Fuel pump relay buzz

Used only on the 03/04 Marauder but can be used on any 03/04 ecu with code changes. Uses newer style SCP array so will not control cluster correctly on 2004 and older fords that use the older style SCP array such as mustangs.
Johnnyfast
Vehicle Information: INDS, EODE E85 1997 Ford F-150 extended cab 4x4 4.6 2v PI head swapped, coil on plug, 4R70W trans J mod, 4:11 gears, Dual lightning 255 lph fuel pumps,-6 an fuel lines, Deka 80# injectors, 90mm maf, 04 marquis computer, frame mounted
Eaton M112 roots blower Water intercooled.

Fuel pump relay buzz

Unread post by Johnnyfast »

1997 ford f150 4.6l 2v 4x4 return style fuel system.
Using RZASA and a computer from 04 mercury marqui.
Pdno and deipha adx. Actual relay wired near the fuel pumps has a 60 hz buzz. Fuel pumps and pressure with ignition on not just cranking. I think I may have switched on a wrong patch. Switched to 97 f150 harness with coil on plug. I think coils are wired different between 97 and 04,
Johnnyfast
Vehicle Information: INDS, EODE E85 1997 Ford F-150 extended cab 4x4 4.6 2v PI head swapped, coil on plug, 4R70W trans J mod, 4:11 gears, Dual lightning 255 lph fuel pumps,-6 an fuel lines, Deka 80# injectors, 90mm maf, 04 marquis computer, frame mounted

Re: Fuel pump relay buzz

I remember reading the alternator voltage regulator wires need to be switched on the 03 cobra and the marquis is also an 03. If the voltage regulator is hooked up backwards by plugging in the 03 marquis pcm. That could cause all the relays to chatter.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

You need to set the tune for the a returnless fuel system and the fuel pump will function correctly. Details are on the homepage under reference >> tuning tips.

http://www.efidynotuning.com/tips.htm

97 f150 4.6 has coil packs. You need to set the coil pack VCAMHP switch in the tune. Hold down control and press F in tunerpro to make the find box pop up and type in cop. Make sure you have those set correctly. Then search for coil pack and make sure you have those set correctly.

I see in your profile you list coil on plug swapped. If you've wired up the coils then leave it as is. The master pinout for RZASA is on the homepage if you need to reference it.

If you have an ECT sensor and not a CHT sensor then make sure you have the ECT Sensor patch enabled.

You should really toss the Baumann and let the ecu control the trans there's a ton you can do there to make it significantly more drive-able than the Baumann is capable of.
Johnnyfast

It’s comforting to know if I can find the right settings for the return style fuel pumps. And double check the wiring for the coils. At least I have landed on the right tune and a pcm that can run it. I plugged in the RZASA pcm and at least the pats didn’t come on. The 97 dosent have pats.

Was confused about the coil on plug wiring between the old style and new style. It would appear the plugs are the same but they are switched 180 degrees. I am using a newer 03/04 marquis computer that’s wired the same as the cobra and old style coils. That could be why I’m not getting spark.
Cougar281
Vehicle Information: 1995 Mercury Cougar
2002 PI 4.6L V8
1999 J-Modded 4R70W
2004 PTP2 PCM

Unread post by Cougar281 »

I have a 95 Cougar, return style fuel, with a 2004 Mustang PCM, COP swapped, etc, and I have the same issue with the relay buzz... no FBFG2 tuning solution I've found can make it work right, not even decipha's FBFG2 tunerpro strategy, however, it does work 100% correct with his FBGI0 strategy and base file, but there's a big learning curve for me to get the car to run right on that base file. For now, without a better option until I am at a point where I'd want to pay for a custom tune based on his FBGI0 strategy (which would be after I finally swap the DOHC motor I have on a stand in), I've grounded out the CCRM fuel pump relay so if the key is on, the pump is on. Not ideal, but it functions. The RZASA strategy may be different than the FBFG2, and changing the appropriate settings in the tune may make it work right as it does in the FBGI0 tune, but if it doesn't, you may have to resort to grounding the fuel pump relay like I had to.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

why would you do that?

fbfg2 is obsolete

send me your cureent fbfg2 tune and fbgi0 tune and a vehicle info sheet and ill shoot it back to you. Takes all of 5 minutes. Buzzing relay and hard wiring is non sense when you have full control at your finger tips.