G. Gullatt beginner TunerPro exploration and questions

All hardware related, disassembly / programming and code discussions belong here.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

G. Gullatt beginner TunerPro exploration and questions

Unread post by ATPCR »

Recently I downloaded RZASA XDF file and was looking at it in notebook. Per advice I deleted the copy of that file in case that I corrupted it. Last night I downloaded TunerPro to the home Windows 7 laptop successfully. I also downloaded the RZASA XDF file and the MPON bin file. I have carefully been looking at different lines in the file and have a few questions. Remember that this is all very new to me. I like how you can hold the mouse pointer over a line and it gives you a description. I see some lines start with a PI symbol in front of some lines. What does this mean? Also I clicked on a line with a chart type graphic and it opens a table. I have been carefully backing out of these as to not make any changes.
Am I in the section of everything to make changes to PATS, engine cubic inches, rear gear ratio, rear tire size and turning off the rear O2 sensors?
After I make changes do I click "save as" and will that be to the bin file or the XDF file? And I understand that I would name it something like GregGmodMPon230305.XDF? I will not be adding the file to the forum as to cause anyone problems with a file that I have modified as a "rookie". Thanks for any answers and guidance.
If I have posted in the wrong section of the forum, feel free to move it. Thanks MP and others.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Re: G. Gullatt beginner TunerPro exploration and questions

Unread post by ATPCR »

I've downloaded TunerPro to the new Windows 10 OS Dell and all seems to be working well.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

read the getting started write up
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

OK. I've only been working with a XDF and a BIN file. I have found engine displacement, type of V-8, rear gear ratio. I still need to calculate tire revolutions per mile. I need to compare pounds per minute of the MAFs. I assume that I'm on the right track with this. I'm wanting a RZASA PCM to control a '97 Mountaineer 5.0 converted to coil-near-plug. I'm still looking for the PATS. There is over 1600 lines with the PI symbol next to them.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

see 2 posts up
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Should I configure TunerPro as if I were using a QH even though I'm going to use a pass thru device doing it the OBDII Flashing method utilizing
PCMflash from ECUTOOLS.EU? My pass thru hasn't arrived yet, I won't acquire PCMflash for a few weeks and don't even own a 2003-04 Ford full size sedan PCM yet. Am I correct that I can just work on the BIN and XDF file for now?
Also if I have already loaded TunerPro on my new laptop and not the RT version, will the RT version write over the plain version or do I have to delete it and start over? Thanks for your patience, Michael.
ADDED: At this time, I don't plan on doing any real time tuning if the means adjusting the tune while the engine is running. I've looked at all of this until I'm bug eyed. I'll start over tomorrow.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Quoted from "How to get started"
"OBD-II Flashing
OBD-II flashing is available on 1996-2020 vehicles and is the only means of reprogramming the 2005-2020 pcm's. I use and highly recommend the Mongoose Pro Ford made by Drewtech. Its a bit of an expensive piece but comes fully equipped and includes the 19v pull-up for reflashing ford PWM (1996-2004 EEC-Vs). There are other more affordable options, but I have yet to try any so until then I can only recommend what works for me. If you try out one of the budget modules with success, please do let me know and I will update this accordingly.
The OBD-II cable can also be used to flash FINAL tunes to EEC-Vs (1996-2004) as well. This will allow you to remove the QH and use it to tune another vehicle. However, the OBD-II cable DOES NOT SUPPORT REALTIME TUNING. It is NOT RECOMMENDED to tune EEC-V with an OBD-II cable only. A Moates quarterhose is REQUIRED to real-time tune all EEC's.
PCMflash from ECUTOOLS.EU
In order to read and write through the OBD-II port you will need software to specifically do so. I highly recommend PCMflash from ecutools.ru. The creator Oleg is a stand up guy and always happy to help out. You will need to order the dongle with the following modules for the specific vehicle you are tuning. I recommend just buying all 4 modules regardless."
I read this and I interpret it to be that I can flash tune through the OBDII port. In my case where I'm using a basically stock Ford 5.0 and a stock 2003 PCM from a 4.6, adjust the specifics from 4.6 to the 5.0, "flash program" the PCM and it should all work. Am I missing something or for my specific application will this work? I know a QH hasn't been involved, but I will be using a lightly adjusted RZASA strategy to do this. Or is it way more complicated than I'm making it out to be? Again, thanks for your help.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

You can do it that way but it literally takes 10x longer (120 sec vs 12 sec) to write each change and you cannot datalog properly.

but it can be done