You know the sound...

Come shoot the shit or scope out the scenery. Either way this is for all non specific posts.
RIKIL
Vehicle Information: Red, 1992 F150, 351W, 4R70W (converted), Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires

You know the sound...

Unread post by RIKIL »

I've been down on my luck lately with my own truck but I was driving with my girl and I just started laughing. She asked me what was up and I told her it was the Challenger a few spots up. A good ear could tell that the sound was coming from the motor and it wasn't just a muffler. This thing was a rare beast.

Serious note... After going through the process of building a new motor and having a custom tune, you can hear the difference down the street. Some people put on a loud muffler, but a good ear can hear it in the motor.

Thanks D for all you taught me
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: You know the sound...

Unread post by decipha »

We have 3 challenger shop cars two hellcats and a demon. Even with full bolts on our stock new gt500 puts a hurting on the two hellcats. The demon is another story. So a chopping hellcat is no real concern in the real world lol.
RIKIL
Vehicle Information: Red, 1992 F150, 351W, 4R70W (converted), Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires

Re: You know the sound...

Unread post by RIKIL »

I was outside of an auto parts store today and I heard a truck start. It was some mid 1960s Chevy and had absolutely no muffler whatsoever. I do appreciate the power of new motors but when a classic like that starts up and you see someone's head turn... you know that's a gear head.

The street where I grew up, there was a guy who had a 1974 Dodge Dart with a 440 that he made into a 1/4 mile racer. For about the first 15 years I lived there, this Dart was not street legal, but he didn't race it anymore. Every once in a while he would start the motor just to keep it running well.

After about 15 years, he wanted to drive it on the street. So he did the minimum needed to make it street legal. Lights and things like that. He put headers on there that were so big, he had to do a 3 point turn to get in the driveway. I grew up in Orange County, so it's not like the streets were very wide.

At one time he thought of selling it and some people came to look at it, but couldn't sell it. Too many memories. I feel the same with my truck. It's worthless to someone else but priceless to me. I've owned it since 1996, it's taken me to Mexico, northern CA, Colorado and not to mention the stories that go along with that.