Introduction of myself and my best girl

Non specific forum to post pic's or link(s) to video(s) of your vehicle(s). Be sure to include your goals with your vehicle.

Introduction of myself and my best girl

Unread postby TrickyRicky81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Rick and I would like to say hello from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan up here in Canada. A little about me. When I was in high school (1995-1999ish) the fox body was not the current body style but a few guys in school had them. At the time it was my dream car, I can still remember the first ride I ever had in one and the first time I got to drive one (this was the car I learned how to drive manual on). I told myself that no matter what that one day I would own one. Fast forward almost 20 years later into 2015 I come across one on a buy and sell facebook group for my local area, Looks half decent on paper and the guy was asking about $5000 (I guess about $3500 US as most of you are Americans). The guy brings it to my work and well the paint was actually half decent and the car was not completely rusted out. I take it for a ride and well has some issues, (headliner was sagging due to an obvious sunroof leak, and basically had no tires left.) I end up picking it up for about $3500 CDN as he was pretty reasonable and I thought to myself hey I can fix this stuff. After work I take it home and on the way home the smog pump seizes and i shred a belt. So begins the journey of the my fox, named Black Mamba or BM for short from this point on.

During the first few months I do some upgrades which are mistakingly costly that I will refer to here shortly. Some minor interior work cleaning it up, headliner, door seals etc, so I can get most of the wind noise and rattles out. After having it in storage this winter. We get extremely brutal winters here so the "performance car" driving season is essentially May - Sep/Oct 5months at best. I pulled it out in the spring and was reconnecting the battery terminals and I notice a little white fuzz behind the battery and decide to pull the battery and investigate further. When i pull the battery my heart sinks when i see the pool of battery acid that has been leaking and seeping all over that section of the car for the better part of 8 months. Corrosion, Rust, Cancer, everywhere. Into the frame rails, almost to the shock towers. So begins the project of 2017. It was supposed to be just clean up all the rust and get some rust paint in there until i have time to actually do it properly. Well the thing with me is once I start something I want to do it, and do it right the first time. I also tucked all the wires to the fenders as this is a look I always liked and all you should see is plug wires when its done looking in, plus the odd sensor IAC etc.

Before/After of the rust
2017_5.jpg

2017_6.jpg

Starting on that section cause me to gut and strip down to the metal the entire engine bay, see following
2017_1.jpg

2017_2.jpg

2017_3.jpg

2017_7.jpg

With the motor down to the block, I decide to spend some time cleaning up the pistons. see following before/after
2017_8.jpg

At this point might as well do the heads cam and intake, see following
2017_9.jpg

Obviously with this getting close to completion I wanted to have it tuned. Getting close to completion was a month ago and the things still not done. (I should be less than a week out now however.) There is only one guy who really tunes performance vehicles in our town here. Also a mustang enthusiast, he has a 4eyed fox that runs high 8's in the 1/4 and also a Newer shelby. The only thing is a dyno tune is $1,200 CDN. 1200 is a lot to me, and this only tunes the vehicle for the current setup and I can guarantee the car will be getting more in the future I am not even kidding myself. So I would have to keep paying for retunes. I am one that is willing to learn how to do things myself. Ive never went that deep into a motor before but did it. Ive never painted an engine bay or used a spray gun before but did it. I have a history in computers so I am sure I will pick it up.

I picked up the QH and have been playing around with the GUFx strategy and have been following Decipha's posts for about a month now. I've read the getting started pages several times trying to get a handle on it all as I like to find out answers for myself even if it takes longer as I don't want to be a bother with silly questions. The first day I loaded it up, man was I overwhelmed. I thought what did I get myself into. The solution was to focus on one thing at a time, and not try and learn more than one thing at a time. I think i struggled with fuel breakpoint and how it was calculated for the fox for an entire day but suddenly it started making sense.

I hope to dive into it fully and learn it all, however I may consider taking in Decipha's tuning that he offers as well its now August and I havent even driven the car 50km this year. (36ish miles to you Americans haha). I wish I had the time to dial it in myself but am just running out. I would like at least a month with my car this year. As a side note thanks Decipha for all the work you do on the GUF strategy and it seems like you genuinely like helping people. That is hard to find these days and that makes you good in my books.

Fast forward to today. I am trying to get rid of any outstanding issued before I even start asking for tuning advice. I think when I first got the car to fire up I had 14 codes registered. (Mostly emissions related as I gutted everything tad/tab/can purge/smog/tubes/vacuum lines/tree etc. I only have vacuum running to my fpr, brake booster, and pcv). Also have a nasty vacuum leak somewhere im guessing as I only run about 8-10 on the vacuum scale, I've checked everything with a line, pulled the upper intake and re gasketed to no avail. My guess its in the block to lower intake as really thats all thats left, the carb cleaner / brake clean didnt register anything anywhere so I am going to construct a smoke machine and hopefully smoke it this weekend. Although at this point I may just run it with low vacuum for the rest of the season and deal with it over the winter.

The last code I am fighting with is code 15 which is KAM memory. Now i dont know if this has anything to do with the QH being installed or if its the fact i keep disconnecting the battery so much (have on kill switch) when I start fiddling with things. I guess I should also mentioned that I did disassemble the a9L to repair the ground trace that obviously someone had burnt out im guessing by hooking up the wrong connector while doing a self test. My signal return voltages were all over the place and the car bogged a lot for the longest time. While i was in there, i noticed the 3 capacitors leaking and green fuzzing all over the board. Well, time to learn how to fine solder. Did those 3 caps put everything back together and started up, no codes. So maybe something i messed with in there has since caused it? I guess best way to find out would be to pull the QH and see if 15 goes away.

Last night was finally the point where I would feel comfortable driving it for over a block (minus the code 15), so the fenders will be going back on tonight and see what happens. Also have to wire the electric fans back in on some relays. Too many things to do, not enough time.

If you've read this far I
a) apologize for the long post,
b) thank you for sticking with me this far and
c) wish you the best of luck with all of your vehicles.

In closing there is some things ive learned that I would like to share about this whole ordeal.

1) I am extremely jealous of those of you who live in the US for ease of finding parts. This exchange on your dollar and shipping is JUST killing me.
2) When you think something is going to take X amount of time, use the following formula instead X * 2 (min) to X * 4
3) Dont mess with the Foxs ignition components, Dizzy, Coil, etc. I've now had to replace the TFI, the PIP and the coil back to motorcraft. All MSD components failed in under 2,000 kms. (Over the span of 2 years, a costly stupid mistake on my behalf but did I learn my lesson there.) Ive also kept everything that Ive ever taken off this car except the one thing that disappeared was the distributor. Great. At least I found the coil see following point
4) You will go mental trying to find out why your timing mark is bouncing around while trying to time the vehicle, You think shit balancer, everything, why does it sound likes it missing . The screamin demon coil I had was strong enough to run and drive the car but at higher loads was causing huge misses, and slight missing at idle. STAY WITH THE STOCK DIZZY AND COIL, maybe do a TFI relocate if you want to prevent the heat soak.
5) I've pulled plugs more times than anyone will think is humanly reasonable. Use a little anti-seize on the plug threads, I had a bad night one night was over tired and threaded a plug wrong into the aluminum heads, and almost mentally broke down when i realized my fuck up. I think I recovered but only time will tell.
6) I probably could have rattle canned the engine bay paint job and saved a lot of money and time.
7) bolts will break on 30 year old cars and there will be times you will fight for hours with something. Not everything will line up perfectly the first time, dont just call it "close enough" .
8) having a second set of hands to help is the best tool you can have at times. Ive had to solo a lot of things and one thing that took me hours could be done in minutes with 2 people.
9) Dont rush and stress yourself out with deadlines you set for yourself, take your time do it right.
10) Dont just start replacing parts when something is wrong, identify the condition, pull the codes and do the research, something you think is completely unrelated can be related in an unrelated manner. Lol.
11) I would never have the time to undertake something like this with a significant other, so I kicked her to the curb, didnt much like her anymore anyways. Haha
12) Dont give up, these cars will forgive a lot of mistakes.
13)Wish i would have went to a bigger injector from the get go. Going from 19s to 24s and spending that kind of money was foolish. I feel dumb.
14)Dont use poly bushings on rear upper control arms, the car will ride like shit if you drive it on the street. Stick with rubber up top, and maybe poly on the lowers if you go tubular style.
15)DO NOT underestimate the importance of PROPER grounds, everyhing needs a ground and one that is half ass there will cause EVERYTHING to misbehave and drive you crazy. Ensure solid connections From Batt/Block Block/Firewall, etc.
16)Referring to number 15, A multimeter is your best friend. Get some / Make some longer test leads and some wire probes.
17)Fuck leaking batteries.

Now I know a lot of this got away from the whole tuning part of it, but I learned a lot from my mistakes and I hope my lessons can at least save 1 person some frustration. Thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrickyRicky81
General Poster

Name: Rick
Vehicle Information: 1991 Mustang LX, A9L, Quarter Horse, GUFX, BE / TunerPro RT

Re: Introduction of myself and my best girl

Unread postby TrickyRicky81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Oh and heres the pics of what she actually looks like when complete. Short post this time.

20170725_233601_resized_2 (Large).jpg
20170725_232944_resized_2 (Large).jpg
20170511_182402_resized (Large).jpg
2017_16.jpg
2017_15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrickyRicky81
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 1991 Mustang LX, A9L, Quarter Horse, GUFX, BE / TunerPro RT

Unread postby decipha » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 pm

welcome to the forum, no worries about the long post that's what this section is for, not to mention its your thread you can do with it as you please

i spy with my little eye a new master cylinder on there too, she looks nice you can tell when someone really spends time on their vehicles, the efforts do show

you've done everything else to your car you might as well tune it, you can pay me to do it but im not going to do it directly, i'll take you step by step and tell you what to change and why but you'll be the one making all the changes, you've done everything else to the car i'd hate for you not to be the one to tune it, i'll show you go to go through the datalogs too and calc out the errors and update the tune accordingly, i do that for all the premium members to some extent
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby TrickyRicky81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks for the positive encouragement decipha, I value your input. Yes the master is new, And the brake lines are all custom bent, I'm running them through the cowl area actually for the long runs from driver to passenger with the line lock plumbed in the fender as well.

Any thoughts on the code 15? Although I know the answer before I even ask the question. Spend 5 minutes and probe the appropriate pins to check for ECM issues. I guess I am just wondering in your experience if you've seen the code 15 KAM code come up before using a QH and your strategies. Obviously I don't want to even start asking for your services/help while the car still has codes stored.

In relation to that, thoughts on my vacuum reading? Is it even worth tuning with a vacuum reading that low? Will everything be skewed out too far? It's driving me crazy, which is why I want to smoke it. I actually had a low reading last week, but the needle had a 5in swing.. bouncing between 4 and 9 and would vibrate to all hell. That had me pull the intake and valve covers and look at my valve adjustments. Being the first time I ever did rockers, I installed them improperly. The rotating arm I guess I would call it in the middle of the rocker had a cylindical shape side on one end and a flat side for the end the lock nut is supposed to sit flush on. I did not know this and mistakingly installed half of them wrong. Luckily I caught it before it caused any serious issues/damage. The vacuum reading stabilized quite a bit after that, however it still seems like it vibrates and is not steady albeit much less now, vibrating in 1 unit now. Seems like this pulse or vibration suggests worn valve guides, but everything is new down there? After i assembled it all back up, reading more steady but still low. Which leads me to believe lower intake gaskets/ RTV beads. I know a cammed setup will have a lower reading but Im thinking 8 - 10 is still way too low.. should be like 13-15, especially since its not that aggressive of a cam.
TrickyRicky81
General Poster

Unread postby decipha » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:14 pm

code 15 means the tune wasnt saved before it was written, its nothing just the checksum isnt correct

10 in of vac is fine
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby TrickyRicky81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks! Quick fix for clearing the 15? When i clear codes it keeps coming back. Just re write the tune making sure its saved? Just at work right now, will get er fixed up when I get home.
TrickyRicky81
General Poster

Return to Garage & Project / Build Forum