Dehumidifier help - can't find one

Come shoot the shit and post nonsense or sense which ever floats your boat or sinks your ship

Dehumidifier help - can't find one

Unread postby decipha » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:12 pm

So with a new born in the house I'm looking for a dehumidifier. I cannot seem to find one that doesn't have some type of major design issue or reoccurring pump failures. I've looked at every single one offered on amazon and not a single one was use-able.

I'm almost tempted to buy one with a known design flaw mount it on an incline and rig up a garden hose fitting to an aquarium pump using a high and low level with a backup shut off pressure sensor for safety as it seems no one knows how to design one correctly or with any reliability.

If anyone know of any and can link one please do as I am in the market and looking to purchase one tonight.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer

Re: Dehumidifier help - can't find one

Unread postby Batx00 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:19 am

Yep, that is my impression on those things. I bought one about a year ago for our 55 foot long metal shipping/storage containers. I think it is a Frigidaire but didn't remember what the model number is. It has a built-in tank/bucket in the bottom and garden hose fitting (which I haven't used yet). Almost all of the inexpensive dehumidifiers (non commercial units) that I have seen are a tank style you have to empty out. Some have hose fittings for continuous draining into a floor drain and I think there is one model you can get with a pump in the bucket but I think you had to purchased it from the manufacturer because none of the web stores had it in stock. If you're using it in the house, I would definitely recommend putting a chlorine tablet or a little bleach in it every so often, stuff does grow in the water collection tank. Make sure you buy one that is big enough for the square footage your house or room because they are rated to remove X many gallons of water per hour/day on continuous mode in perfect conditions. Oh and the fan runs all the time, even when the bucket is full of water or when the desired humidity level is reached.
Batx00
General Poster

Name: Marshall
Vehicle Information: 1995 Mustang GT 5.0L electronics/wiring harnesses swapped into 1978 Mustang II Cobra II body, roller cam long block from 96 explorer 5.0, E303 cam, 24lb injectors, T5 trans swap, 94/95 5.0 bellhousing. TunerPro RT, QuarterHorse. Sheet metal body work in progress, not running yet.
Vehicle 2 Information: 2006 Mustang V6, will be getting 5.4 Navi engine swap and supercharged. About 650hp at first, then probably upgrade blower and go higher. In the planning stages.

Unread postby blocmi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Of course my dehumidifier's humidistat is broken and discontinued, so it will only work if I set it to run continuously... which causes it to freeze up and not work...
I feel your pain.

On the bright side I found a solution to reliably removing the water...
I drain mine via garden hose fitting on the dehumidifier into the condensate pump for my central AC and furnace.
blocmi
Advanced Tuner

Name: Mike
Vehicle Information: 1995 Ford Mustang GT, 170K miles, CBAZA, U4P2, Quarterhorse, TunerPro RT, EEC Analyzer, AEM WB, GT40 Heads & Intake with minor porting, E303, BBK 70MM TB, Cold Air Intake, 24lb Injectors, Stock replacement MAF, Stock FPR, OR X-Pipe, AODE, 2200-2600 stall converter, Shift Kit, 4:10,

Unread postby dleach1407 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 pm

The one I have I got on Amazon. I have been using it for years.. I have it connected directly to a drain so I do not ever need to drain it. Ill see if I can find the model number

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FAD70 ... 00AU7GZXE/

I have had no issues with mine. When I use it, it runs for about 5 weeks continuously on the highest setting and then gets a break for a month or 2 then repeat. Ive had it for 4 years now. Anything that has a built in humidistat isnt going to be very usefull. I would suggest getting a remote humidistat and run an extension cord to keep the unit away from the humidistat.
dleach1407
A+ Contributor

Vehicle Information: 1995 Mustang T5 CBAZA/T4M2 Moates QH BE or TpRT
331 10.2:1 compression, TFS 11r 190 56cc heads
HPX MAF 3.25 OD tube with SaxonPC air straightener
F303 Cam, 1.6 Miller Mid-Lift rockers
T5 with an XTD clutch that somehow holds my power
80lb Dekas, Stock lines and rails 340LPH in tank
Minor upgraded T5 with counter gear stiffening plate
76mm On3 turbo, HP hotside, Custom coldside
560WHP and 606TQ 8lbs tapering to 6 91 octane
27degrees total timing.
Vehicle 2 Information: 1957 Ford F100
Mustang II front suspension -done
C-notched rear frame - done
Luxury ECU using RZASA - have
Fuel injected explorer 302 - have
4r70W -have

Lots of stuff planned including air bags and twin 55mm turbos.

Return to The Range