4 pin maf ground seperation

All hardware related, disassembly / programming and code discussions belong here.
redtopracer
Vehicle Information: 98 mustang gt 5 spd

4 pin maf ground seperation

Unread post by redtopracer »

Im using a 4 pin cobra 90mm maf on a megasquirt setup and running into some "ford" electrical issues.
Seems the megasquirt system gets real finicky when the sensor ground and engine ground are connected outside of the megasquirt, and they even tell you its big no no in the manual.
Ive traced it back to the maf, seems ford connected the 12v power ground and sensor ground inside of the maf.
Ive reached out to the makers of the hardware and gotten , " megasquirt is designed primarily for a map" as a response.
So i was wondering if theres a way to crack open the maf and seperate the 2 ground paths.
BOOSTEDEVERYTHING
Vehicle Information: 1999 Ford Ranger with 2000 Explorer v8 swap, FLN0
2003 Ford F150 Harley Davidson, Built 5.4L SOHC with 3.4L Whipple and Built 4R100

Re: 4 pin maf ground seperation

Unread post by BOOSTEDEVERYTHING »

There is a 12v power ground for the heater and a signal return (not really a ground) that is supposed to go back to the pcm for signal puroses. What type of issue are you having? you Should be able to run the ground wire of the mass air to a good ground with the rest of the chassis type grounds that you have run to about the same place as the ground for the megasquirt.
Also..last time I was using megasquirts they needed to be modified internally for proper operation with a MAF sensor. Really they run better with MAP that MAF. The auto tune function for drivability is spot on!!!

I attached a wiring diagram for the 2004 cobra for clarification.
Attachments
cobra.pdf
(28.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet