP3/MPAL6/MLC-496 to run the stroker and E4OD?

2003/FORD/Expedition/Eddie Bauer (Daily Driver)
Stock 5.4 2V/4R70W HAP3/RKAOA/HPC-313 (I have a core 4R75W to rebuild and swap in)

My son and I recently got a 1991 Foxbody Mustang GT put together for him with parts from several cars. It has the stock 302, 5-speed, and A9L. Very sad that Moates is gone. Hoping the old Moates crew are all healthy and well. (Still Sad/Upset though)

Re: MOATES -- FYI

Unread post by J-man »

Would you part with one? Do you know if the Burn2 just had a special pigtail to connect it or if there was something more custom done to it? I feel weird thinking about reverse engineering something from Moates I think mostly out of respect. I really do think if they are done for good it's sad for a large group of people and I'm really only thinking of the Ford crowd. I hope the Moates crew are all ok and I'm thankful what they have done and for a long time too. I'm not thinking dollar signs so I wouldn't want anyone getting the wrong idea. Just a hobby for me, maybe someone else will try to pick up the torch.
xd4.1efisc
Vehicle Information: 1.
1981 Ford XD Falcon
L0E1 GURE
4.1 Inline XFlow 6 M112 Supercharged

1986 Ford XF Falcon
A9L GUFB
Standard 5.0 Ford V8

Unread post by xd4.1efisc »

Would you part with one? Do you know if the Burn2 just had a special pigtail to connect it or if there was something more custom done to it?
Sorry mate I won't part with them. I bought enough to cover myself, my brother and a mate, with a couple of spare.
The Brn2 has custom firmware (FIRMWARE 5.70 CARDONATOR).
It has an adaptor that goes between the Burn2 and the chip.
I will post some photos later on.

It is a shame that they have closed, it would have been nice if we had a warning, so we could have copied the documentation for the use of the equipment, given that they have also closed all the documentation down as well. That lacks respect for the customers who have supported them over the years.
wwhite
Vehicle Information: 1994 Flarside, XLT, 351w E4OD
SD48b, Quarter Horse, Burn2

Unread post by wwhite »

sailorbob wrote: 2022 Nov 30, 03:56 These memory chips are not available for the public to buy..
I don't see why a modern 28-pin AT28C64 or AT28C256 eeprom coudn't be socketed in place of the 24-pin, some repinning will be required.
We know the pin numbers, and the Mbus(Versa/VME standard) enables compatibility with standard off-the-shelf memory devices.

Old 87C66 and 87P66 were only good for about 100-200 erase/reprogram.

Time to get to work.
efloth
Vehicle Information: 1991 F150 4.9L J1X 80lb Injectors E85
1995 F150 5.8L MOB1

Unread post by efloth »

xd4.1efisc wrote: 2022 Nov 30, 05:51 Top photo was a Moates product not available to the public. I managed to purchase 8 of them last year. A custom Burn2 was also required to program them.
That is what I was thinking just not with a surface mount device!

Would you be able to send a pic of the memory device? I assume it is not publicly available as sailorbob states but it would be a good starting point.
xd4.1efisc
Vehicle Information: 1.
1981 Ford XD Falcon
L0E1 GURE
4.1 Inline XFlow 6 M112 Supercharged

1986 Ford XF Falcon
A9L GUFB
Standard 5.0 Ford V8

Unread post by xd4.1efisc »

Bottom of board.<br />ATMEL AT29C512
Bottom of board.
ATMEL AT29C512
Top of Board.<br />XILINX XC9572XL
Top of Board.
XILINX XC9572XL
Burn2, Adaptor, Chip Board.
Attached are the photos of the Moates Boards.
Sorry about the shit picture quality but my phone won't focus properly for some reason.

They are pretty much f3's that solder in place of the factory EPROM.
Moates also told me they can only be used on EEC-IV.
I think Moates supplied them to an ECU remanufacturer.
I never liked the way things hung out of the J3 port as a permanent setup, and last year had a customer/mate who I converted his F150 to A9L, and he did not like the possibility of the f3 working its way off the J3 port when 4wding, so I contacted Moates about getting some.

Below is a quote from my correspondence with Moates
. They are priced the same as F3v2 chips ($75) so you can order F3v2 chips and put a note in the 'Comments' that you want the special EECIV only internal chips. They do NOT work for 96+ applications.

To program them, there is a custom adapter required. $10. You can order a HDR1 (same price) and put a note that in the 'Comments' that you are after the custom EECIV Chip adapter, not the HDR1.

To program them, a BURN2 with custom firmware is required - $85. If you use your BURN1 for programming other chips, it would be a good idea to have a second programmer because the unique firmware required won't program "normal" chips.
I have to say Moates have always been very helpful over the years, going back to 2008 when I was using an Ostrich, the first one I bought was faulty they replaced it no questions asked.
Then the first QH I had stopped communicating to the PC, again they replaced it with a new one, at the same time they replaced my second one due to the battery troubles.
In this regard the customer service was bloody great, what has happened in the last week is weird, as others have said there must be more to the story.
Neald
Vehicle Information: 1989 Ford Bronco II
Stock 2.9 V6, A4ld trans.
CBAZA(6CYL Config)
Moates quarterhorse

Unread post by Neald »

Maybe they(Moates) will reactivate the website as an information only site so we can still access the documentation. I know they want out of the business and that is respectable. We all will want to retire some day. But respect for the customers should eventually have them come to a better solution on how to close the doors for good.
Sevensecondsuv
Vehicle Information: 1994 F-350 CCLB 7.5/ZF/4wd
1995 F-250 RCLB 4.9/T18/4wd
2000 Excursion 6.8/4R100/4wd
2001 Ranger RCSB 2.3/M5OD/2wd - turbocharged
2007 Town Car 4.6/4R75E
2011 Ranger SCSB 2.3/M5OD/2wd
wbo2_aem_uego

Unread post by Sevensecondsuv »

Somebody on the moates facebook group said something about they approached Moates about buying the IP rights and they weren't interested in selling. There's really only one logical reason to give that answer. So take that FWIW.
Neald
Vehicle Information: 1989 Ford Bronco II
Stock 2.9 V6, A4ld trans.
CBAZA(6CYL Config)
Moates quarterhorse

Unread post by Neald »

Sounds like outside influence...
v8garage
Vehicle Information: 1953 Ford F100
5.0 H.O. from '94 Mustang GT
AFR 165cc Renegade Heads
XE274HR-12 Comp Cam
BBK SSI Intake
30lb Bosch injectors
Pro-M 75mm MAF
70mm Throttle Body
T4M0 ECU

Unread post by v8garage »

If you want to download any documentation that was on the Moates website you can do so from the internet archive "Wayback Machine". See the link below:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221023070 ... oates.net/

or navigate to web.archive.org then type "moates.net" into the search bar and press the "BROWSE HISTORY" button. That should take you to a calendar of dates when the website was archived. Choose any date prior to Nov 23, 2022, that will take you to an archive of the website from that date and you can navigate to the documents that you want to copy and save.
MX-Brad
Vehicle Information: 1990 5.0 swapped Miata T5 7.5irs w/3.27

Unread post by MX-Brad »

According to a post on the Corral, MF Kustoms will be producing/selling the Quarterhorse. Decipha probably knows stuff, but is being very quiet. :)