How to install a Cam Sync?? 351 Cleveland

For anything machine shop / speed shop or engine specific. More technical than the range but not quite tuning specific.
AcesArneson
Vehicle Information: 1973 Mustang Convertible
351 Cleveland 2V conversion to EFI (Ford EEC-V) dyno’d at 441hp @6000 rpm on a 750 CFM shop carb. Edelbrock 61629 heads 10.66:1 compression
-Donor car for EFI wiring harness is a 2003 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L CoP
Intake for EFI is a Weiand 7516 with bungs welded into runners.
FMX transmission swapped out to rebuilt 4R70W from a 2003 Mustang with J mod

How to install a Cam Sync?? 351 Cleveland

Unread post by AcesArneson »

Hey gang, finally got my 351 Cleveland back from the shop. The builder Dyno'd it for a couple pulls with a shop 750 cfm carb to let me know what ballpark I am in. It chimed in at 441hp @6000rpm with 414 ftlbs at 5200 rpm with a total of 32 degrees total timing. I brought it home and am installing the SEFI ignition system but ran into a couple snags. Can anyone point me to some information for installing the Cam Sync? I bought one from Price Motorsports, he said it is based on the Explorer 1998-2000 sync so I bought the Ford set of alignment tool caps for installation but none of the four caps seems to fit perfectly. The cam sync I got from Price didn't come with an alignment tool. Is there a way to install it without the guide? The sync has a half moon indicator.
Second question is about the Crank Sensor. I have a 36 tooth wheel that will bolt right on to the end of the crank and I found a sensor/mount package from the Innovators. Any help on installing the sensor in the correct spot with proper advance would be wildly helpful. It looks like it bolts right on to where the timing indicator is bolted, which I am guessing is no longer useful since the sensor is now the timing mark (I am assuming).
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: How to install a Cam Sync?? 351 Cleveland

Unread post by decipha »

ofg the top of my head the half moons leading edge goes to the middle of the sensor at 26 degrees atdc. Thats for a v6 so need to verify for v8.

RZASA is a vr cam input though so it should be a single tang cam sync. 98 explorer had a different cam sensor from 99-01 it had the older hall effect half moon where as the newer used vr.

you still need the pointer to verify timing is what is commanded.
AcesArneson
351 Cleveland 2V conversion to EFI (Ford EEC-V) dyno’d at 441hp @6000 rpm on a 750 CFM shop carb. Edelbrock 61629 heads 10.66:1 compression

It is definitely half moon with 3 wires. I thought Hall Effect was necessary for SEFI? And VR is used for Crank? This engine is CoP. If the plugs wear out from too much heat I am thinking of switch to CnP with plug wires.

The engine just had the Dyno completed and the distributor is still bolted down at 32 degrees total timing. Would this help me position the Cam Sync if I took the distributor to the cylinder 1 firing position then cut back 6 degrees of timing using the balancer markings and drew a mark where the distributor cap sensor is centered? I am assuming the leading edge of the half moon would need to be aligned with this mark to bring the Cam Sync to 26 degrees.

Ok thanks, makes sense the pointer needs to verify actual timing. I assumed the VR sensor for the Crank position would end up in the same spot but now see it is adjustable.

My 36-1 wheel is not installed yet but has bolt holes that line up with the dampener. Do you know where I should line up the VR sensor on this?
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

VR replaced hall effect in 99. Henry hadnt used it since.

26 is for a v6 u need to see what it is for a v8 it may be different, but no you wamt to actually turn it there using the pointer and set it to which ever a v8 needs

theres only one correct location for the missing tooth for 35 tooth reluctors. dont recall what it is ottomh but its not tdc
AcesArneson

Ok I switched the Hall Effect cap and stem with a V6 VR cap and stem but I am unsure of where to line up the alignment tool to.
Does anyone have any clue where I can find out where to point the arrow on the alignment tool for a 351C?

Also looking for information on where to set the missing tooth on my 36-1 reluctor wheel and where to align the VR sensor.

This ignition system is SEFI with CoP using an EEC-V from a 2003 Town Car. Just want to confirm I only need one oxygen sensor for N/A dual exhaust. I thought I needed to monitor both headers with an O2 sensor if there was separate pipes. I am planning on an H pipe crossover, if there is a reason I should use an X pipe instead please give me your thoughts.